Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Gluten

  1. #1
    MichaelWeston

    Default Gluten

    So many people think that gluten is this fake thing that doesn't hurt anyone. That is not true, I have a autoimmune disorder called Celiac. I cannot eat gluten because it will genuinely cause harmful effects including, bloody noses, stomach problems, mental illness, cancer or long-term early death.

    It really frustrates me that people think it is a fad. I don't want to not be able to eat gluten. I don't want to be really sick.

    What do you think?

  2. #2

    Default

    I know a couple of people that have to stay clear of Gluten, but a most people don't have any problem with eating wheat and gran products'. as a fad it maybe but I don't see it fading away any time soon. there will be a lot of people looking for Gluten free food for a long time to come I think.

  3. #3

    Default

    Celiac is a real thing but gluten intolerance probably isn't. There are probably ten people who give up gluten as a food fad for every person with celiac.

  4. #4
    MichaelWeston

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by WildRoseBaby View Post
    Celiac is a real thing but gluten intolerance probably isn't. There are probably ten people who give up gluten as a food fad for every person with celiac.
    People deny Celiac. Pisses me off. I don't want this. I've had both the blood test and the not so fun test (similar to a colonoscopy) to confirm. I have it.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Quote Originally Posted by DannyBBaby View Post
    I know a couple of people that have to stay clear of Gluten, but a most people don't have any problem with eating wheat and gran products'. as a fad it maybe but I don't see it fading away any time soon. there will be a lot of people looking for Gluten free food for a long time to come I think.
    People who do it for no reason, really hinder my case.

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by WildRoseBaby View Post
    Celiac is a real thing but gluten intolerance probably isn't. There are probably ten people who give up gluten as a food fad for every person with celiac.
    Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder that can occur in genetically predisposed people where the ingestion of gluten leads to damage in the small intestine. It is estimated to affect 1 in 100 people worldwide. Two and one-half million Americans are undiagnosed and are at risk for long-term health complications.
    https://celiac.org/celiac-disease/wh...eliac-disease/

    Doesn't that kinda imply the same thing? Or are you being specific about the word intolerance? I imagine that damaging the small intestine could be considered intolerance, but maybe you mean it a different way?

  6. #6
    MichaelWeston

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder that can occur in genetically predisposed people where the ingestion of gluten leads to damage in the small intestine. It is estimated to affect 1 in 100 people worldwide. Two and one-half million Americans are undiagnosed and are at risk for long-term health complications.
    https://celiac.org/celiac-disease/wh...eliac-disease/

    Doesn't that kinda imply the same thing? Or are you being specific about the word intolerance? I imagine that damaging the small intestine could be considered intolerance, but maybe you mean it a different way?
    Intolerance is used in the celiac community has someone who is "sensitive" but without the autoimmune disorder.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelWeston View Post
    Intolerance is used in the celiac community has someone who is "sensitive" but without the autoimmune disorder.
    Interesting, was not aware of that. So technically intolerance would be like a lesser version of celiac, or an allergy or something?

  8. #8
    MichaelWeston

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    Interesting, was not aware of that. So technically intolerance would be like a lesser version of celiac, or an allergy or something?
    intolerance would be like gluten makes you uncomfortable but without a diagnoseable medical reason.

  9. #9

    Default

    I have a number of food intolerance (wheat, yeast, soy, milk, eggs, etc) which required a major overhaul in my diet. Before I was treated for it, I was constantly exhausted, suffering from headaches, difficulty concentrating, and often feeling nauseous. My diet consisted mostly of pizza, junk food, and a LOT of chocolate. I'm a long distance runner and it really affected my performance, almost reaching the point of packing it in.

    Food intolerances are nowhere near as serious as Celiac, but if they are left untreated for a long period of time, they could compromise the immune system. I had to give up all the foods I loved for a nearly a year before I even attempted to try them again. Food intolerances can be treated through an 'elimination diet' where you stop eating the foods that register as an intolerance. After a period of time they are re-introduced into the system one at a time. A food that can be tolerated if not eaten too often is called a 'cyclic' food allergy. The chances of developing an allergy to the food increases the more often the food is eaten. Most people with food intolerance live on a 'rotation diet' meaning we can eat the food once a week or every four days without symptoms, for example alternating different rains for a four day period so as not to be reliant on one.

    I made a lot of changes in my diet and I am much healthier, physically and mentally. I'm running well and can even have small amounts of chocolate. I tend to go off the wagon at Easter and get a big Gold Lindt chocolate Bunny, knowing I will pay the price for it several days afterwards by feeling ill. I just can't help it. I love the Gold Bunnies!

  10. #10

    Default

    Ive had celiac for a long time. It used to be very difficult to explain to wait staff and friends who cook. Then, it became trendy. People started grouping us with the people on trendy diets. Now, it sometimes isnt taken seriously. Ive had comments like 'it just has a few breadcrumbs ' or some dangerous thing like that. Since 2002 when diagnosed, ive been hospitalized four times because someone didn't take me seriously. Food allergies are very serious for many people. I prefer to go to a few local restaurants that know me and never eat out at unknown restaurants or at peoples houses unless i know and trust them 100%.

Similar Threads

  1. Gluten Free Diet
    By Lizzie in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 24-Apr-2010, 03:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.