Double diapering

Status
Not open for further replies.

dprabdldpr3

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I recently saw a gif somewhere online where someone took two diapers and cut a horizontal slit in the back top and slid the other diaper inside the first for extra absorbency. They then taped up the slit they made? Does anyone know where that gif is? Has anyone tried this method of putting a diaper inside of another diaper?

Physically inside another nappy? As in between the outer plastic and inner lining? Only once. It was extremely fiddly, and rather uncomfortable. I find it far easier to just make some slits in the outer plastic of the first nappy, put it on, then put another nappy on top. Though TBH, I stopped doubling when I started using the Tena Maxi, since it swells so much. To say nothing of the Waddler Overnight.

I did try cutting off the wings of a couple of disposable nappies and putting them inside the pocket of one of my PUL pocket nappies, but that's much easier. It's what pocket nappies are built for.

There's no shortage of thick nappies these days, either those that start off thick, or become thick when wet, so doubling is less necessary for bulk than it used to be.

I have double diapered but not in the way you are describing. It might be worth a shot.

Doubling up helps with the cheap store brands to get the thick feeling.
You just put one on then split the cover then put the second one on.
Certainly brand I buy makes me feel very babyish when I do this then use stamps to put prints on then.
To make them look little like baby ones.

The usual technique for higher absorbency / thicker padding is to cut many short vertical slits in the inner diaper (before puting it on!) and then put on the second diaper on top. The slits let execss fluids run out into the core of the outer diaper.

https://www.adisc.org/forum/album.php?albumid=1507&attachmentid=3498

You could also double diaper to give more bulk without more capacity by leaving the inner diaper unmodified. That would let you carefully slip off the outer diaper to change the inner and reuse the outer diaper several times.

double diapering

I've double diapered with the store brands of diapers by slitting in a few places on the one on the inside and then putting the second one on. I read about this next one several years ago and it also works, although it takes a while to complete. the following steps are required, Unfold the diaper that you want on the inside, cut off all excess material wings and etc, be sure to cut off the leak guards from the inner diaper, this helps the inner diaper to lay flat, and then put holes or slits in the outside portion of the diaper. Spread out the diaper that you want to be your outside diaper, take and spray a light coating of canned glue on the inside of this diaper, then spray a light coating in the slit side of the inside diaper after about a minute you can put the inside diaper on the inside of the glued side of the outer diaper, be sure to stretch out both diapers to make them smooth. You have to give the glue time to dry some before putting the double diaper on. With this method, you have a double diaper with only 1 set of tapes to deal with.

bambinod said:
The usual technique for higher absorbency / thicker padding is to cut many short vertical slits in the inner diaper (before puting it on!) and then put on the second diaper on top. The slits let execss fluids run out into the core of the outer diaper.

You could also double diaper to give more bulk without more capacity by leaving the inner diaper unmodified. That would let you carefully slip off the outer diaper to change the inner and reuse the outer diaper several times.

This is typically the way I do it. You cut various slits in the inner diaper, which makes it useless on its own, but it will still absorb liquid while the excess will run out to the second diaper on top of it. I usually try to tape up the second one so it fully covers the front of the second diaper and the result is extra thickness and both diapers worth of absorption. It's rarely worthwhile unless you're able to wear the same diapers for a whole day though, or chug water like there's no tomorrow.

bambinod said:

This is what I've always done, especially with a limited access to good quality diapers. I've either used baby diapers and then added depends as support (otherwise there would be leaks. Like a couple of others have mentioned, just make sure the leg gathers of the outside ones are over the inner diapers. I've even triple diapered depends with this method before and had no issues.

Maybe this will help anyone looking for added bulk: use the GoodNitesTruFit inserts as stuffers. They're really really REALLY absorbent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back