Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Under the Dome Goes Under

Default Under the Dome Goes Under

I just thought I'd post this since we've had several threads about Under the Dome. It was announced recently that the show has been cancelled.

http://www.vcpost.com/articles/89318...nouncement.htm

The final show airs next week, and because the writers were unsure of whether or not it would be renewed, it was written to be either a season finale or a series finale.

I'm not really upset about this. I loved the first season of this show, and then found it was getting weird and disjointed in the second season, and the third season is so far removed from the original concept that it's not even the same show. Christine gets on my nerves, and the hero of the show, Barbie, spends almost the entire season as one of her drones. It just sucked. They just seemed to be grasping at straws and never quite sure where to go with the concept.I never read the book, but it must have progressed better than this series did. So much potential wasted.

I heard that last week, too. Like you I enjoyed the first season and then it went downhill from there. Unlike you, however I did find this season to keep my attention. We are behind on the story for various reasons, so no spoilers!

The word on the street, however, is that this series opened the door for many summer series to follow. I forget how old you are but when I was growing up, there were only 5 channels and they repeated all the old fall/spring shows. It was good to catch up on them and to see Daisy Duke in her shorts again but there really wasn't much to do in the summer as far as TV went. This was before VCRs, you know.

So in conclusion, there will be more shows in the summer. One that we have been watching is "Zoo" based on the James Patterson book. Interesting premise. I think CBS has another promising blockbuster lined up to replace "Dome" for next summer. In the meantime, our "regular" shows are coming up in just a few short weeks! Ahhh!

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    I just thought I'd post this since we've had several threads about Under the Dome. It was announced recently that the show has been cancelled.

http://www.vcpost.com/articles/89318...nouncement.htm

The final show airs next week, and because the writers were unsure of whether or not it would be renewed, it was written to be either a season finale or a series finale.

I'm not really upset about this. I loved the first season of this show, and then found it was getting weird and disjointed in the second season, and the third season is so far removed from the original concept that it's not even the same show. Christine gets on my nerves, and the hero of the show, Barbie, spends almost the entire season as one of her drones. It just sucked. They just seemed to be grasping at straws and never quite sure where to go with the concept.I never read the book, but it must have progressed better than this series did. So much potential wasted.
    I feel the same way. It seemed to me that as this year's season progressed, the writers were writing it on the fly with no clear idea as to what was going to eventually happen. It made so many shifts from the original premise that my wife and I made jokes about it. Still, it was compelling enough to keep watching, but I'm glad it will end. It's more than run its course.

You will be shocked if you read the book because there is very little in common between book and TV show. Even the characters have different personas. King's character development is excellent in his novel, and I think it's a good read. The ending seems a little silly, but most horror writers have trouble with their endings.

The first season was great. After that it was a total trainwreck. There is hope that the Dark Tower saga will be turned into a series. King's even come out and said he won't let anyone else touch his story, he'll write the entire movie/series himself.

The article also states what I recall when the show started: that it was originally intended to be a limited series, and not exceeding one season. When the ratings were astronomical, however, they decided to make it an ongoing series. This would seem to explain why the quality was high in the first season, and inconsistent in the following summers. They really weren't sure where they were going with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    The article also states what I recall when the show started: that it was originally intended to be a limited series, and not exceeding one season. When the ratings were astronomical, however, they decided to make it an ongoing series. This would seem to explain why the quality was high in the first season, and inconsistent in the following summers. They really weren't sure where they were going with it.
    I don't know if I'd agree with "high quality", but the premise was at least interesting and the first couple episodes decent. Done right, it could have been a good one season exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    I don't know if I'd agree with "high quality", but the premise was at least interesting and the first couple episodes decent. Done right, it could have been a good one season exercise.
    Yeah, that may have been an overstatement, but I really did enjoy the first season.

Never did get to see all of Under the Dome, but I have read the book and enjoyed that. I saw a few epsiodes here in the Uk, on the terristeral channles before was promptly moved to Sky, which i don't have.

I greatly enjoyed the first season, didn't care for the second season all that much but still had a nice touch to it. The show ended to my acknowledgment with the Season 2 finale.

My wife and I saw it to it's bitter end and we were both disappointed. At least they had an ending though it was very open ended, so they could pick it up again if they wanted. I don't think it's worth it considering how down hill the last season went. The first season had some semblance to the book, but that ended in season two. It just seemed to get more ridiculous with each installment. I don't guess any of us should be surprised. After all, this is typical television.