Thread: Yvonne Craig (Batgirl) passed away

Default Yvonne Craig (Batgirl) passed away

Your age is probably showing if you remember the Batman TV series of the 1960's with Adam West and Burt Ward. Yvonne Craig was brought into the show for the third season as Batgirl to boost ratings and expand its audience base. She just passed away after a two year battle with breast cancer.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/19/entert...batgirl-death/

The show itself was basically high camp and satire, but it didn't matter. When I was a little wee kid, these guys were my heroes. I think I even had my first crush on Robin.

Being a Trekkie, I also remember Craig playing a green skinned Orion in a Star Trek episode. In later years she was involved in social work and philanthropic work and advocated for free mammograms for women who could not afford them. Not a crime fighter in real life perhaps, but a fighter nonetheless.

As corny and silly as the Batman show was, It could be argued that Craig was a pioneer for women, playing the first female superhero on television, predating the Wonder Woman series in the seventies, and Black Widow on the big screen.

I remember her. That's so sad.

(I didn't think the show was campy at the time)

I still watch BATMAN every Saturday Evening on the MeTV Channel on CATV.

BATGIRL was cool.

I'm another original Batman fan and yes, I remember her. I watched Batman when it first came out. I was in high school, and yeah, I noticed Robin as well.....blushes.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    Your age is probably showing if you remember the Batman TV series of the 1960's with Adam West and Burt Ward.
    I watched re-runs everyday in the 70's. My buddy and I were Batman FANATICS. All the Mego toys, et al.

We would get extra excited if during the animated introduction they showed Batgirl on her Batcycle because, of course, that was the signal that she would be part of that particular episode.

Such wonderful memories.

I watched the original Batman and still think there is only one Batman and that is Adam West.

I just did not realize all of the shows she was in that I have watched like Perry Mason and Twilight Zone.

Here in the Chicago area, we still get it now and then on some of the lesser broadcast stations. Biff...Pow!

Sorry for changing the subject - was the Joker in Batman reallly played by Jack Nicholson?

Quote Originally Posted by babyplane View Post
    Sorry for changing the subject - was the Joker in Batman reallly played by Jack Nicholson?
    Jack Nicholson played the Joker in the 1989 Batman movie (Michael Keaton played Batman).

CÚsar Romero played the Joker in the old TV series. An interesting note: Romero refused to shave off his moustache for the role, so they had to apply the white facial makeup right over it, hoping it wouldn't be noticeable. If you look closely, you can see the moustache under all the makeup.

Thanks Starunner! Will have to youtube some old and more recent Batman videos to see if I can get the difference