Thread: a bracing dilemma

Default a bracing dilemma

so, inbetween dodging rain and resting my shoulders, the ramps are coming along nicely-ish.
    obviously, as a first-go, there's a couple of slight miscalculations (who'd have thought that a cutting disc would cut so widely?), but i'm now in a quandary as to how to brace the support portion of the ramp or even if need be?

dimensions: 103cm length, 25cm lift, 25cm rungs using 30mm X 30mm X 3mm angle steel.

the diagonal and horizontal frames sit directly upon the vertical supports.
    i'm tempted to go with the red example. i may be adding a vertical support to the ramp portion, depending on what metal i've got left over.
    of course, i don't want to make them too heavy and i've already revised the layout for the number of rungs.

opinions/experience???

(btw, the image attachment thing isn't working)

Green would be the strongest structure in the plane shown. Bear in mind that there's another plane you haven't shown us that needs to be considered. Collapse is a bad thing, whether fore-aft, or side to side!

The angled ramp part might also need structural support of some kind depending on the materials used and intended load.

In any case, triangles always win the battle for structural strength and stability. see "bicycle frame"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statics

Assuming this is for automotive use, wouldn't it be a whole lot simpler and safer to get some inexpensive ramps from, say, Harbor Freight?

I've got some plastic Rhino ramps that I've had forever and they've had no problem with everything from my dear departed Econoline to Juniors '87 Bro-Ham.

i've gone with red.
    this, along with a nod to the french for a matter of elegance, because of the cutting and joining of the upper rail whereas factory made ramps are one length, bent to shape.

Assuming this is for automotive use, wouldn't it be a whole lot simpler and safer to get some inexpensive ramps from, say, Harbor Freight?
    simpler, not better.
    and certainly not cheaper: those placky ones retail, over here, for about 50; i spent 56 on steel and, after a bit of a reconfiguring of rungs, i'll have used less than i originally planned. the placky ones don't give much lift and are only really intended for things like oil changes, not for dropping major parts nor underbody welding/repairs; these ramps will also be used as stands (as in axle-stands, but an alternative to as i don't trust axle-stands after one of my cars toppling off a set after somebody leant on the car).

i'll have pics up as soon as they're done (waiting on weather, again).
    the best bit about this [pro-longed] summer project is that i gave my buzz-box a a bit of TLC (new earth and torch) and the auto-darkening mask which i treated myself to (total boon for stick welding).
    now i've just got to tart-up a freebie mig (greasy as hell) and our bathroom (mum's orders) before winter comes.

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Ade
    now i've just got to tart-up a freebie mig (greasy as hell) and our bathroom (mum's orders) before winter comes.
    Please spare us the pics, we will take your word for it.

If you tart up the mig first, mum can get on with welding the ramp-stands, while waiting for you to clean the bathroom.

Poor mum, she certainly has her work cut out..

PS: Wish her all the best from us.
    PPS: Hope this helps.