Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what am I supposed to do with these? o.O

Default So what am I supposed to do with these? o.O

I snagged six battle tested Q6600 kits the other day that otherwise would have been destined to the curb. They're complete with Intel motherboard, aftermarket low profile coolers and 4x1GB of DDR2. ...So now what do I do with them? I wonder what the lowest wattage PSU I can get away with for these would be.

Bit tricky really, since you need to buy a whole load of other bits and pieces to make them useable. Any friends or family whose computers might be due for an upgrade?

And as for the PSU - well obviously that depends on what you're using them for. If you're not gaming or doing anything really processor-intensive, you might be able to get away with 300W.

Quote Originally Posted by Akastus View Post
    Bit tricky really, since you need to buy a whole load of other bits and pieces to make them useable. Any friends or family whose computers might be due for an upgrade?

And as for the PSU - well obviously that depends on what you're using them for. If you're not gaming or doing anything really processor-intensive, you might be able to get away with 300W.
    You're rather underestimating the power consumption there. With a TDP of only 105w, the Q6600 would never need a 300w PSU as what you 'might get away with'. :P I was aiming a biiiiit lower in terms of power wattage.

I think you mean over-estimating. Regardless, that is only the processor - you need to count the motherboard and any drives as well. And there's nothing wrong with headroom.

Anyway, I suggested 300W because off-hand, I'm not sure where to find sub-300W ATX PSUs. They're not exactly in great demand any more, and I doubt that they are appreciably cheaper if you can find them.

I think you mean over-estimating. Regardless, that is only the processor - you need to count the motherboard and any drives as well. And there's nothing wrong with headroom.

Anyway, I suggested 300W because off-hand, I'm not sure where to find sub-300W ATX PSUs. They're not exactly in great demand any more, and I doubt that they are appreciably cheaper if you can find them.
    The board is about 20w, a single HDD ranges around 5w. :P

There's actually a lot of lower wattage PSUs, but they aren't what's commonly talked about since they're boring I'm thinking smaller compact mATX cases with FLEX power supplies. You can get'em down to 200w easily. The real factor is if one wants to put in a GPU, since those are the real gas guzzlers of any PC.

Actually:
    Motherboards can pull from 25W to 80W.
    Ram for that board: 3-5W .
    Graphics card: 25w to 350W
    3.5" harddisk can draw up to 10W
    DVD/blueray drive: 15-30W
    Case fans: 0,5 to 3W

Bare minimum PSU you can run= 200W, but the powersupply will constantly run hot and have a short life.
    Recommended minimum PSU = 300W. This will also give you less powerbills as less power are turned to heat in the PSU.

There aren't a lot of lower wattage ATX PSUs, and I assumed (erroneously) you meant full ATX. Should have looked at the picture more closely. :-p

If you haven't decided whether or not you're sticking in a GPU, there's not much point shopping for PSUs yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharanu View Post
    DVD/blueray drive: 15-30W
    Opticial media, in 2015? :V

There aren't a lot of lower wattage ATX PSUs, and I assumed (erroneously) you meant full ATX. Should have looked at the picture more closely. :-p

If you haven't decided whether or not you're sticking in a GPU, there's not much point shopping for PSUs yet.
    I'm mostly thinking render farm in small mATX boxes. These are actually retired render farm machines that sat in a box for a couple of years so I got'em free from work. I figured a desktop/sideways/bridge type mATX case that I could stack up with spacers between them for air flow would be the way to go. ANd a couple I'll just be giving away to friends probably, for servers and such.

Though I am curious about building an HTPC/Steam Machine out of one just for fun and hten rebuilding it as something else.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyAshes View Post
    Opticial media, in 2015? :V
    I still burn movies for grandma. As well I have 1TB on dvd's as backups from long ago. Not to mention, how on earth do you install operating systems without a dvd. Sorry, mobo don't support thumbdrives, which are more costly than a dvd any how. They still have relevance, most software you buy at the store, comes on a dvd. etc. Most of the games I bought are on disk. etc

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyM View Post
    I still burn movies for grandma. As well I have 1TB on dvd's as backups from long ago.
    I have a 21TB storage server instead. :P

Not to mention, how on earth do you install operating systems without a dvd. Sorry, mobo don't support thumbdrives, which are more costly than a dvd any how.
    I haven't seen a motherboard manufactured in at least the last 10 years that doesn't support boot from USB and I haven't installed an OS off of optical disk in about as long. Installing off of USB key is a lot more convenient.

They still have relevance, most software you buy at the store, comes on a dvd. etc. Most of the games I bought are on disk. etc
    Software bought on disc seems so retro. ^^;;;;;