Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mental Illness and ABDL?

MichaelWeston

Question Mental Illness and ABDL?

I am a Psychology major and I am wondering do any of you think there is a connection to mental illness to ABDL?

I admittedly have FASD (Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder), I am very light on the scale of things, I can function in everyday life no problem, I used to be a Police Detective for a matter of fact. I have noticed people on the Autism Spectrum and FASD Spectrum seem to more often be ABDL then other populations of people. What are your guys thoughts on this?

It's possible. Various forms of developmental delay could lead to a latent desire to return to a state of infancy when forced to deal with the harsh reality of the adult world. The other alternative is that people on the AS and FASD spectrums simply have fewer inhibitions about expressing behaviour that is regarded as socially aberrant, so they attract more attention - classic Sample Bias. In other words, it's not that there is any statistical difference in the propensity towards ABDL, just that neurotypicals are far more closeted about it. Thinking about it, the same may have been true of homosexuals.

I have never been formally diagnosed, but I display enough personality traits and score high enough on the Baron-Cohen scale that I'm fairly sure I have a mild case of Aspergers Syndrome, and there are several other members of my family on my mother's side who display similar traits.

We could do a survey of the membership, but again, that could well be biased towards FASD or AS spectrum, because they are more likely than neurotypicals to be members.

MichaelWeston

Quote Originally Posted by Akastus View Post
    It's possible. Various forms of developmental delay could lead to a latent desire to return to a state of infancy when forced to deal with the harsh reality of the adult world. The other alternative is that people on the AS and FASD spectrums simply have fewer inhibitions about expressing behaviour that is regarded as socially aberrant, so they attract more attention - classic Sample Bias. In other words, it's not that there is any statistical difference in the propensity towards ABDL, just that neurotypicals are far more closeted about it. Thinking about it, the same may have been true of homosexuals.

I have never been formally diagnosed, but I display enough personality traits and score high enough on the Baron-Cohen scale that I'm fairly sure I have a mild case of Aspergers Syndrome, and there are several other members of my family on my mother's side who display similar traits.

We could do a survey of the membership, but again, that could well be biased towards FASD or AS spectrum, because they are more likely than neurotypicals to be members.
    That us a super fair point. I am sure there is a way of studying this without bias.

I've always wondered this myself, even more lately as I'm majoring in psychology as well. I have a few disorders but they're pretty run-of-the-mill. ADD, Depression, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of anxiety disorder, as I've struggled with that from a very early age. As far as I know I don't FASD, but my mom was a severe alcoholic leading up to my conception and I wouldn't be surprised if she drank a little while she was pregnant with me.

I've also noticed that a lot of AB/DL's seem to fall on the autism spectrum. I seriously doubt there's any direct correlation, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if people that suffer from certain mental illnesses are more inclined to identify as AB/DL.

MichaelWeston

Quote Originally Posted by theQman View Post
    I've always wondered this myself, even more lately as I'm majoring in psychology as well. I have a few disorders but they're pretty run-of-the-mill. ADD, Depression, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of anxiety disorder, as I've struggled with that from a very early age. As far as I know I don't FASD, but my mom was a severe alcoholic leading up to my conception and I wouldn't be surprised if she drank a little while she was pregnant with me.

I've also noticed that a lot of AB/DL's seem to fall on the autism spectrum. I seriously doubt there's any direct correlation, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if people that suffer from certain mental illnesses are more inclined to identify as AB/DL.
    I have to remind myself, correlation is not causation. It could just be looking at a group for long enough and you see things, I have been to many events for Autism and FASD and some other Spectrum disorders. I would like to help others and therefore I need to study them. Seeing I have FASD, but still and function in Law Enforcement and made my first million this year, I'd like to be a guidance counselor type person eventually after my degree.

I have seen some connection between autism and AB/DL, would love to see some studies done on this.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronbabywolf View Post
    I have seen some connection between autism and AB/DL, would love to see some studies done on this.
    Not easy, I'm afraid. Meaningful conclusions would require a representative sample of AB/DLs, not just those who volunteer, or who come to public attention. It's a bit difficult to survey the closeted. That was the mistake Freud and his acolytes made - drawing general conclusions about pathologies from extreme cases, because it was only extreme cases that ever came to his attention.

We aren't in as bad a position as homosexuals were in a couple of generations ago, fortunately, but ABDL is still a little too outré for most people, so you can't realistically expect an honest response to any kind of survey.

This is an interesting question. Any fetish falls outside the normal parameters of accepted, social adjustment simply because that's defined by majority behavior. I had a psychiatrist when I was in college, and I've suffered two psychotic breaks, one as a 12 year old, and the other at 22. But everyone here has a different story, and they're all different, or for the most part. If there's causation, it's fluid in that there would be many different factors.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelWeston View Post
    That us a super fair point. I am sure there is a way of studying this without bias.
    I myself have Mild Autism and Mild Cerebral Palsy.
    There seems to be quite a few on the Autism and Cerebral Palsy disability spectrums who are AB/DL.
    I am an Adult Baby.

Yes I have noticed it myself, there seems to be lot of us who have mental health issues or mental illnesses or neurological disorders. I wonder if it is just a coincidence or are we more likely to get AB/DL but I bet there are more people with mental issues and illnesses and disorders than are people who are AB/DL.