Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I had my furry moment

Default I had my furry moment

Apparently I'm probably a furry. Came to irc after some drinks and noticed I'd roleplay around as a furry. I usually am not a person into the whole furry thing but some reason I guess I want to be a furry. I tend not to like furries but I am pretty tolerable of them. Whatever, just another awesome part of species of furries that I can portray myself.

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
    Apparently I'm probably a furry. Came to irc after some drinks and noticed I'd roleplay around as a furry. I usually am not a person into the whole furry thing but some reason I guess I want to be a furry. I tend not to like furries but I am pretty tolerable of them. Whatever, just another awesome part of species of furries that I can portray myself.
    You are what you feel, no one can tell you your fursona. It's just something that fits you and you can identify with, or a species that your a particularly fond of.

I claim that I'm not a real furry because I have no interest in the furry society or in conventions, or even in commissioning art. For me it's like pretending to be a Christian: I get the benefits of enjoying furry art, and engaging in furry roleplay, without being burdened by furry drama. Others claim that I'm in denial, and still others think I'm not furry enough.

The point is, "furry" is just a convenient label that encompasses many things. You don't have to worry about "being a furry" just because you share some of the same tendencies. Just roll with it.

Mako

There's no such thing as a "real" furry except among elitests. You don't need to be active in the fandom, draw or commission art, attend conventions or anything like that. Hell you don't even need a fursona, most people don't even know what a furry fan is. It's a fan of furries and though not as visible, still a big part of the community.

Just like anime, gaming, or star trek fandom, you don't need need to attend convetions, or make your own. Simply have an appreciation and interest in the specific medium for the anthro's.

Quote Originally Posted by DLGrif View Post
    I claim that I'm not a real furry because I have no interest in the furry society or in conventions, or even in commissioning art. For me it's like pretending to be a Christian: I get the benefits of enjoying furry art, and engaging in furry roleplay, without being burdened by furry drama. Others claim that I'm in denial, and still others think I'm not furry enough.

The point is, "furry" is just a convenient label that encompasses many things. You don't have to worry about "being a furry" just because you share some of the same tendencies. Just roll with it.
    I second that.

Go with the flow. I'd say I'm sort of a furry at times, partly because I think it can be fun and partly for the social value it has, especially on ADISC. Otherwise, it doesn't play a massive part in my personality. It's just a small part of me that I bring out when it's called for... otherwise I'm not much of a furry.

And... I think the artwork is cute!

There's no such thing as a "real" furry except among elitests. You don't need to be active in the fandom, draw or commission art, attend conventions or anything like that.
    I beg to differ, to consider yourself a furry you have to actually be a fan of anthropomorphics. If you aren't interested in the fandom, drawing, commissioning art or attending conventions then I wouldn't be so quick to consider yourself much of a fan at all, sounds to me like a casual interest. There's no furry television channel. It's all about an individuals involvement in the fandom that makes it endure year after year.

Granted this may be my malicious ''elitist'' standpoint talking, but if the fandom got rid of all the phony furries (yes, there is such a thing as a ''real'' furry) the fandom would be much, much less impressive as it now stands, speaking specifically of its presence on the internet.

Furry is bordering on becoming nothing more than a scene for young, outcast teenagers with social issues to feel like an individual in contrast to all the ''mundanes'' at school.

I don't know any baseball fans that don't watch baseball nor any comic book fans that doesn't collect/or at one point had comic books. The same way people shouldn't call themselves furs if they don't have an active interest in anthropomorphic animals. Anyone can take 10 seconds to create a 'generic' fursona and go under the guise of furry even if they don't have that base enthusiasm which for the greater part are the same people that ruin the fandom since they do such a terrible job of pretending to be something they're not.

Let's say Dennis thinks wolves are cool, that doesn't mean Dennis is a furry, he just thinks wolves are neat.

Now if Dennis's brother Bob thought archetypal werewolves were cool I'd say that is a typical furry attitude as werewolves have anthropomorphic traits. Wolves by themselves do not.

Most unseasoned furries are similar to Dennis which is where it all goes horribly wrong

Quote Originally Posted by DLGrif View Post

The fandom would be in a much better state (not that it's failing, at least from an elitist perspective) if more so called 'furry fans' were like DLGrif and Dash who have the maturity to admit they're not a furry, but still have a mellow attraction.

As it stands we have 14-18 year old kids running amok on the internet calling themselves furries who detest ''evil'' human society, genuinely believe they're wolf/demon hybrids with devil/angel wings, who have magical powers and a scar running down one eye. Waving the rainbow FURRY PRIDE 4 EVAR! flag giving all furries a bad name. Blah to that.

I'm not interested in debating my perspective considering I'm not about to change it.

I just beseech all those thinking about joining the fandom do just a little research before jumping on the bandwagon so you know what you as an individual will be representing.
    Last edited by MarcusBear; 17-Feb-2009 at 01:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
    I guess I'm puzzled as to why there is so much resistance to 'furriness'. As if being an AB/DL etc is somehow less unusual.

Is it because furries have a 'emo' reputation?

Perhaps it's because people seem to have a limited view of the world at large. As one can probably tell by looking at my age, I've seen overly emotional people in pretty much every group I've been part of. At work, church, model railroading clubs, scifi cons, car clubs, teddybear collectors, Windows/Mac/Linux aficionados, XBOX/PS/Nintendo, animation and pretty much everyplace where people base a large part of their lives as a 'such and such' fan.

Furry is hardly the awful thing it is portrayed to be. I have many good friends in furry fandom of whom have jobs, families and who don't act like the stereotype : )

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by Priest View Post
    I beg to differ, to consider yourself a furry you have to actually be a fan of anthropomorphics. If you aren't interested in the fandom, drawing, commissioning art or attending conventions then I wouldn't be so quick to consider yourself much of a fan at all, sounds to me like a casual interest. There's no furry television channel. It's all about an individuals involvement in the fandom that makes it endure year after year.
    Do you need any of those to be part of any fandom? This is what I mean by elitist when you take it past a FANDOM, and into the realm of a lifestyle. The claim that one can not appreciate all things anthro in private, without the involvement of the community is quite silly.

Granted this may be my malicious ''elitist'' standpoint talking, but if the fandom got rid of all the phony furries (yes, there is such a thing as a ''real'' furry) the fandom would be much, much less impressive as it now stands, speaking specifically of its presence on the internet.

Furry is bordering on becoming nothing more than a scene for young, outcast teenagers with social issues to feel like an individual in contrast to all the ''mundanes'' at school.
    And when we look at other fandoms, anime, star trek, sci-fi, D&D, etc. You see many of the same things. Do you know WHY a lot of people get into a fandom, because they personally connected with some aspect of it that gave them comfort or joy. Hence why you see a ton of socially ackward teens and adults in all of these other groups as well. Furry fandom is NO different. The main difference of furry fandom, is that we have an extremely diverse culture and many more readily accept the sexualized side of the fandom.

I don't know any baseball fans that don't watch baseball nor any comic book fans that doesn't collect/or at one point had comic books. The same way people shouldn't call themselves furs if they don't have an active interest in anthropomorphic animals.
    Agreed, of course I never argued that. So I don't really see what point your trying to make here...

Anyone can take 10 seconds to create a 'generic' fursona and go under the guise of furry even if they don't have that base enthusiasm which for the greater part are the same people that ruin the fandom since they do such a terrible job of pretending to be something they're not.
    Well inherently if they want to get into the furry fandom, there is some underlying enthusiasm or comfort they get out of it. Even if they're socially ackward, and uncreative. Unlike your apparent god like coolness and brilliant mind. You've really only further gone to shown EXACTLY what I'm talking about with elitism in the fandom. I really hope this post will help you reflect on some of the things I've said, because I've found attitudes like yours is whats ruining our fandom and changing it from the friendly state that predominated it to the dramatical mess its come to. Socially ackward idiots have ALWAYS been there, the beginnings of furry fandom were born in sci-fi conventions. Have you ever seen one, it's ackward people city!!

Let's say Dennis thinks wolves are cool, that doesn't mean Dennis is a furry, he just thinks wolves are neat.
    I agree.

Now if Dennis's brother Bob thought archetypal werewolves were cool I'd say that is a typical furry attitude as werewolves have anthropomorphic traits. Wolves by themselves do not.
    Never claimed they did. It's not nice to attack straw men.

Most unseasoned furries are similar to Dennis which is where it all goes horribly wrong
    Evidence?

The fandom would be in a much better state (not that it's failing, at least from an elitist perspective) if more so called 'furry fans' were like DLGrif and Dash who have the maturity to admit they're not a furry, but still have a mellow attraction.
    So called? Furry fans ARE apart of the fandom. You don't need to be hardcore into it to be part of the fandom. Such an attitude is completely elitest. Furry fans, ARE different from furries. They're simply fans of anthro's and possibly the furry culture. The degree is not as relevant as it is when pertaining to a furry.

As it stands we have 14-18 year old kids running amok on the internet calling themselves furries who detest ''evil'' human society, genuinely believe they're wolf/demon hybrids with devil/angel wings, who have magical powers and a scar running down one eye. Waving the rainbow FURRY PRIDE 4 EVAR! flag giving all furries a bad name. Blah to that.
    I agree. As do elitest punks who puff themselves up and put others down ignorantly.

I'm not interested in debating my perspective considering I'm not about to change it.
    That quite sad, and I pity you then if you're your so biased in your mindset you refuse to change it. But as said above, only adds to the whole elitest persona. Hopefully you'll change this and give a good hard think.

I just beseech all those thinking about joining the fandom do just a little research before jumping on the bandwagon so you know what you as an individual will be representing.
    I hope you practice what ya preach, and maybe look into a bit of furry fandom history, and the other groups in this fandom other then those with fursona's.

I really hope our fandom one day will find more balance again, not being elitist and stuck up scaring those who are gaining an interest in our fandom away since they don't want to be scoffed at as "fake furries". But also not accepting and babying every douche with self diagnosed assburgers.

Quote Originally Posted by babibear View Post
    I guess I'm puzzled as to why there is so much resistance to 'furriness'. As if being an AB/DL etc is somehow less unusual.

Is it because furries have a 'emo' reputation?
    I think the furries have an reputation as being the after-product of anime television, not necessary a mind bungled child but more so that they convey to being a subject of an animal.