Thread: Ignoramuses on YouTube (Warning, Rant ahead)

Default Ignoramuses on YouTube (Warning, Rant ahead)

I never allow YouTube comments to get to me, I usually just watch the video in question and go on about my day, but today something just set me off, and I HAD to reply to it.

I'm currently watching a documentary with Louis Theroux on American children being increasingly medicated.

Well, I decided to scroll down into the comments section and gauge viewer response to the documentary (first mistake).

I am greeted with this gem:

---

"All these kids would be fine if they had good parents"

---

I couldn't let this ignoramus get away with such an asinine remark, so I replied, spending 10 minutes formulating a coherent argument to his (admittedly BRILLIANT insight):

---

I'm sorry, but I had to say something, I usually don't comment on YouTube, particularly because of comments like this, but come on...

To say that this stems solely from "inadequate parenting" is ignorant at best.

These kids have documented chemical and sometimes physical abnormalities in the brain, it is NOT a matter of parenting, but of proper mental health treatment and management.

Although, that is NOT to say that mental illness is NOT over diagnosed, I will be the first to admit that the Western World in particular can at times be overly enthusiastic about medicating away their problems, and I would personally advocate behavioral interventions in lieu of medication, at least at the beginning.

However, I realize the futility in trying to make a reasoned argument on the internet, particularly on the comment section of YouTube."

---

I personally think I handled it rather well, I could have just been a complete jerk and stooped to his level, but I instead chose to formulate a reasoned reply to his single statement.

Ugh, THIS is why I hate YouTube... >.>

I use Firefox with the CommentBlocker addon (I'm sure other browsers have their equivalent), it removes the commenting section from all websites. The comments are always a cesspit of stupidity anyway. Along with Adblock and Noscript, my internet experience has been much more enjoyable.

You did well and I think more people should always keep a cool head when reply to youtube comments or don't reply at all.

It may seem futile because almost always you won't change the other person's opinion, in fact most of the time people get very defensive, which I can't comprehend because I like discussing topics and so when I go into an argument I go fully prepared to change my opinion and I expect the other person to be open to that as well, but anyway even if you can't convince them at least you might change other viewers opinions and that's the positive.

Also as a sidenote, I don't understand why people flip out and start calling names and stuff and completely loose their cool, maybe it's because I'm not that way, but I don't get it really. Maybe it goes back to my childhood/teenage years, I remember one time when I played football (soccer) the coach telling us that if another player teased us or would call us names on the field, to not get affected by it and just smirk or laugh, you know, just show that you're not affected by it and that the other person is making a fool of himself, and that made so much sense to me that I never forgot about it.

It's most certainly insulting to suggest that any situation happening to a child is something that could be solved with simple parenting changes. My brother was born with some medical concerns, and to me the comment basically would be the same as implying that was somehow the fault of my parents and their parenting style in particular.

Sometimes we all need a little help to keep us regular, sometimes something just.. is. People are certainly strange sometimes. I empathize with the desire to speak out against something that feels so wrong.

I've often wondered how drunk or stoned some of the people are when the write very stupid comments. Maybe they're just stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by Fraldinhas View Post
    You did well and I think more people should always keep a cool head when reply to youtube comments or don't reply at all.

It may seem futile because almost always you won't change the other person's opinion, in fact most of the time people get very defensive, which I can't comprehend because I like discussing topics and so when I go into an argument I go fully prepared to change my opinion and I expect the other person to be open to that as well, but anyway even if you can't convince them at least you might change other viewers opinions and that's the positive.

Also as a sidenote, I don't understand why people flip out and start calling names and stuff and completely loose their cool, maybe it's because I'm not that way, but I don't get it really. Maybe it goes back to my childhood/teenage years, I remember one time when I played football (soccer) the coach telling us that if another player teased us or would call us names on the field, to not get affected by it and just smirk or laugh, you know, just show that you're not affected by it and that the other person is making a fool of himself, and that made so much sense to me that I never forgot about it.
    I ruthlessly delete hate-filled comments directed at my videos on my living with Autism and Cerebral Palsy.
    I do not take any crap from anyone.