Everyone should email the ABDL companies to make cool pullups

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinda

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I think lots of us would buy ABDL pullups. So much more convenient, and cuter too. I'd be willing to sacrifice less absorbency in exchange for those. Pullups could be awesome. Don't know how hard it is to make them though. But everyone should let them know they're potentially sitting on a gold mine.

Alot of people, including me, agree with you! I would love to see adult size, cute, ABDL pull-ups and if they looked close to Goodnites or any other kids pull-up that would be a sure winner! Most people say it would be to hard to manufacter them, but I don't see why that is so. We have boring adult sized pull-ups now and Goodnites used to be bigger. Why couldn't the Goodnites machine (or one like it) be tooled for making bigger pull-ups? Or why couldn't a machine making adult pull-ups be fed the ingredients to make awesome pull-ups. I'm sure there are machines in China, let's face it that's where they'd come from (nothing wrong with that!), that could be producing them right now.
I have a feeling it can be done and ABU will probably be the first ones selling it!

You could always conduct a survey. The forum software does give that option.

However, I'm not so sure that there is as much demand as you think. It's not like there's any shortage of pull-ups out there, cute prints aside, and yet most of the discourse here is about nappies. Equally, all of the recent AB nappy releases - Space, Crinklz, Rearz, Waddler Overnight, and before that, Bellissimo and Fabine - have been high-absorption products, because that seems to be in high demand.

A "cute", low-absorption product falls under the same heading as the original SDKs and Cushies, in that it really only appeals to pure ABs, rather than ABDL or DL or IC. Not to mention that the market seems a little saturated ATM, so I doubt that any of them want to diversify their product range any further.

Maybe I'm wrong, but speaking personally, I have no interest whatsoever in pull-ups. I don't think that they look cute, and they don't help me to regress. I'm an adult baby, not an adult toilet-training-toddler.

You also have to remember that as ABs, our paraphilia is at least partially influenced by our dim memories of our infancy. Our oldest members were brought up in cloth with plastic or rubber pants, so that is what helps them regress. People my age, largely in plastic-backed disposables. Only our youngest members are going to have worn pull-up pants, and they (generally speaking) have less disposable income.

Last edited:
This is known. Anyone who is paying attention knows that there is a market for ABDL pull ups. What surprises me is that people who are obsessed with these don't already know that it's not that suppliers are cruelly depriving them, but that they're prohibitively expensive at this time. As most of us suspected, they confirmed that no machines are available that can produce a worthwhile pull up (if such a thing could be said to exist). In the future, a healthy market may change that but for now, all the letters in the world aren't changing it. It's a fundamentally different question than getting good ABDL diapers.

There's a number of factors. First and foremost, there is no machine in China or SK that can produce any adult sized pull-up other than the homogeneous "bloomer" style you see everywhere in the IC market. It would take the initiative of the supplier(s) themselves to invest the hundreds of thousands of dollars (or even millions) it would take to either retrofit a machine, or build a new one if necessary. If you think about it, the method of attaching components from diapers is different from attaching those of a pull-up and the adjustment will be quite expensive whatever the approach. These machines as a whole cost millions each to build, house, and maintain. I'm sure if the supplier were to make that investment, they'd want to be sure not only ABDLs will support that product, but that it will sell well on the overall diaper market. It's certainly not impossible - it will just take their approval to get on board and take action.

What I'd consider another big hurdle is that Kimberly-Clark owns the patent to using the super-soft and dreamy "foam" paneling you see on Pull-Ups and GoodNites training pants. So as I'm sure many of you assume that same foam paneling would end up on ABDL pull-ups, it is almost certainly not going to happen that way. Similarly, each respective company (such as PG with their "Easy-Ups" brand) has their own patents on their own stretch panel technologies, so what you get would likely be different than what you're used to for the side paneling you see on these products.

The last of the 3 big issues is stretch paneling in general. The best ABDL diapers you see use plastic to support their entire frame, and there's a good reason for that. It's durable and can take a beating. The common tendency with cloth or stretchy components is that within just a matter of hours, they lose their elastic pull and permanently stretch, or if they are a bigger size, they just won't have much snugness to begin with and will fall off or slide lower after a time (especially when made 'heavier'). So if there is no customizable fit it will make things difficult, and don't bother suggesting the velcro sides Pull-Ups have upgraded to - you can bet there is an even newer and ain't-gonna-expire-anytime-soon patent on that as well!

I'm sure if pull-up style diapers are made a possibility, you'll see at least several ABDL versions hit the market, and I'm sure that day will come eventually. Just manage your expectation because how we picture things in our head and how they actually turn out are usually quite different! :biggrin:

jeremyi said:
There's a number of factors. First and foremost, there is no machine in China or SK that can produce any adult sized pull-up other than the homogeneous "bloomer" style you see everywhere in the IC market. It would take the initiative of the supplier(s) themselves to invest the hundreds of thousands of dollars (or even millions) it would take to either retrofit a machine, or build a new one if necessary.

i was just going to say that. This whole issue revolves around wanting to see a pullup with some sort of design on the front, be it ab, dl, furry, sissy, whatever. They want a pattern on the front. And if you've ever looked at the adult pullups being offered, well, I'd never considered the term "bloomers" but I suppose maybe it fits.

dignity-comfort-underwear.jpg

You'll notice the entire top 1/2 of the diaper is entirely elastic. (it looks more like a short tube sock to me) You can't put any kind of a print on that. It'd have to go down below on what little there is of the padding. I think that's another of the issues there - MOST of the pullups like this are "one drop". In other words, very low capacity. Intended for minor leaks and dribbles only. And that's not our typical market - DL's usually want functional diapers with significantly better performance than that.

Here's Northshore's new one:

http://www.northshorecare.com/media/catalog/product/f/l/flexsupreme.png

It actually is rated a lot higher for capacity, much more than any other adult pull-up, but again look at all that elastic at the top. It's probably necessary to make a product that can both hold the weight of a lot of urine and not slide down your pants or skirt, while at the same time be able to be pulled down to change.

I dunno. If people wouldn't mind the print just down there on the bottom, that'd be easier. But as Jeremy pointed out, there's no machine out there right now with that feature. There are children's size that have printing built into the machine, but that would have to be entirely retooled for the adult machines. And those are $300,000 to $1,000,000 machines. (why? because they basically mint money - they take very raw materials and turn them directly into a sellable disposable product) There's a reason each time we see new diapers we can identify the old machine used to make them - it's just not practical for any niche market to design let alone make their own.

bambinod said:
MOST of the pullups like this are "one drop". In other words, very low capacity. Intended for minor leaks and dribbles only. And that's not our typical market - DL's usually want functional diapers with significantly better performance than that.

This does need to be emphasised. If your product is so low capacity that it doesn't appeal to DLs (or ICs), then you've got a real problem, because I rather suspect that those for whom nappies are an end in itself, rather than just a means to regression, go through a hell of a lot more of them. DLs seem to wear as much as possible. I don't think that the same is true for "pure" ABs, as they to have to be in the right mindset for regressing.

Exactly right, bambinod. The ABDL market may be growing, but in the scope of the overall diaper market we are a minority. We can make the best out of the options we have, but we don't have the volume to steer the market on our own -- just look at how swiftly the market switched to all cloth-back on so many disposable brands despite the overwhelming majority of ABDLs and even standalone ICs clamoring for the opposite. As people have pointed out many times in other threads, most ABDL diapers come from the same machine, or at least the same model of machine, with a strikingly similar cut and dimensions. There's a reason for that and it's low volume, low demand, and few options. I'm sure all merchants are at least passing these suggestions to their suppliers and making the desire known (I know I have been), and although one may commit to it one day, it all hinges on their decisions.

- - - Updated - - -

Akastus said:
This does need to be emphasised. If your product is so low capacity that it doesn't appeal to DLs (or ICs), then you've got a real problem, because I rather suspect that those for whom nappies are an end in itself, rather than just a means to regression, go through a hell of a lot more of them. DLs seem to wear as much as possible. I don't think that the same is true for "pure" ABs, as they to have to be in the right mindset for regressing.

That's true. Why wear a discreet pull-up that holds 1000mL and can wear down when you can have a 4000mL ocean-stopping juggernaut that stays the exact same dimension 8 hours down the road as when you first put it on? Even if you wanted a slimmer or more discreet diaper, you could get a thinner plastic one with the same unbreakable frame that still holds more. Looks and novelty are nice, but even in the ABDL community functionality seems to come first!

Note said:
Citation, please.

I know I should have provided one but it was late last night, which might also account for my sort of frustrated reply. I couldn't find one here, and Twitter is hard for such things, but we have jeremyi's comments and then this: https://www.reddit.com/r/ABDL/comments/3d57j1/why_are_there_no_authentic_childlike_abdl/

I have no interest in pull ups for myself but I'd love for some good ones to be on the market just so I wouldn't have to see the threads requesting them anymore.

A pullup like goodnights or Huggies pullups, just made to adult size, would be amazing.

Cream said:
A pullup like goodnights or Huggies pullups, just made to adult size, would be amazing.

bear in mind, a baby or even a child's pelvis shape is different than an adult's. It's a bit different than man's, and VERY different from a woman's. (wider hips, more junk in the trunk)

So they can't just scale everything up 40% or something like that. Other changes will need to be made. Single-tape adult diapers are rare for a reason, and double tapes are unheard of in a baby/child diaper.

Alot of opinions are good. And yes, it would be very difficult to get an only an ABDL pull-up going.
However lets not forget the entire rest of the market.
IC etc. There are lots of adult pull-up's on the market. But they all suck. Lets make a superior one with technology from non adult products like the pull-ups/goodnites/easy-ups etc.. (technology can be licensed for use as well)
This can be done well, and marketed as a superior adult IC product.
An easy print change to the machine will make these ABDL. That's it.
Get the product made for the IC market, run separate batches for ABDL. Is this not what bambino does for their diapers or some one else I forget who.

Pull-ups are popular with younger Abdl's, they were after my time. I dont care for them, they are a pain to change (taking pants off), feel clammy, and are way too much like normal undies. They need to just improve the adult versions and then you can decorate them as you like. But, as others have mentioned the adult versions offer little diaper experience and make me feel like i got granny panties on.

@ the OP - only an ABDL company would ever take this to heart, since they cater to the crowd that's paying the bills. That being said....

I'm always a bit shocked at the nearsightedness many ABDL's exhibit, when it comes to pullups, some even claiming they don't count as "diapers". Really??? We piss 'em, don't we? They absorb, don't they? Colors, designs??? Get creative people! Only hold a drop??? Come on folks! Wear two. Wear three. Just rip an inner, saturated one off, and keep going. What's the big problem with that? If a person wants to wear at work, and can't figure out a way, then there a lack of imagination, as far as I'm concerned. You want designs, draw them, or use some stickers. Not a big deal. Expecting diaper companies to cater to the ABDL crowd?? A little myopic. Believing that EVERY diapering product has to take a full-bore pissing, and keep on giving??? That's really just a bit to childish, as far as I'm concerned. The universal diaper might have to look like the astronaut's M.A.G.; that is, not very bAByish, but full featured, except no designs/tapes/easy removal..

You want BIG THIRSTY diapers, spend your hard earned cash, and buy the best. You want BIG THIRSTY pullups, spend your hard earned cash, and buy them. They already exist, for all, EXCEPT those that aren't a wee bit imaginative, or creative. Otherwise, good luck banging your head on the wall, trying to make VANILLA diaper companies cater to diaper fetishists. Stranger things have happened, but I'll stick with stuff that's WAY more important in life.

Sorry to those that get bruised by my opinions, but really, this just gets a little ridiculous, when you look at the great choices that already exist, and you hear from people that never seem to be satisfied.

- - - Updated - - -

MattyMax said:
Pull-ups are popular with younger Abdl's, they were after my time. I dont care for them, they are a pain to change (taking pants off), feel clammy, and are way too much like normal undies. They need to just improve the adult versions and then you can decorate them as you like. But, as others have mentioned the adult versions offer little diaper experience and make me feel like i got granny panties on.

Sorry, man, but you're wrong on most counts.

Popular with the younger crowd? Been wearing them, and regular diapers, for decades!

Clammy??? ZERO difference in the material used in diapers/pullups. Wicking is the exact same in all disposables, for the MOST part...

Hard time changing??? Wear doubles, rip the inner pant, pullup the fresh one. Problem solved. Imagination!

Too much like normal undies? Yes, except they absorb piss...

Granny panties??? Find a decent brand. I'm guessing you haven't really tried that many. Abena & Moli make nice ones. Don't like the top panel? Just fold it over. Problem solved.

Offer very little diaper experience??? Put three on, put your plastic pants on, then your jeans, and THEN TELL ME it doesn't give you the feel of a diaper experience. Really, this is why I posted my other response.

Imagination & creativity! It's all you need!

Nothing personal here, yours is just a classic example of the negative stereotype being put onto pullups. It just takes a little effort to turn pullups into a great experience, leaving full blown diapers for home time, or nighty-night.

Last edited:
K, nvm.

I wear pullups for functionality only, I can't get away with wearing full sized briefs at work, plus, pullups are cheaper.

I do recall Todaler (who owns Tykables, formerly Snuggies Diapers) saying why trying to make them just wouldn't be feasible.

He says on another forum,

There are a few reasons no one has made one really and none of them are because no one sees an interest or thinks the market isn't there. The problem is that most adult pull on style diapers "training pants" are made the same and thus the machines are made the same. The blunt truth is there really are no machines out there that can physically make an adult size training pants that looks like a babys training pant. That in itself is one of the the biggest reasons no one makes them. No ABDL company has the expendable funds to build or modify a machine to make it, that is why there is not one. If someone else, a larger company with more resources, makes or adjust a machine to produce something like that and upfronts the funds to do it one or all of our companies probably would make a training pant like that; if they worked... That leads us to the second part.

The flip side is physics particularly with the ABDL groups. A traditional diaper style in itself can hold as much liquid as you allow it by adding SAP and other fills to the point that the plastic will split or tear or that the liquid in the diaper would cause it to sag due to gravity. On a traditional diaper that is not as big of an issue because the plastic diaper has the same strength all the way around from front to back allowing a tighter fit to the body. Elastic in a training pants by nature stretches one way and with a training pants it stretches a lot to fit even a small waist size variance. Think about the fact that most regular underwear only has a 2-4 inch range while many diapers are almost 3-4 times that. The weight of almost any amount of liquid would cause the training pants to sag and droop immediately once it was wet by stretching the elastic. This brings us to a third part which does actually bring into the size of the market.

We know for a fact that many ABDL people want a diaper than can hold back an ocean, so forget the "I am a little wet idea." The diapers would fall off if they were intended for 'moderate usage' which is why most pull on style products are rated at light incontinence and do not even come close to approaching the same level of absorbance as a traditional diaper. Even if we can get past the custom machines any and all elastic will give far quicker than taps and plastic ever would. So if we overcome the first hurdle of making the training pants we would have to continue now with how much should and could the training pants hold. Once the training pant is wet the elastic no matter how good would begin to stretch and give more so than if it was just being worn. The more wet the training pant the worse the fit will be. You need more sizes with smaller size ranges to keep the sagging issue down. Gravity is a bitch and that is a real biggest answer for now.

My main thing about training pants in the ABDL community is that they should feel wet and make you " realize you made an uh-oh," you know? I have cloth adult training pants made by baby-pants.com and another company. That is my main thing about pull-ups in the ABDL community: that they should hold just enough to make you "realize you are not making it to the potty." Can that factor in a design of current adult pull-ups? Opinions?

I would buy and wear adult pullups, with prints, religiously if there was a supply. I don't care if they are not practical or useful. I mostly wear for comfort anyway. I just want something bigger and as cute as a girls Goodnites or Pull-up. There is just something about them...

Instead of batching and moaning about cute prints why not get some cute underwear or fabric and make a cover for "vanilla" medical products. As stated training pants are made do people realize use the bathroom! Also adult pull ups have a waterproof liner of some forms to protect the clothes it sounds like you are asking for a product that a companies would lose there there shirt on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back