Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "The death of imagination due to electronics"

Default "The death of imagination due to electronics"

Well, I shouldn't say death, as this is pretty extreme considering you can also play games like "Minecraft." What I mean is, playing with one another outside, not as a means of keeping in shape (that just came with the benefits), but making that one on one person connection, that REAL best friend you knew everything about because you were there when it happened, in physical form, not because they told you on social media.

I'm sorry, I digress completely

I'm not trying to be preachy about all of this, as I understand that evolution happens, but it doesn't make me feel any less sad.

I guess I'd have to agree to some extent. When I was a younger kid my parents had some pretty old school values and so I reckon I was the only kid I knew that didn't have a swag of gaming consoles. Of course this made me feel very deprived at the time. But the upshot was that my brother and I spent most of our time outdoors being very creative. (Visiting friends and their consoles was ok too)

We have a Wii console (not Wii U) and we have like 2 games. My kids complain about it, but I'm not interested in bringing a lot of that into the house. I'm getting more and more like my parents as time goes on! This summer our TV broke, and we didn't replace it, and it was wonderful to see the kids playing together and finding imaginative ways to play both inside and outside. They still played games at their friends' houses, and we even allowed them to watch limited shows on a tablet, but they had markedly less screen time the second half of the summer, and it was WONDERFUL! (From my perspective at least. Not sure the kids would agree. )

I totally agree with you ozbub Unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) I was an Outdoor (city)/Console Kid. We went outside as well as played video games together too, but we were mostly doing stuff outside. When you are extremely poor and living on welfare, there isn't too much you can do for free as entertainment for kids. That is, unless you went out to the boys and girls club, but not riding on the bus, as most of anyone who did that, their parents actual had cars. I can make comparisons all day, but I'd never make an excuse of how I was raised. Girls played jump rope, hop scotch and such. Boys, however, the only thing we ever worried about is how to defend yourself (except me, I was usually the one getting beat up). Believe it or not, we hung out and did things like everyone does everywhere else, but just in our own way with what we had. I am finally not ashamed of myself for coming up the way I did, but if I could have learned things like hunting and fishing, instead of "who's ass to kick today", trust me, I'd be a country boy!

Oh yeah I guess I could have added that I grew up in the country, so that time outdoors meant building cubbies, secret hideouts and stuff. It was pretty cool, but I was still bummed each Christmas and birthday when there was no gaming stuff. At least we had Tv and video. Even a computer never arrived until secondary school (then the rot began to set in hahaha)

Sorry about that ozbub, I wasn't trying to call you out buddy I forgot, I'm a city kid, but I'm a country raised adult now. I can't think of too many people who are lucky enough to see life from both sides of the fence. Be that as it may, well.........we did things like take old mattresses, pile them together and created a very dangerous bounce house with no side protection. We put together bare minimum for working bikes and road them down the hill with no brakes. We used to try to climb trees without breaking our legs and arms (yes, if you look hard enough, places like Newark NJ actually has a few trees here and there lol). We would wrestle or "play fight" like slap-boxing. We played with "sidewalk chalk" and even had those little cheap kiddie pools to play with, while the backyard barbecue or block parties went on. I know some of y'all may be reading some of this and thinking "wow, that's horrible" but, if no one ever taught you or showed you it was horrible, well, until you get old enough to know that it is, how else do you find out? Anyway, as long as you played games at your friends house, I'd say you too experienced the best of both worlds.

Asocial networking, electronics music, excesive dependence of mobill phones... It gets me sick. And is more: theese things drive this civilization into her death, because it'll not longer able to survive without all that crap.

As long as civilization has been producing enough for there to be leisure time, there have been obsessions with seemingly absurd unproductive, asocial activities. Books, model railroad, amateur radio, solitaire....

The significant difference now is that wireless technology allows the seeming paradox of being asocial in publc. So those who were invisible before are now visible. Worse, they are oblivious hazards to navigation, speed bumps for the rest of us trying to do something or get somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    As long as civilization has been producing enough for there to be leisure time, there have been obsessions with seemingly absurd unproductive, asocial activities. Books, model railroad, amateur radio, solitaire....

The significant difference now is that wireless technology allows the seeming paradox of being asocial in publc. So those who were invisible before are now visible. Worse, they are oblivious hazards to navigation, speed bumps for the rest of us trying to do something or get somewhere.
    Ham radio? But who else are you going to talk about the weather with?

People and societies evolve, personally that sentiment sounds like the typical "kids these days" bs