Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABs - Are we romanticising childhood?

Default ABs - Are we romanticising childhood?

Obviously, because whether we feel it or not, we are all technically adults, I imagine that all but a tiny minority of us have to take care of at least some of the responsibilities or enact the behaviours associated with being 'grown up'. Because of that, the role of a baby or child can seem incredibly appealing in comparison to the stresses of work, family or even studying.

But do you think regression, ageplaying etc. romanticises what being a baby or child is like? When you consider that actual little ones sometimes have a lot of coughs, colds and jabs, have very few freedoms and are easily overtired, is being young actually not really any better - or perhaps worse - than the irritations of adulthood?

Or do you feel that those issues little ones might have would be well worth coping with for the ways that you would be treated as a baby/kid, the activities and games you could do with a carer and the innocence you'd have?

Or are you someone who never thinks about that in relation to your wants and needs to feel little?

Would be really interested to hear others' take on this.

I don't think that ABDL practices romanticises being a baby/child because I don't think that ABDL is meant to be a representation of genuine infancy - at least that has never been my goal, and I doubt others are trying to do accurate recreation of infancy either.
    I think that age-playing and regression are ways of enjoying the good bits of childhood "lifestyle" that lots of adults give up on, because "acting like a kid" is considered inappropriate for those of us with a chronological age greater than 18.
    Interestingly though there is much less cultural stigma about adults doing things which are "for kids" now than there was say 20 years ago. Nowadays you can play computer games, you can wear a onesie, read Harry Potter, do colouring ect. and still be considered a "normal grown up," people don't see the point in missing out on doing things which might be fun or comforting for the sake of upholding a traditional image of adult strength and authority.

I think it certainly does romanticize childhood. Intentionally. The point is to enjoy certain aspects of childhood. For most of us, it's diapers, toys, bottles, pacifiers and so on. The nice, pretty things that relate to happiness, love, and being cared for.

Some people that experience really strong regression may even go further and have some of the more negative aspects like irrational fears, night terrors, and emotional vulnerability. And still enjoy that because it does make them feel like a real child.

But remember, the first word of ABDL is "Adult." All of us have the ability to come out of our fun if something serious happens and to take care of ourselves when necessary. That's important. We're not helpless, often sick, or unusually frail, and I think that's good because those things are awful and best avoided.

It often seems that way to me. I had a nice childhood, but it could be immensely frustrating to have so little control over my life. I definitely prefer being an adult, if for no other reason than being adult allows me the opportunities to play as I choose when I've met my responsibilities.

I guess it's romanticising in the sense that we or at least I have a deep desire to achieve something so elusive as to be almost impossible. Of course there are physical limitations which simply can't be overcome, however, there are also many physical sensations which can be experienced in a very real sense. Mostly though it's psycological and emotional, and if even just for brief moments - real enough. Yes unfortunately, we can never break the tether that binds us to our adult selves (unless we were to completely flip in which case romanticism would be replaced with psychosis and we would be unaware of our condition) and so our romantic delusions help us to reach that unique experience, that for me at least I beleive, does legitimately connect with a mindset from the past....momentarily reviving it. I believe that its our ability to reconnect with something very real which provides our insatiable desire to return at every opportunity....possibly the closest we'd ever come to experiencing time travel. Yes we do romanticise as a mechanism for achieving something remarkable, and also I guess because we lament the fact that true reconnection will always be beyond us. If romanticism is about love, then call me a romantic because I absolutely adore feeling little.

I don't think it does especially because I can't remember being a baby or a toddler still in diapers. I remember being older, from about 4 years of age and on. I remember those years fondly, though I'm not sure I romanticize them. I think being AB/DL and regressing, recreating those early years is more of a psychological product rather than specific memories that need revisiting.

Not so. My childhood wasn't at all very happy. Im used to experiment in another ways, because I'm more DL than AB. But I sleep with paci always when I can.

Considering that even 20 years ago, kids played with real toys such as lego whereas now, they all want everything electronic. The fact a 3 yr old son of one of my Mum's friends said, ''Mummy, that's your iPhone. I want mine'' or when one of my students took his son to the playground and his son asked for his iPhone to play games shows how sad things have become. When I' m in Germany, and I see those colourful, wooden toys for sale, that's what childhood should be about, not just playing electronic games while still in diapers and not even mastering basic skills before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Are we romanticising childhood?
    yep, as much as we are victims of such romanticization.
    as with most cultural stuff, it's like those 'cycles of abuse' we often hear about; is there standard, neutral term for it?
    'abuse' springs to mind because i've lately been pondering, in the light of recent revelations and allegations, about the effects and influence of paedophiles within mainstream culture and media. as with anything of this like, you tend to look back to answer your questions of 'were there any signs? was there something i missed? why were these [films, books, etc] so popular?'

Concerning child abuse, there was a former Head of Year at a South London School who was found guilty of 'acts' - against disabled children as well! All of these incidents remind me of a meme I saw on this subject. The cation was smth like ''Where are all these Role Models now?' featuring Jimmy Saville, Rolf Harris etc in the 'Role Model Column and The Rolling Stones in the 'anti-role model' column.

My mum told me that back in the 70s, Jimmy Saville was on TV and my Grandma commented how ''good he was with the little kiddies'' but my Mum suspcted that smth wasn't right with him and she never really liked him