Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diapers disappeared!

Default Diapers disappeared!

I had my diapers in my room, but last week i noticed that a bag i had some in just disappeared, looked all over the house for them but i couldnt find them.
    idk who found them and took them, but i been nervous this past week.

there was about 10 of them left in that bag so idk where they are. what should i do?

Who could have taken them? Do you have a brother or sister? Did a friend come over? Do your parents visit your room often? I find it odd that if it was your parents they didn't mention them. So I believe it was a sibling or perhaps you used them and didn't remember using them? Did you find a new place for them? Do you have a dog? Whatever, don't panic. Someone will eventually confess or they will turn up.

Ok, i have 2 brothers, one doesnt live with us but visits often, and my brothers friend also comes over all the time, so it could have been one of my brothers, but its weird that nobody said anything to me yet. also i know i didnt use them because i remember always keeping them there, and i know there was 10 of them left so this is whats having me worried. i'm just nervous that they are gone because idk whats going to happen. and if they just randomly show up ill be really nervous.

it may be your brother friend, if that the case you may not hear anything more of were thy went.

Moms are well-known to do this. I would be shocked if it wasn't your mom.

At the same time, they are, more often than not, not wanting to discuss it any more than you are. So she may never say anything.

BUT... if that's the case, nothing is safe in your room anymore. She's set her own precident, and will feel much more at ease now looking throgh your room while you're not there for things to remove. Unfortunately, confronting her is the only way to put a stop to it.

You could take the passive-aggressive approach to it, and "plant' several stashes around your room, that end only in a note from you very briefly stating you don't appreciate your privacy being violated. (and some mechanism by way you can tell she's been in there, something like the had-written note getting the taped down corner on it torn as the box lid is lifted) That may avoid your having to confront her directly.

Come to think of it there is another option that may be available to you. Get a locked box. An obvious locked box. (keep it empty or with something minorly valuable in it, or with a note in it) You can expet to immediately be confronted about it, maybe even demanded to open it. "Someone's been taking my stuff from my room, I don't know who. (so not pointing the finger at mom) Since I don't want personal or valuable possessions to continue to disappear from my room, I got a locked box. Maybe it's my imagination and I'm just losing things - but this way if I can't find something at least I'll know I lost it and it wasn't taken." You're going to get asked what was taken. You'll have to decide how you want to answer that, maybe somthing as short as "personal things." Most parents won't press on that if they didn't confront you already.

I had several friends while growing up that had to resort to that. Around half of them had parents that had the mentality that their kids had NO right to privacy from them, for ANY reason. One guy I know had his parents in a battle of who could find the biggest bolt cutters / padlock. My mother told me the story of her changing the door knob on her room to one only she had the key to.... heh...

If they try to play the "we need to know you're not keeping cigarettes/drugs/whatever in there" card, respond with "Things are DISAPPEARING from my room - who's the one that really has the right to claim "trust problems"? Like it or not, they have given you the justifications for your action. THEY haven't found drugs in your room, YOU have had stuff go missing, YOU have the initiative here.
    Last edited by bambinod; 27-Oct-2015 at 13:06.

Quote Originally Posted by bambinod View Post
    I had several friends while growing up that had to resort to that. Around half of them had parents that had the mentality that their kids had NO right to privacy from them, for ANY reason. One guy I know had his parents in a battle of who could find the biggest bolt cutters / padlock. My mother told me the story of her changing the door knob on her room to one only she had the key to.... heh...

If they try to play the "we need to know you're not keeping cigarettes/drugs/whatever in there" card, respond with "Things are DISAPPEARING from my room - who's the one that really has the right to claim "trust problems"? Like it or not, they have given you the justifications for your action. THEY haven't found drugs in your room, YOU have had stuff go missing, YOU have the initiative here.
    If you're underage, you DON't have any RIGHt to privacy as such. Even if you're of legal age, your right to privacy is at least questionable unless you're paying rent.

That said, most normal parents are reasonable about it, and respect a certain amount of privacy just as part of the growing up process, unless you've given them reason to be suspicious.

Moms are exempt from all rules and concepts of privacy by their very nature. It doesn't matter if you're all grown up, moved out, with kids of your own. Its just how they are. Junior and Mrs. Junior are all too aware that they are subject to random cleaning and neatness frenzies any time they ask Mrs. Maxx over to baby or dogsit while they're out.

Edit: There's a well known rule in the Parent's Handbook relating to adult children still living at home. "If you make them TOO comfortable, they'll never leave." Adult children with disabilities can be something of an exception, but even there parents have to be careful not to enable dependent behavior.
    Last edited by Maxx; 27-Oct-2015 at 17:17.

Your original post was not clear as to whether you had more than one bag. If so, it probably was not your mother, but quite possibly your brother who might share a similar interest. Even if not, that still may be the case. I would not jump to conclusions and accuse your mother or anyone else for that matter. Since nobody has said anything yet, I suspect that no one ever will. Just find a better hiding place.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    If you're underage, you DON't have any RIGHt to privacy as such. Even if you're of legal age, your right to privacy is at least questionable unless you're paying rent.
    I'll hit the seond one first and call it "extortion". That's where you consent to someone violating your rights to avoid their retaliation. Socially unacceptable, frequently illegal.

As for the first, technically I will give you that. But with one major caveat: I'd call "bad parenting" on anyone that just dumps their kids off the deep end with no preparation or training at all when they hit legal age. Privacy, like all other aspects of growing and maturing, should be done in stages, gradually. By the time your kid is 17, they should have nearly full privacy. If you still think you've got the right to dig through their belongings for no good reason anytime the mood hits you, legally you're right but socially you're very wrong. Privacy isn't all about your own rights, it's also teaching respect for the other person's privacy. A parent that has little to no respect for their kid's privacy until they hit 18 is failing as a parent. They're teaching their kid that they don't need to respect anyone else's privacy, because they've never been taught what it means to get it or have it.

Mine has little respect, I'm 30 and I still get searched. I've never had any thing bad or done any thing bad =S exception being diapers/plastic pants lol