Thread: UK members don't forget to put clock back tonight

Default UK members don't forget to put clock back tonight

For us UK members BST ends at 2am Sunday (tomorrow morning)
    So put your clocks back

Fall forward Springbok.

There used to be a talk radio host here in Chicago who reminded everyone to change their clocks in the wrong direction, followed by some very funny interaction with listerners calling in who didn't get the joke.

I don't get it why there are different DST dates for the US vs UK+Europe. So impractical when you deal with people (or data) from the other side and a few weeks every year the time difference is different than usual.

It was a lovely day today, warm (kind of), sunny. 5pm and it's getting dark. Hello winter.

Thank goodness for the computers! I would've had no idea it was this weekend if I hadn't noticed that my PC was an hour slow... :-/

I hate GMT. We should be on BST all year! Or BST+1 -- that would be great! Oh well, batten down the hatches and brace yourself for interminable darkness and dullery. Time to hibernate.

I actually forgot and turned up at my training session at the wrong time. Sometimes I forget to be good at being an adult. It's so cold and dark now and it's only just winter

We postponed the fall date to make it after Halloween. The argument was that it improved safety for the kids going trick or treat. I don't remember why we pulled the date in the spring forward. Of course, even the name (Daylight Savings Time) is a misnomer, the number of hours of daylight is a function of the month and date, not some arbitrary futsing with the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Thank goodness for the computers! I would've had no idea it was this weekend if I hadn't noticed that my PC was an hour slow... :-/
    Computers stink! My computer's clock was off an hour today and resisted attempts to fix it until I disabled automatic daylight savings. Here in the good ole USA of Obummer we now change in November but the gov'ment forgot to tell my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by howiebabe View Post
    We postponed the fall date to make it after Halloween. The argument was that it improved safety for the kids going trick or treat.
    I didn't know that. If it's for the safety of kids, I'm all for it. Although I've done some quick googling and it seems that candy lobby was heavily involved in this decision, talking children's safety but thinking $$$.

I agree it's kind of misnomer. Perhaps Electricity Saving Time? But I suspect we would save much more energy if all the unnecessary lights (offices, various public buildings etc.) were off at night. And we could see more stars.