Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADISC downtime

Default ADISC downtime

Thanks Moo for working so hard to get ADISC back up and running.

What has everybody been doing with their spare time while not on ADISC?

Was anybody worried ADISC was not coming back?

I found the tweet about DDOS attack, so knew that Moo was working on it. Why would someone do that to us little innocents?

Hope everyone is ok. I missed the forum

Quote Originally Posted by Little2Roo View Post
    Stupid, non-computer type question. What does DDOS stand for?
    the info can be found here. http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DDoS_attack.html

Quote Originally Posted by Little2Roo View Post
    Stupid, non-computer type question. What does DDOS stand for?
    Distributed denial of service.

Quote Originally Posted by ClandestineWing View Post
    Distributed denial of service.
    As a further explanation, a DoS (denial of service) attack is where a computer bombards a server with so many requests that it can't respond quickly enough and stops responding to genuine connections. However, it's easy to identify the computer performing the attack, so it can be blocked and traced.

A DDoS (distributed denial of service) attack is similar, except the attacker controls a botnet of infected machines to launch the attack. This makes it harder to block the attack (as the server is being attacked by so many different machines), and harder to identify the attacker as his machine isn't directly attacking the server.

Just in case you were wondering...

Quote Originally Posted by babymt View Post
    Why would someone do that to us little innocents?
    Yeah -- I wondered that, too. It seems like a pretty pointless exercise. Maybe the attackers don't have the skills to attack a bigger website, or maybe they lack the intellect or political awareness to attack worthy targets.

Default Neighborhood Watch (● ) / (● )

I wonder, how many (such as myself), noticed a lag or boggyness, in page/site loading times just prior to the shut-out?

At the time, I couldn't determine if the issue was on my end or not; and, I went busy observing my network activity monitor... running scans, comparing to other website loading times, etc...

Would reporting this then, have been any help to a defensive stand... Or, does this level of hits, set off alarms of some sort anyway?

Also, how would we find out if our own computers were enslaved to this or, similar operations?

I'm not sure of it but, I even recall wondering if my cpu fan wasn't running up and more constant than usual, just around that time... I've been at a bit of a disadvantage for clear and concise observation lately...

I'm going to take part to look into it further on my end... if anyone has any short-cuts on how to check and/or protect from having our own machines taken over, I would be very interested to hear it!

My notion of why someone would choose to attack us might be because, we are perhaps less likely to call for or gain assistance due to our unique proclivities... and yet, we are a pretty well maintained website... with not an insignificant member base... someone's using us for target practice? Short of that.... a disgruntled someone or other?

Anyway, my best to all!
    -Marka

Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    I'm not sure of it but, I even recall wondering if my cpu fan wasn't running up and more constant than usual, just around that time...
    Almost certainly unrelated. The bandwidth of even the best internet connection in the world is nothing compared to that between different parts of a CPU, or even between CPU and RAM. Your computer could be executing a DOS all day and night and still not be using more than a minute percentage of its processing capacity. That's what makes malware and botnets so insidious - you can play a part in all sorts of cyber-warfare without it ever impacting on your computer's usability. Processes that use lots of computational power are far easier to detect, and kill, after all.

Moo, thanks for fixing the problem promptly. I, like others was concerned that it was going to be another DPF-type situation. Is there a way we can get in touch with you in the future if this happens again? Or, even better are there warning signs that we can be aware of or actions we can take to prevent something like this from happening?

Yes, Moo, thank you for getting this website back up and running.

Thanks Moo from Virginia. I wondered if the attack was from a disgruntled banned member? We seem to small to be much of a target unless some 4 chan asshole hates adult babies. I wondered if other diaper sites had been hit. I know DD was up and running.

As for one of the questions, I thought we'd be up and running, but I was also worried. Moo does all the work to keep us together as a family, but with little reward. I need to talk to my wife about shuttling some monetary support to adisc.