a bracing dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
so, inbetween dodging rain and resting my shoulders, the ramps are coming along nicely-ish.
obviously, as a first-go, there's a couple of slight miscalculations (who'd have thought that a cutting disc would cut so widely?), but i'm now in a quandary as to how to brace the support portion of the ramp or even if need be?

dimensions: 103cm length, 25cm lift, 25cm rungs using 30mm X 30mm X 3mm angle steel.

2nw0e80.jpg

s3lblw.jpg

vr3k74.jpg

2qa0n5s.jpg

the diagonal and horizontal frames sit directly upon the vertical supports.
i'm tempted to go with the red example. i may be adding a vertical support to the ramp portion, depending on what metal i've got left over.
of course, i don't want to make them too heavy and i've already revised the layout for the number of rungs.

opinions/experience???

(btw, the image attachment thing isn't working)

i've gone with red.
this, along with a nod to the french for a matter of elegance, because of the cutting and joining of the upper rail whereas factory made ramps are one length, bent to shape.

Assuming this is for automotive use, wouldn't it be a whole lot simpler and safer to get some inexpensive ramps from, say, Harbor Freight?
simpler, not better.
and certainly not cheaper: those placky ones retail, over here, for about £50; i spent £56 on steel and, after a bit of a reconfiguring of rungs, i'll have used less than i originally planned. the placky ones don't give much lift and are only really intended for things like oil changes, not for dropping major parts nor underbody welding/repairs; these ramps will also be used as stands (as in axle-stands, but an alternative to as i don't trust axle-stands after one of my cars toppling off a set after somebody leant on the car).

i'll have pics up as soon as they're done (waiting on weather, again).
the best bit about this [pro-longed] summer project is that i gave my buzz-box a a bit of TLC (new earth and torch) and the auto-darkening mask which i treated myself to (total boon for stick welding).
now i've just got to tart-up a freebie mig (greasy as hell) and our bathroom (mum's orders) before winter comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back