Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADISC 1996 Style

Default ADISC 1996 Style

Just a quick video I threw together of my 1996 Toshiba laptop going on ADISC. Sorry about the quality and softness of the video, I didn't realise until editing.

Once I get internet working on it, I'll do a better video, and I'll turn off my desktop so there won't be as much background noise!

Cool! It reminded me of when we got our first computer and internet when I was 10/11 years old and about the same time around 1997 or 1998 I discovered that there others like me on the internet and started exploring those old abdl websites.

That's awesome you've got a computer from 96 AND it actually works too (not too mention it's a Toshiba which makes it all the more impressive).

But oh my god, that was painful to see the amount of time it takes for the page just to open, let alone loading everything, lol! Not to mention that was stored LOCALLY and it still took that long, ouch.

Nice background too

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    That's awesome you've got a computer from 96 AND it actually works too (not too mention it's a Toshiba which makes it all the more impressive).

But oh my god, that was painful to see the amount of time it takes for the page just to open, let alone loading everything, lol! Not to mention that was stored LOCALLY and it still took that long, ouch.

Nice background too
    haha yeah I know it did take a while. And thanks about the background I can be pretty patient with my computers. And my internet is normally about 230-290K/s so I can put up with less than lightning speeds

One thing you all have to remember. Back then we did not have the crap that loaded up when you load the internet. So it was not bad for it time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    One thing you all have to remember. Back then we did not have the crap that loaded up when you load the internet. So it was not bad for it time.
    Yeah, I develop websites as a bit of a hobby and most of mine look like something you'd see in the 90's in Netscape or something And it probably took so long because the version of Netscape I was using is MUCH newer than the computer and it's really slow to launch all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    I think we can all agree. There is nothing wrong with this

http://www.warnerbros.com/archive/sp.../movie/jam.htm

I was a very little boy when I had my first experience with the Internet. Of course, I didn't recall ever using Netscape, only IE. Now I haven't used IE in years now for security reasons.

BTW, your desktop background looks pretty cool, even though I'm not an MLP fan. And I can't believe your old laptop still works after nearly 20 years.