Zelda: Symphony of the Goddeses

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluMew

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
Hey all. I'm again attending a couple of video game music symphonies. Last time it was Pokémon Symphonic Evolutions. This time it is The Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddeses

Right now it's making a sweep through the middle of the midwest -- Chicago, Illinois, Indianapolis, Indiana, and Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I'll be attending both the Chicago and Milwaukee events. If by any chance anyone is going to either, shoot me a PM. Let's meet up :)

If you have the time and any spare money -- I'd encourage you to look at the schedule of performances.

The website is: http://zelda-symphony.com/pages/schedule

The performance is in its 3rd year. Most of the performances are in the United States, however, there are a handful of performances scheduled for Europe, as well. It has toured to Canada, Mexico, and Japan in the past.

The upcoming performance in New York will have seating for ~20,000.

That's really interesting BluMew. How does an orchestra like this come together? Orchestras are expensive as are tours. Incredible that this many players would come together to play music from a game.

My son saw it. He said it was awesome!

dogboy said:
That's really interesting BluMew. How does an orchestra like this come together? Orchestras are expensive as are tours. Incredible that this many players would come together to play music from a game.

Well, there are plenty of games with fully orchestrated scores these days, and Zelda is one of the earliest and most prominent examples - the score for Occarina of Time was excellent and varied, and that was the better part of twenty years ago. Even before that, in the 16-bit era, the music was quite good, given the limitations of the hardware.

Browse around and you'll find plenty of video game soundtrack releases on iTunes and Amazon. So a concert playing video game music is not that much more surprising than one playing film music......but a tour does seem unlikely. Unless it's being done on a shoestring budget and the players are hoping to attract attention from professional orchestras by doing something groundbreaking....

dogboy said:
Well, first Nintendo is a company with plenty of cash on hand.... let's just start with that :)

Secondly, as far as I understand this originally was going to be just a lavish way of celebrating the 25th anniversary (2011) of the Zelda franchise. A performance in Japan, a performance in America, and a performance in Europe. However, clearly, to continue through four years later, with performances stretching into 2016 someone must have figured out they stumbled across a goldmine.

These aren't shoestring budget performances. A 90 piece orchestra and full chorus. With projected video synchronized to the music.

Just, go. See it. You don't even have to know what Zelda is, let alone, have played it in the past to enjoy the performance. I can't fathom anyone regretting their attendance.

This will be my 7th and 8th attendance. I'd say, it's possible that I'm a Zelda fan and I may have played one or two games in the past....

BluMew said:
Well, first Nintendo is a company with plenty of cash on hand.... let's just start with that :)

Secondly, as far as I understand this originally was going to be just a lavish way of celebrating the 25th anniversary (2011) of the Zelda franchise. A performance in Japan, a performance in America, and a performance in Europe. However, clearly, to continue through four years later, with performances stretching into 2016 someone must have figured out they stumbled across a goldmine.

These aren't shoestring budget performances. A 90 piece orchestra and full chorus. With projected video synchronized to the music.

Just, go. See it. You don't even have to know what Zelda is, let alone, have played it in the past to enjoy the performance. I can't fathom anyone regretting their attendance.

This will be my 7th and 8th attendance. I'd say, it's possible that I'm a Zelda fan and I may have played one or two games in the past....

It sounds awesome. Believe it or not, I played the original Zelda game on a Nintendo game console, of course. I really liked the game.

It's going to be here in Portland on the 25th. I also have the Super Smash bros Melee orchestra disk that came in the Nintendo Power magazine back in 2003 or so. I also still have that Zelda CD that came with Skyward Sword.

Hey all :) So I have a treat for you. Steven Colbert and CBS welcomed The Legend of Zelda: Symphony of Goddesses onto The Late Show last night. It was a promo for their NY performance just hours later that evening, as well as, for their newly extended performances into 2016.

Here is the 5 min excerpt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg8d3TJzVl0

Yup, my wife and I saw them last night on Colbert. They were awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back