Thread: No Country For Old Men - Best Picture!

Default No Country For Old Men - Best Picture!

This movie just won best picture!

For everyone who has not seen it, you need to! It is really good!

it totally totally deserved it! what a fantastic movie. best thing the cohens have done in a long time.

now i want to read the book. i read one of cormac mccarthy's previous books -- "blood meridian" -- and it was simultaneously one of the most beautiful and most chilling things i've ever read.

I really enjoyed it!
    I knew it was going to be good because the cinema in my town didn't show it.
    It's was worth the trip to go and see though!

"Chigurh's distinctive look was derived from a 1979 photo from a book supplied by Tommy Lee Jones which featured photos of brothel patrons on the Texas-Mexico border. Describing his "extraordinary moptop haircut," he said, "You don't have to act the haircut. The haircut acts by itself." "

EmeraldsAndLime

I was dragged along to this movie by a friend. Having saw the preview I thought it looked rather bland and boring.

I left the cinema amazed and feeling great. That kind of good feeling you get when you haven't seen such awesomeness in a movie in a long time.

Brilliant movie, definitely deserves the wins it got.

I've been on the outside of the circles that saw this movie.

I believe there are portions of it that deserve praise -- notably, Javier Bardem's cold and calculating brilliance of a character -- and though it was a good, well-rounded film, it really wasn't mind-blowing to me.

In comparison to award-winning films of the past, this one just felt to me like it was an art-house picture made specifically to be an art-house picture. I thought that the plot was bland and unremarkable; I thought that some of the characters were too stupid for their own good, and thus, not good protagonists; I thought it dragged on way too long.

I know that people complain about the ending... but that was one of my big complaints. As opposed to get me thinking, as I'm sure it was probably meant to do, I finished the movie feeling like the directors and producers had given me one huge, holy "F**k you, you gullible dumbshit! You can never get these two hours back!" I understood the artistic meaning. I completely understood Tommy Lee Jones' monologue at the end. I just think that either way, it's a cheap way to end a film.

So yeah, as you can see, I was never much a big fan of No Country For Old Men. It's a good movie, don't get me wrong ... but I don't necessarily think it's deserving of all of the accolades it's been provided.

I knew this movie where gonna get some awards after I first saw it! The movie is definitly last years best movie! but then again it was made by the Coen brothers so ofcourse it would be balls kicking

Quote Originally Posted by Rance View Post
    I know that people complain about the ending... but that was one of my big complaints. As opposed to get me thinking, as I'm sure it was probably meant to do, I finished the movie feeling like the directors and producers had given me one huge, holy "F**k you, you gullible dumbshit! You can never get these two hours back!" I understood the artistic meaning. I completely understood Tommy Lee Jones' monologue at the end. I just think that either way, it's a cheap way to end a film.

So yeah, as you can see, I was never much a big fan of No Country For Old Men. It's a good movie, don't get me wrong ... but I don't necessarily think it's deserving of all of the accolades it's been provided.

Well, I have heard the ending for this movie is very close to the ending in the book.

Oh, it is! The book was a very good read, but that's where the problem lies (at least to me). The ending, in the novel, was very well done. Yet, in translation, it seemed very peculiar and lumbering on screen. I think my biggest problem was that I had nothing to grasp onto, nothing to carry away from the film afterwards, but the book was satisfying enough in itself. In my brain, it was a flaw of production as opposed to a flaw of acting, as all of the actors played their parts awesomely!