Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YouTube Videos Don't Display

Default YouTube Videos Don't Display

So ever since I upgraded to Windows 7 a week ago or whenever it was, for some reason youtube videos won't display. Like the audio is fine but the video is just black. It was fine in Windows 2000 but it won't work properly in 7.

And even weirder, when I'm on a different tab on my web browser and I hover the mouse over to the youtube page, I can see the video (just a still image obviously but it's there) and the same happens with that preview thing when you hover the mouse over minimized stuff.

I have a feeling it may be my graphics card (nvidia geforce FX5200) since it isn't supported in Windows 7 but I can't find a better one for my AGP system for a decent price. So could it be the graphics card? I've installed the vista drivers since those are the latest ones you can get but I still have the issue. Not too sure what to do. Oh and I've tried different web browsers and none of them work.

PaddedPuppy

Have you been able to try any other video sites? Do they stream ok or not?

Do you know if YouTube is trying to use the HTML5 or Flash video player? They haven't quite completed the switch yet so both are still a thing at the moment.

It does sound like it could be a graphics issue, however I don't think it would be the first cause that springs to mind. I don't suppose your computer has on board graphics too? Maybe you could try running that just to see how it behaves when it comes to playing videos there.

My guess would be that this is somehow related to YouTube and Flashes/or HTML5's usage of hardware accelerated video decoding conflicting with your painfully out of date machine's lack of hardware accelerated video decoding.

I'd try doing a clean installation of Flash to see if that helps:
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/928315?hc_location=ufi

Otherwise, if you right-click on a Flash video to access the settings, you could try disabling hardware acceleration.

I might try flash but I'm pretty scared since the whole security thing happened. I've been using HTML5 mainly for about 2 years.

The best thing would probably be to just replace the graphics card but I can't find any decent ones for a good price on ebay..

PaddedPuppy

As far as I can see that graphics card is very old and was relatively basic even when it was first made. Even modern shared graphics built in to motherboards outperform this!

You could quite easily get much better, newer hardware to replace it all for a good price. I bought a dual core desktop PC for 18 on eBay in full working order.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddedPuppy View Post
    As far as I can see that graphics card is very old and was relatively basic even when it was first made. Even modern shared graphics built in to motherboards outperform this!

You could quite easily get much better, newer hardware to replace it all for a good price. I bought a dual core desktop PC for 18 on eBay in full working order.
    I'm kind of reluctant to get a new computer. I built this one myself a few months ago using components my friend gave me, and it performs fine apart from graphics wise. And it's the first computer I built myself so it's kind of special to me I'm trying to get the most life out of it as I can. Supposing it doesn't explode or anything I think it'll last me another year or two maybe at least. After that I'll probably build a much higher end system to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Milko View Post
    I might try flash but I'm pretty scared since the whole security thing happened. I've been using HTML5 mainly for about 2 years.
    Ohhh yeahhh... Sorry -- I still live in the past! I assumed everyone had Flash installed. :-/

You might find Futuremark Peacemaker interesting. It's a site that supposed to test your "browser speed", but the tests uses HTML5 videos, so it would give you some idea of whether your PC/browser/graphics-card are capable of playing HTML5 video smoothly.

http://peacekeeper.futuremark.com/

It also makes me think that, if you're having issues in one browser, have you tried any others to see if the problem still occurs?

What browser are you using and what processor does your computer use? Others already pointed out the most likely culprits:

-HTML5/Flash support issues
    -graphics card issues

I don't know the exact specs on that card but it is pretty old. However I imagine it should be able to do 1080p video. It's really gaming and graphic editing/rendering that really require some power.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    What browser are you using and what processor does your computer use? Others already pointed out the most likely culprits:

-HTML5/Flash support issues
    -graphics card issues

I don't know the exact specs on that card but it is pretty old. However I imagine it should be able to do 1080p video. It's really gaming and graphic editing/rendering that really require some power.
    I'm using SeaMonkey 2.33.1 I think. Whatever the latest version is. Computer is a 3Ghz Pentium 4