Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Underweight?

Default Underweight?

I think I might be underweight a bit.

I weigh 59 kilos and I'm around 183cms tall, I haven't put on weight I think for like 2 or 3 years, Is this healthy, what is wrong with me?

I don't eat that much due to the fact of my depression, but I have been eating lots lately,

Any advice on what I should do?

I've always been skinny, its a genetic thing.

I'm in the same field. I haven't gave much weight since high school if not before then. I'm sure you're worrying about nothing. I'm five foot 6 and only weight around 120 on a good day. When I went to the doctor earlier it was at 107, so you're not alone.

If you go by Body Mass Index, then yes, you are a bit underweight. Healthy range for your age starts at 18.2 and you are 17.6. You could stand to gain a few kilos, but you aren't dangerously underweight. But BMI isn't infallible, and doesn't taking account of differing body types. If you're naturally skinny, it's not really a problem. And you are only 18 - you won't gain any more height, but you will almost certainly get a bit thicker as you age.

Try calorie counting for a week or so to get a better handle on whether you're eating enough. But really if you have concerns, you should ask your doctor. When was the last time you saw one?

2013 lol and that was for chest pain.

My mother keeps asking If i'm eating my meals. which is unusual.

I weigh about 115Lbs (52Kg) and am about 5ft. 5in (165cm). I don't think it's too much to worry about.

When I entered high school I had some medical issues relating to my size and weight and went on growth hormone therapy for a while. I only weighed 80Lbs (36Kg) then. I very rapidly gained 20Lbs and stayed at the 100Lbs (45Kg) mark for years. Only this year did I gain another 15Lbs to put me where I am now. If your height/weight isn't effecting you in any way, there is nothing to worry about. If your weight changes rapidly without you trying, see a doctor.

Impossible to tell unless you're standing in front of me. I have a friend who's very close to your height and weight. He's a very good cyclist, competitive in cyclocross. Thin, but hardly unhealthy. He's also old enough to be your grandfather.

You're also quite young. Your muscle mass may not have caught up to your height yet. I was that way, Maxx Junior was too.

Wrestling through high school and college, doing endurance sports later in life, I've always known within a pound or two where my best weight was for peak athletic performance. Below it, I lose strength and my digestive system goes haywire. Above it, I'm just carrying extra baggage. By the BMI charts, this is underweight. My relatives always accuse me of being anorexic, of course they're all obese, many of them morbidly obese by the BMI charts. Some jealousy at work I think, although to be fair, if you stood me in a crowd of average citizens, I would be odd man out.

The medical numbers, blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol, heartrate tell a different story. All of them where the doctors say everyone should be by a wide margin.

Following is more than you probably wanted to know:

BMI is useful for statisticians because its the only readily obtainable measure of 'fatness'. Doctors have always recorded height and weight, so the records are out there for lots of people over a long period of time. Its a worthless measurement for individuals. Body fat measurements are better, although significant variations in muscle mass can make the percentage misleading in really thin people or strength athletes.

Fat is stored fuel. Think of it as a reserve fuel tank. Animals survive through the winter using fat stores. Our ancestors did as well, fat stores smoothing out the ups and downs of foraging.

Fat is also part of your endocrine system, secreting hormones that interact with other organs, including your brain, telling you when you need to refuel, when you've had enough, etc. Women with too little fat stop menstruation. That's an evolutionary defense mechanism, preventing them from becoming pregnant when food is scarce, or they may not be able to forage for food efficiently and have enough reserves to get them through pregnancy and breastfeeding. Too little fat also can result in osteoporosis (no, I don't know the mechanism behind that) and other things. Female athletes have to be careful not to go below 10-12% body fat for those reasons.

For men, 5-7% is the minimum number. You'll hear now and then of athletes boasting of lower numbers. In some cases, they're fibbing, or got a bad measurement, in others, they have significantly more muscle mass than normal. They have the right amount of fat, but the percent of body weight is a little lower because of all the muscle. If you have very little muscle mass, 10% body fat might actually be an ideal number for you.

FWIW, caliper method or immersion are the only accurate ways to get body fat percent. Those electronic scales that give a number measured via body impedance are not very accurate.

******Caveat: I am not a doctor or a nutritionist, but I'm old enough to know stuff. And I know people who know stuff.*************

yeah, fair enough, I'm just concerned because my mother asked me if i was eating my meals, of course I do. though when I skip meals I get low blood sugar so I have to eat often.

My nana is also the same, I have friends who are a little fatter than me, maybe its just genetics? though on my mothers side of the family, diabetes runs, however skinnyness and tallness also runs on my mothers side of the family.

Quote Originally Posted by BluePanda View Post
    yeah, fair enough, I'm just concerned because my mother asked me if i was eating my meals, of course I do. though when I skip meals I get low blood sugar so I have to eat often.

My nana is also the same, I have friends who are a little fatter than me, maybe its just genetics? though on my mothers side of the family, diabetes runs, however skinnyness and tallness also runs on my mothers side of the family.
    To some extent, those tendencies are genetic, but they can be affected by lifestyle, especially exercise.

An oversimplified explanation of type II diabetes is that its a reaction to overworking the insulin system by consistently dumping in too much fuel day in and day out.

Generally, it is easier on your energy production system to eat small amounts more often. HOWEVER...

Endurance athletes' bodies adapt over months and years of long exercise sessions by increasing the amount of glycogen (what carbohydrates turn into by the time they get digested and into your bloodstream - glycogen is your primary fuel, fat is secondary) that can be stored in muscles and liver before the insulin kicks in to store the excess as fat. They also adapt by increasing the use of fat as fuel. My dad and Junior have issues with blood sugar, I don't. That should suggest something about the genetic end of it vs lifestyle.

Understand, though, that these kinds of adaptation require fairly significant amounts of exercise. We're not talking about walking around the block a few times.

An old reference, but still valid as far as I know:

http://www.gssiweb.org/en/Article/ss...e-new-concepts

With my Fitbit I have been able to track my weight and calories and it lets me know to eat more if I exercise more. It has really helped. I used to be 15 pounds underweight, but now I am just starting to hit normal. I am trying to stop there because these 15 pounds are something I am not used to yet.