360 degree YouTube videos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
I was going through my backlog of YouTube videos and came across a few that offered 360 degree field of view. They're really neat and offer a new perspective for YouTuber's to make videos with.

I think they came out around March and only work in Chrome and the Android app right now but here's a link for anyone who's interested:
#360Video Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzuqhhs6NWbgTzMuM09WKDQ

That's really nifty. Although, I feel like there are a few minor issues with the 360 videos. The clicking to move the camera feels a bit clunky and I feel like if you were to use this with the Oculus, you'd have to be standing up to the the full 360 degrees (unless you're an owl or something :p). This would be really cool with some very creative youtubers and a great experiment. Hopefully it'll pick up more popularity once the Oculus is released for retail sale instead of the creator version. Thought it was really cool though!

Once quality improves, it will be interesting to potentially see full hollywood movies in 360

AshleyAshes said:
On the Android YouTube app the gyroscope can be used, so the camera will pan to match the movements of your device as you rotate in place.

I tried it with my phone and it was much better and more entertaining. One issue I did encounter was when the were breaks where they edited the video, the calibration shifted some which became a bit annoying. But very impressive nonetheless.

millerjim said:
Once quality improves, it will be interesting to potentially see full hollywood movies in 360

I don't know if this should be used in Hollywood movies. It would be really cool but there would be a lot of things that would be missed in a 360 scene. If they did do something like this for movies, I think the Occlusion would be most suitable for it.

Still, this requires for the audience to move in order to see everything which most people just want to sit and relax when they watch something. I really like the 360 videos but I can't really see them being a big hit any time soon. Unless they already are, then I'm way off XD .

Last edited:
I can really see this taking off at live sports events. Imagine charging $4-$5 for a seat that had a live 360 view of the field/track with direction sensitive surround sound. Then, you wouldn't have to wait in traffic, stand in line, or combat the elements and have virtually the same viewing experience as if you were there. The stadium could sell the seat thousands of times without negatively impacting anybody.

Baxton said:
. Still, this requires for the audience to move in order to see everything which most people just want to sit and relax when they watch something. I really like the 360 videos but I can't really see them being a big hit any time soon. Unless they already are, then I'm way off XD .

I hadn't thought about this, but I agree. I think a good reason why 3-D TV didn't catch on was because viewers didn't want to wear the 3-D glasses. My daughter and son-in-law have a 3-D TV, and have the passive glasses, and it's sort of a nuisance wearing them, though it's cool to see a movie in 3-D.

dogboy said:
I hadn't thought about this, but I agree. I think a good reason why 3-D TV didn't catch on was because viewers didn't want to wear the 3-D glasses. My daughter and son-in-law have a 3-D TV, and have the passive glasses, and it's sort of a nuisance wearing them, though it's cool to see a movie in 3-D.

I know what ya mean. We have a 3D tv but we hardly use it. It's awesome to have because it even makes the non-3D movies into 3D versions but it just doesn't feel... natural? (I guess that's a way to put it) to the viewing experience. The glasses can sometimes be discomforting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back