I got a pair of LeakMaster PUL plastic pants and a LeakMaster cloth diaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crinklesaur

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
I just purchased my first pair of cloth diapers and plastic pants, both from LeakMaster on Amazon.

It was between LeakMaster and BabyPants as far as the diapers and pants were concerned.

Overall I spent about 57 dollars and some change, here's hoping that I actually made a smart purchase, especially given that it was a bit more of a premium purchase over the BabyPants vinyl pants.

Users of LeakMaster diapers and pants, what can I expect from them? How do they compare to BabyPants, and how do they compare to disposables?

Wish I could help you. It took me many many years to find a product that suited my particular picture perfect idea of what constituted the PERFECT plastic panty for my tastes.... after that I needed them to be a great value, meaning longevity of the product, quality of the product, durability, availability of the various sizes and colours I like depending on this or that kind / size / thickness of diaper I like.... Their Service ... Including returns... ( although I rarely if ever will return ANY product) turn around time between orders and receiving....although as I live VERY close to BABYKINS in Richmond BC ( about 25 min away) I usually just stop in and pick up. And over all customer service... How I'm treated ... All the years trying ... ( Even though I was very happy with BABYKINS it's still so much fun to buy and then wait for the arrival of new play things.....). I am a huge fan and extremely extremely happy purchaser from BABYKINS. They have everything I need when it comes to my cloth diapers ( which last me at least three and four years although I will still use them long after that... And then I still donate them to friends) for my sleepers though I get the footed ones from JumpinJameriz

I bought a PUL pant, and I ended throwing it away after about 8 months. =( expensive purchase. It failed to live up to my expectations, and got dirty really quick. Also the interior was starting to get worn appearance. It also "sweat" any liquids that got inside of it, so it didn't really protect. This was for wearing over a disposable. I wound not recommend using a PUL pant for cloth diapers. I use vinyl ones from baby-pants, really happy with those, they last about 6 months for me, and are a bit cheaper cost.

I've had reasonably good experiences with mine. Fit has been a problem in that with cloth pre-fold diapers, they don't go quite high enough in the waist. I initially bought the small size as I have a 32" waist, and they're a bit small on me. So then I bought medium and they cover better, but if I max my diaper out, it will leak around the legs. Still I like them, and I've had them for over a year. You can wash them in the washer on the permanent press setting. Like all plastic pants, you'll want to hang dry them. I put mine on a plastic hanger and let them air dry. Never put plastic pants in the dryer as that will ruin them.

Heheh... Kinda funny asking for favorites when you've already ordered, no? Anyway... I have some of the LeakMaster prefolds. As well as BabyPants, Changing Times, Angel Fluff, BabyKins, and innumerable baby/toddler prefolds. I have a weakness. ;)

Of the two you mention, Baby Pants would be my favorite, but my reasons are my own, and may not translate. For one, I'm kind of a texture freak, and the quilty texture of "diaper twill" fabric comes as close as anything available to the texture of the old Curity prefolds I wore as a baby--and teen. :) (And still have.) Of course, Baby Pants also sells Birdseye and gauze-weave diapers. I can't recommend the Birdseye; it's got a rather heavy, tough feel to it that just doesn't feel babyish to me--according to my own inscrutable definition of "babyish", just to be clear. The twill is great, though, and the colored stitching is a nice touch, even if the rounded corners and side-stitching aren't particularly authentic.

Secondly, the Baby Pants prefolds are cut/sized in a way that's much more compatible with my body shape and folding preferences. I'm stocky, and the nearly-square shape of the Baby Pants diapers works well for that. In contrast, to get the necessary width in a LeakMaster, I ended up with a lot of excess in the length, which I have to fold in. Which creates an unwanted bulge in back or front. (BUT! LeakMaster, as well as Angel Fluff diapers, can be custom-sized if you like. Perhaps some day I'll try this and see if my opinion of those two diapers is improved.)

My favorite prefolds are those from Changing Times and Rearz, as they are made precisely like baby diapers, and by a baby diaper factory. (Twill fabric, no stitching on the long edges, etc.)

Last edited:
GentlenessKindness said:
Wish I could help you. It took me many many years to find a product that suited my particular picture perfect idea of what constituted the PERFECT plastic panty for my tastes.... after that I needed them to be a great value, meaning longevity of the product, quality of the product, durability, availability of the various sizes and colours I like depending on this or that kind / size / thickness of diaper I like.... Their Service ... Including returns... ( although I rarely if ever will return ANY product) turn around time between orders and receiving....although as I live VERY close to BABYKINS in Richmond BC ( about 25 min away) I usually just stop in and pick up. And over all customer service... How I'm treated ... All the years trying ... ( Even though I was very happy with BABYKINS it's still so much fun to buy and then wait for the arrival of new play things.....). I am a huge fan and extremely extremely happy purchaser from BABYKINS. They have everything I need when it comes to my cloth diapers ( which last me at least three and four years although I will still use them long after that... And then I still donate them to friends) for my sleepers though I get the footed ones from JumpinJameriz
As with you I'm very happy with babykins they stand by there stuff too.
They are AB aware and have alway been nice on phone for me when buying

Cottontail said:
Heheh... Kinda funny asking for favorites when you've already ordered, no? Anyway... I have some of the LeakMaster prefolds. As well as BabyPants, Changing Times, Angel Fluff, BabyKins, and innumerable baby/toddler prefolds. I have a weakness. ;)

Of the two you mention, Baby Pants would be my favorite, but my reasons are my own, and may not translate. For one, I'm kind of a texture freak, and the quilty texture of "diaper twill" fabric comes as close as anything available to the texture of the old Curity prefolds I wore as a baby--and teen. :) (And still have.) Of course, Baby Pants also sells Birdseye and gauze-weave diapers. I can't recommend the Birdseye; it's got a rather heavy, tough feel to it that just doesn't feel babyish to me--according to my own inscrutable definition of "babyish", just to be clear. The twill is great, though, and the colored stitching is a nice touch, even if the rounded corners and side-stitching aren't particularly authentic.

Secondly, the Baby Pants prefolds are cut/sized in a way that's much more compatible with my body shape and folding preferences. I'm stocky, and the nearly-square shape of the Baby Pants diapers works well for that. In contrast, to get the necessary width in a LeakMaster, I ended up with a lot of excess in the length, which I have to fold in. Which creates an unwanted bulge in back or front. (BUT! LeakMaster, as well as Angel Fluff diapers, can be custom-sized if you like. Perhaps some day I'll try this and see if my opinion of those two diapers is improved.)

My favorite prefolds are those from Changing Times and Rearz, as they are made precisely like baby diapers, and by a baby diaper factory. (Twill fabric, no stitching on the long edges, etc.)

Send me a link 2 changing times

I have a "fleet" of Angelflull custom made diapers and pants ( even spent the $500.00 bucks to make my own permanent custom patterns so that everything I order will be the same as anything I am wearing Jeanie and Howard have been awesome to me) although I did not like their onesie I prefer the Babykins with the boat neck ( makes the fit better and makes them more accesible as I have a muscle disease) THE BEST PANTS IMHO and experience are the Angelflull "blue ice" I have 60 pairs in pull on and 40 pair of snap on that are 9 years old currently and none are near the retirement stage, in their pants configuration you can choose almost anything up to and including rhumba if you like that style. I wear and use 24/7 due to IC and they were definitely a great investment, although I do have 20 pair of kins rubber pants also that I wear over disposables for traveling.

Took some guts to name a diaper "LeakMaster" huh? Back on subject I hope the op posts their thoughts on the diapers/pants after testing them as I have always been curious about cloth diapers for myself but have always been too cheap to try them.

Have not purchased from Adult cloth diaper, but have used Gary PUL pants, which is probably what A.C.D. sells. The PUL pant was O.K. but I'm a plastic guy. I've owed plastic pants from Gary, Babykins, and Baby Pants and loved them all. I've had cloth diapers from Babykins and Changing Times Diaper Company. Absolutly love Changing Times Diaper Company cotton twill prefolds and contour diapers. In fact right now I'm wearing a cotton twill contour diaper with soaker pad and Gary plastic pants both from Changing Times. It is a bit damp!

RainbowDash728 said:
Send me a link 2 changing times
Here you go: http://changingtimesdiaperco.com. The Rearz prefolds are virtually identical, since Rearz and Changing Times use the same manufacturer (Ashar) and nearly identical specs. In fact, the between the two is that Changing Times get light blue thread put on the ends, whereas the Rearz prefolds are all white.

KenworthW900b said:
Took some guts to name a diaper "LeakMaster" huh?
Yeah, I thought that was pretty funny when I first encountered it. Although I'm sure the intended meaning of "master" is favorable to the product, I usually think "best at" when I hear the word "master", which would be rather unflattering in this case.

KenworthW900b said:
Took some guts to name a diaper "LeakMaster" huh?

Especially since they're a serious product for people who are genuinely incontinent, as far as I know.

I can't stand cloth diapers or under ware I have to have disposable diapers or nothing at all. I just love the fit and comfort of disposable diapers,
And the style is awesome, But of course it depends witch brand you get that fits your body the best,
So far out of all the brands I've tried DC Amor is still the best even if there pink and that's fine with me.

dogboy said:
Especially since they're a serious product for people who are genuinely incontinent, as far as I know.

LeakMaster got its start with Baby diapers, their adult diapers are supposedly a larger version of their baby diapers.

Achieldan said:
LeakMaster got its start with Baby diapers, their adult diapers are supposedly a larger version of their baby diapers.

Well, but they're not. LeakMaster is All Together Diaper Co.'s youth/adult line, and the prefolds are made in the US. The baby line is called OsoCozy, and the prefolds are made by a baby diaper company in Pakistan--possibly Ashar International--using completely different material and construction methods. The two product lines are quite dissimilar, and not just by size. The advantage to this arrangement is that All Together can sell baby prefolds for a competitive price, while offering custom-sized adult diapers for those who need them custom-sized. (It would take far too long and too much money to do that overseas.) The disadvantage, for those of us who care, is that the adult prefolds aren't constructed at all like the baby kind. They're fine diapers otherwise, though.

Angel Fluff also manufactures in the US and offers custom sizing. Their "night weight" gauze prefolds are the thinnest prefolds I've ever used, though--like pin-on underwear. Interesting stretchy material, but otherwise not recommended. Very expensive, too; I think their prices are aimed at insurance companies. $37 for a single medium prefold is ridiculous.

Rearz and Changing Times are, in my experience, the only adult prefold makers whose products truly are just upscaled baby diapers. BabyKins adult prefolds and baby prefolds are similar, but are only offered in flannel, which is just not a great diaper fabric--hence why none of the arguably more "serious" diaper companies use it for prefolds. It's cheap, and comes in cute prints, but is less absorbent, doesn't work well with Boingos or Snappis (if you care about those), and my BabyKins prefolds pulled quite a bit, which gives them an unpleasant texture. Oversized burp cloths now, I guess. :)

The Leakmasters from Adultcloth diaper are my favorite. They are definitely more institutional than baby-ish, built to handle heavy use and last a long time. Thier website has great info about caring for cloth diaper and plastic pants (for example: http://www.adultclothdiaper.com/Diaper-Care.html). Look for the other links on the bottom right of the page. Following these instructions will maximize the life of your investment, but can be impractical for people who need to keep thier diapers hidden from sight &
and smell.

If you can't do it perfectly, you can still do 90% as good by doing a few things:

Just rinse and hang-dry your plastic pants. For stealth, hang them from a clothes hanger and drape a large shirt on top. No matter what you do,they will eventually start to smell of stale pee. Bleaching and machine washing help a tiny bit, but are really rough on the pants, will make them harden and tear or crack. Machine drying is the worst of all. If rinsing alone isn't enough, try some gentle soap and a rinse (I just do it in the shower). If you have to machine wash, try the gentle cycle and cool water. And if you are forced to machine-dry them, turn them inside-out after a few minutes, then take them out as soon as they are mostly dry- don't let them get too hot.

As for cloth, chlorine bleach and borax powder are great. Bleach will eventually eat away at the cloth, so don't use to much. Still, if you are faced with a pail of extra-ripe diapers, don't fear using 2 or 3 times as much as the instructions say. Dry at as low temp as possible, and if possible, only machine-dry them part way to fluff them, the hang dry them to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back