Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any other semi drivers

Default Any other semi drivers

Curious if there are any others here who have in the past drove, or still drive trucks professionally? Honestly I'm about a year In now and driving for swift in the 48 continental US. Currently running a 2013 freightliner cascadia with the 425hp Cummins s and 8 speed manual. Sadly my kenworth went down so swift put me in a freightshaker.

Quote Originally Posted by w0lfpack91 View Post
    Curious if there are any others here who have in the past drove, or still drive trucks professionally? [...]

Well, a nit-picking comes to mind first...

Semi =

semi-
    a combining form borrowed from Latin, meaning “half,” freely prefixed to English words of any origin, now sometimes with the senses “partially,” “incompletely,” “somewhat”:
    How this came about to correlate with large tractor-trailer rigs (lorries -British English)...

Cab-over, also known as Cab Over Engine (COE), cab forward (U.S. English), or forward control (British English), is a body style of truck, bus, or van that has a vertical front or "flat face", with the cab of the truck sitting above (or forward of) the front axle. This contrasts with a conventional truck where the engine is mounted in front of the driver.

This truck configuration is currently common among European and Japanese truck manufacturers, because the laws governing overall vehicle lengths are strict and the body style allows longer trailers (in the case of a tractor-trailer truck) or a longer cargo area (in the case of a "straight" truck, a truck with a single rigid frame supporting all components and the load) for the same overall length.

Although popular among United States heavy truckers and trucking companies during the 1970s because of strict length laws in many states, when those length laws were repealed, most heavy-truck makers moved to other body styles. It is, however, still very popular in the light- and medium-duty truck segment.
    The cab-over (or flat face) did not have the front engine cover (hood) projection, known as a conventional... and appeared to be half or semi the original US conventional tractor... {think of semi-circle, semi-conscious, etc.}

It is unfortunate that many people refer to tractor-trailer heavy-freight vehicles (averaging US 22-tons and 18-wheels *with several exceptions*), as semi's... As most of them simply are not but, instead are more often these days... a conventional-cab configuration...

This misnomer is often perpetuated in the media... "A semi has collided with a SUV on the Northbound Interstate" ... with no respect to the actual freight-hauler involved...

[/RANT]

I drove a US 6-ton, cab-over (sometimes referred to as a box-van) a few years ago... it was a 6-speed, 6-cylinder, diesel {properly pronounced dee-zil}, that included engine compression-brakes and, air-assist brakes (they were not actual 'air-brakes')... I was a driver...

The larger rigs that I was not certified to drive... I would operate in the shipping yards on occasion... I also rode as an on-board engineer on some early rigs... such as a '65 KW (which needed constant attention) and, an '86 International... I don't recall the drive-train specs now...

I have a comradery and overall respect for the 'real' drivers out there...

"roll on!"
    -Marka
    Last edited by Marka; 29-Sep-2015 at 07:37.

Some of the trucks I drove had two stick a B73 mack truck.
    Kenworth's , Peterbuilt's freight shaker's lol.
    24 year's worth no longer on road.
    Matter of fact they say there putting a lot of drivers in automatic transmission trucks.
    Wow have thing's have changed.
    Keep the shiny side down . Lol :-)

I'm not a driver but a dispatcher/manager/AR-AP/(any other title that is required to keep a small business running)

I couldn't handle the driving aspect; my ADHD gets to me too much and I can't concentrate like I would need to to drive safely for hours on end.

I don't drive over the road, but we have 3 Volvos that we pull Wilson hopper bottoms with to haul grain for the farm.

Wilsons are air ride. Volvos are '99-'00 with low rise sleepers. 2 have Cummins engines, the one I drive most has a Detroit. Mine has an 8 speed, one has a 9 speed, and the other has what I think is called a 12 speed. It has a gear splitting switch on the upper range.

The Volvos ride good, run good, and can be found fairly cheap for a truck that sits more than it moves. We probably put 5-10000 miles a year on each one.

We also like the Volvos because the front axle is set back and makes it easier to turn into and out of narrow farm field driveways.

Quote Originally Posted by foxkits View Post
    Some of the trucks I drove had two stick a B73 mack truck.
    Kenworth's , Peterbuilt's freight shaker's lol.
    24 year's worth no longer on road.
    Matter of fact they say there putting a lot of drivers in automatic transmission trucks.
    Wow have thing's have changed.
    Keep the shiny side down . Lol :-)
    Yeah had my run in with a D12 automated manual as a day cab freightshaker . Complete POS. Had a cat run cross the road and all the sensors went haywire and triggered a 50lb service brake and full Jake at 45 mph slammed my head in the steering wheel. Swore I would never buy or drive another truck with those systems again taking control of an 80,000lb vehicle away from the driver is way to dangerous in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by AAO View Post
    I don't drive over the road, but we have 3 Volvos that we pull Wilson hopper bottoms with to haul grain for the farm.

Wilsons are air ride. Volvos are '99-'00 with low rise sleepers. 2 have Cummins engines, the one I drive most has a Detroit. Mine has an 8 speed, one has a 9 speed, and the other has what I think is called a 12 speed. It has a gear splitting switch on the upper range.

The Volvos ride good, run good, and can be found fairly cheap for a truck that sits more than it moves. We probably put 5-10000 miles a year on each one.

We also like the Volvos because the front axle is set back and makes it easier to turn into and out of narrow farm field driveways.
    We have a few in the fleet. In February I'm gonna be buying my own truck, looking at the new peterbuilt aero cabs or a kenworth t660 with the super sleeper and the 13 speed s as well

I've driven rigid Trucks only , every thing from a mk1 1989 Ford cargo 7.5t 5speed manual with a decompression cable stop
    fully auto 20t Dennis trash carts
    12 speed auto and 8 speed knock over manual 26t rigid MAN fridge truck and currently driving a 15t fridge/freezer 2014 DAF LF 6 speed auto
    The main problem I have come across in the last few years is the auto changing boxes fitted on most modern trucks don't like you shifting to quick between drive and reverse and throws a hissy fit were as the box fitted to the trash cart is made by Allison controls and is a proper auto

Quote Originally Posted by w0lfpack91 View Post
    Yeah had my run in with a D12 automated manual as a day cab freightshaker . Complete POS. Had a cat run cross the road and all the sensors went haywire and triggered a 50lb service brake and full Jake at 45 mph slammed my head in the steering wheel. Swore I would never buy or drive another truck with those systems again taking control of an 80,000lb vehicle away from the driver is way to dangerous in my opinion.
    They are testing trucks that drive them selves.
    They think we are steering wheel holders not.
    Hated the anti-collision systems.
    When any one passed you a speaker blared in your ear talk about road rage .
    Company's hate having to pay our wages.

I drove an early 2000's late 90's international for a farmer this year as well as a 1988 ford. Both really fun to drive and I'm excited to get back on the horse next year.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1443575869173.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	24717 This is the only picture I have of it, this is what happens when you blow a hose on your PTO and you need to dump