Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Other
I just... have no clue how to figure out my sizes for anything! I could be wrong, but it seems so overwhelmingly more difficult to understand than male clothing sizing! (no, sadly, I'm not transitioning. I hope someday, but.... I don't know.... anyway, not the point of the topic. I just want some stuff to wear in the privacy of my room where no one will bother me) Dresses, skirts, pants, tops, cloth diapers, shoes/sandals, sleepers.... aaaaaahhhhhh! I wanna buy one or two things... or four or five.... but I don't know how to pick sizes for any of this stuff... :sweatdrop:

In male sizes...
- I normally wear large shirts, occasionally medium, but I prefer extra large to either one. Sometimes I like a silly XXL shirt that looks really, really big!
- My feet are.... uhm.... I guess..... about 11W. It makes finding shoes and sandals difficult sometimes. Sometimes I have to compromise for something a bit too big or a bit too small.
- I wear 34x30 pants, like jeans and stuff (reluctant to share, but necessary if I want useful advice). This size fits perfectly about 95% of the time.
- I'm about 190 pounds. (even more reluctant to share... but also necessary.)

I only have one XXL night gown that I didn't pick out myself. I don't want something tight, but this thing is pretty big... yet... in a way... it doesn't seem long enough. (I know some people try to squeeze into things that don't fit. I don't wanna do that) Also, in store is not an option, so I can't try anything on before buying. Online purchases only.

Aaaand.... if anyone wants to recommend anything adorable, I'd love that. But I mostly need lots of help with sizes! :eek!:

How big are you? Judging from your weight I'd guess you're somewhere above 5'7, hence most dresses are a bit too short. Just as you described.

Eitherway, it would be nice if you've got something to measure your bust, waist, and hip size.

Sizes chart:
Bust Size -> Waist Size -> Hips Size = Dress Size
40" - 41” -> 31” - 32" -> 42" - 43” = 14
42" - 43” -> 33” - 34" -> 44" - 45” = 16
44" - 45” -> 35" - 36" -> 46" - 47” = 18
46" - 47" -> 37" - 38” -> 48" - 49" = 20
48” - 49” -> 39" - 40" -> 50” - 51” = 22
50" - 51" -> 41" - 42” -> 52" - 53" = 24
52” - 53" -> 43" - 44" -> 54” - 55" = 26

Regarding your height: Most sizes are made for women that are between 5'4" and 5'7" in height. If you are taller than that, Looking for Tall sizes might be recommandable. Except if you don't mind that they're a bit too short.
My suggestion is choosing rather long dresses and/or tops, so it's not that much of an issue. If the overall style is not especially made so the bust/hips have to be exactly in place. High waisted usually gives a better torso illusion, if you want to go for this in particular.

nope, I'm like 6'0" or 6'1" .... and 34" I guess is... my waist?

How will i ever find clothes if I need so many measurements? I'm not buying custom made.... o_O

There are a few tape measures around... I dunno if those will work well enough

ShippoFox said:
34" I guess is... my waist?
US/UK size, probably yes.

How will i ever find clothes if I need so many measurements? I'm not buying custom made.... o_O
It sounds more complicated as it is *giggles*

Although you should keep in mind that's the reason why it's hard to find a dress that fits absolutely perfect. The same usually goes for a men's smoking. You can get one that fits, but usually it's never like one that's costum tailored.

I should've mentioned just measure your size and then go along with the highest value for a size. If you got a 34 waist, whereas your hips are probably the same or just a bit wider as a male, then 16 (Large) should fit. 18 (xlarge) would work too, but it'd be quite loose too, since you have to keep in mind that you lack typical female hip/bust to waist proportion.

But that's just what comes to mind right now. Perhaps someone has some useful tips about what you should look for regarding crossdressing.

Last edited:
ShippoFox said:
I just... have no clue how to figure out my sizes for anything! ...
Aaaand.... if anyone wants to recommend anything adorable, I'd love that. But I mostly need lots of help with sizes! :eek!:

My advice would be:

1. get yourself a measuring tape (1st thing ANYONE should buy before experimenting with their wardrobe)
2. get to know your own measurements (have no shame about this, you are the perfect size for you - also weight isn't that helpful since weight is distributed differently on people with different levels of T or E.)
3. get to know the measurement of your guy clothes and how they fit on your body - this will help you when you read a garment spec online and you try to imagine how it will fit on you.
4. buy garments from sites that tell you the sizing spec, not just a single size number like "4" - if you want to know a measurement don't be afraid to ask for it, lots of people do.

How to Get Your Body Measurements For Dummies!
gives some good directions on how to measure your body. It doesn't matter if you have a "male body" - just measure the in the same places and record your results.

I found the wikipedia article on sizing standards handy when starting out.

Every company has a slightly different sizing standard for it's garments, although these are often treated "more like guidelines than actual rules." It's generally possible to find size charts for most brands with a google search, e.g. The American Apparel sizing chart

A note on shoes: getting hold of feminine shoes for larger feet is a very expensive business. However the rise of Converse style canvas-rubber shoes into fashion has been a God-send for people like us: they are cheap, youthful, unisex, come in many colours, and go with any outfit either as a compliment or a fun counterpoint. For LG style tie the long white laces with big loops and fold down the tongue over the knot.

A note on sleeves: at 6' your arms are gonna be a major sticking point - they are for me and I'm 5'10. Long sleeves will be too short for you, so go for short sleeves or loose long sleeves you can roll up.

Do you have an idea for a look or style you want? Something like your profile pic - pinafore / jumper-dress with pink t-shirt and a cute plastic necklace would be both cute, cheap and easy to source I imagine.

I didnt think specific measurements would be such a big deal... I guess I was wrong. :sweatdrop:

That's my fursona's collar in my profile pic xD but yes, something like that would be good! Though I don't know for sure yet. Really anything that's cute and has short or long sleeves. (not counting the jumper/skirtalls, since I'd have a shirt under that) After figuring out a size... finding where to buy is the next problem... >.<

ShippoFox said:
I didnt think specific measurements would be such a big deal... I guess I was wrong. :sweatdrop:

That's my fursona's collar in my profile pic xD but yes, something like that would be good! Though I don't know for sure yet. Really anything that's cute and has short or long sleeves. (not counting the jumper/skirtalls, since I'd have a shirt under that) After figuring out a size... finding where to buy is the next problem... >.<

Ebay is good, at least in my experience - get things shipped to you under your initials rather than your full name to save blushes ;)

Specific measurements aren't a massive deal, but knowing your way around sizing will stop you buying stuff that doesn't fit.

I would be fine with Amazon as long as it's "shipped and sold by Amazon" ...? Doesn't it always come in a plain box with amazon all over it? Or, any merchant that promises discreet shipping. Still hard to find quite what I want. There are so many things I'd like, but the site has to have it, and I have to sort through everything else to find it.

One of my previous posts about sizing and terms - hope this gives direction and sense to your quest !

CROSS DRESSING 101 - Part 2.0

May I add one MOST IMPORTANT thing - USE a TAPE MEASURE !

Know your own measurements:

HEAD GEAR - (YMMV but generally men's are greater than size 7.1/4 - women's less than that point - smaller sizing leaves less crown room inside
the hat or cap beret etc.)
NECK/COLLAR - (exact circumference around neck - no slack)
CHEST/BUST - (distance from underarm sleeve to opposite underarm sleeve x 2 = chest)
SLEEVE LENGTH - (distance from shoulder seam to elbow or wrist)*
* Cap sleeves 2-4 inches/"T" Shirts 4-6/7 inches/Polo shirts equal or a tad longer/ 3/4 sleeves not common in men's wear/
{Ragland Sleeve long sleeve shirt with panel starting at neck band going down to just about the elbow
usually found in sweaters} - women's sleeves are generally shorter than mens)
EMPIRE WAIST - (roughly the elastic band at the bottom of a bra - 3-4 inches above navel)*
* use this for short baby dresses - waist does not inhibit changing diapers )
WAIST - (navel aka KILTED waist - standard kilts are 24 inches knee on floor to belly button)
LOW WAIST - (where your jeans fit best {Maybe?})
HIPS - (widest part of the gluteus maximus - men 2-4 inches below waist - women could be 10 inches unless you are KIM K or Nicki M then maybe 15+)
RISE - (distance from bottom crotch seam to the top of the front waist band)*
* unless wearing a gaff or compression undergear need more than 9 inches otherwise pubic zone exposure may be a problem YMMV
** also check that there is enough REAR RISE to prevent CRACK exposure
INSEAM - (distance from crotch bottom seam to hem of pants/trousers/capris/bermudas/shorts/short shorts)
CROTCH - (distance across the narrowest portion of a panty/diaper cover/swim wear - allow room for equipment containment)
HEM LENGTH - (used for skirts and dresses - distance from waist band to bottom of skirt hem - with dresses important to determine
whether the measurement is off the neck collar/shoulder seam/or where ever the point of measurement is taken - ask ???s to get
it right on)
THIGH - (circumference around the thigh in relation to the crotch bottom seam)
ANKLE - (have big ankles tight fitting pants may pose a problem getting past this point)
FOOTWEAR - (go to a big shoe store and request to use the Bannock measuring device - there is one each for men women and children
use the men's and then the women's noting the sizing numbers on the scale and then to know that the approximately conversion sizing
is I.E. for a men's 9.5 =s a women's 11. Go to the Payless shoe website and browse further for the conversion chart noting the sizing
for the USA UK and other international locations - Note also the WIDTH of the foot women's normally are a "B" "M" or perhaps a "C"
indicating a narrow foot {the Bannock device will give you this information} for men normally a "D" width or even wider "E" - heeled
(high heels) will give an exaggerated measurement trend lightly here LOL !)

There are a lot of features of how clothing fits when the material is stretchable
with material such as lycra. How the clothing fasten with buttons; zippers;
wrap over aprons using Velcro or straps like with kilts and even then some
requiring a belt to hold things in place. Having a ridged waist line with a
zipper closing limits the sizing but add an elastic panel and the sizing can very
well be variable to fit two or three sizes larger - but in reality will it look as
good as the original size ? With some clothing a tailor or seamstress can do
wonders by incorporating a dart (reducing size) or a pleated panel (increasing).
Then again the cost of such adjustments/alterations may not be
in your best interests - estimates and fantasy ideas are generally FREE but
the actual work and materials not !
Nothing holding Dreams back - dream on !

ShippoFox said:
There are so many things I'd like, but the site has to have it, and I have to sort through everything else to find it.

That's one of the things I dislike about shopping in a store - there are so many things that I like, how do I chose just the one or two items I can afford?

I also find it hard to shop on-line. Even when you have a specific item in mind, the on-line stores usually sell so many different sub-styles of the same thing that I have a great deal of trouble looking through everything to find the specific item I wanted.

welcome to a woman's world! Why do you think they shop so much?

hmm..... ethernet cables, clothing tape measure... I'm trying to think of everything I might need before i order stuff from amazon

Really it takes going to a thrift store (particularly a goodwill) and trying things on. Also when shopping for bottoms, it tends to be far easier. I can be confident anything I buy jeans wise in size 6 will fit. Undies size 7 will fit (29inch waist). Tops go all over the place, though, and they tend to be large or XL which is funny cause that's a small-med in men's sizing.

Find a buddy to go shopping with. Far easier.

trying things on is not an option, unfortunately. no one to shop with.

Eeek.... I dont have enough to order to get the tape measure from Amazon. It's an add on item. I'd also like to have enough for free shipping.

I saw a very cute Lolita dress for less than $40, but i didnt know if it would fit.... It's not there now. :( I should maybe have just ordered the largest size. Most of the other similar dresses are so much more expensive

ShippoFox said:
Eeek.... I dont have enough to order to get the tape measure from Amazon. It's an add on item. I'd also like to have enough for free shipping.
I saw a very cute Lolita dress for less than $40, but i didnt know if it would fit.... It's not there now. :( I should maybe have just ordered the largest size. Most of the other similar dresses are so much more expensive

An inexpensive solution to a tape measure - take a simple string and tie knots
in it at the critical measurements that you are i.e. WAIST HIPS and other
points. To measure where you need to tie the knot take a ruler or other device
with inch or centimeters to determine that point. Don't have one beg borrow
of whatever - visit a library or school supplies store a neighbor someone gotts
to have a measuring device free for a short time use.
You can take the string along shopping just like a tape measure.
Just remember what location the knots mean to you.
20 inches of string can determine a lot of territory. Flipped once you get a
double measurement of 40 inches (hopefully you don't need to flip it more than
once).

As for free shipping - you noted that a dress appears to have gotten away from
you - well if you did order it - would it have given you that free shipping ?
Often when I buy from a merchant and I want only a few things but don't
qualify for free shipping I will add another item or two to give me that free
shipping and then return the items that don't fit or are not wanted.
Not all dealers/sellers/ebay/catalog do this but then I don't bother with them
anyway. I do like ebay sellers with free shipping & handling but for the most
part the items that don't fit or for some reason or another did not work out
have to be sent back at the buyers (my) expense. So plan carefully in ordering
additional items just to get the free shipping and handling !

Learn how to master the system of mail order shopping and shipping !

Just make sure the string is not elastic!

Do you have a fabric store near you? Like Joanne Fabric? You might also try a dollar store. A supermarket may also have one.

I think this aluminum tape measure bends enough to work! I'm not sure if I'm measuring in the right spot though.... I got 38... but I wear size 34 in men's pants.... :confused:

Also, what are these lolita costume dresses on amazon? They look very cute, but would it fall apart the first time I wash it or something? Lots of things marketed as costumes aren't very durable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product//B013FG5S2A/ref=twister_dp_update?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Though I don't know if it would fit... it's a closer call...
I also don't know what kind of package it would show up in... but nothing I've ordered from Amazon has really had packaging that identifies what's inside, which is a good thing. If it even matters... I get the mail 6 out of 7 days.

Personally I think a cloth tape is a bit more accurate but the aluminum tape measure should be close enough. I would find the metal tape too cold to put around my waist and other areas.

Lolita costume dresses are very cute and there are a number for sale on Amazon and eBay. The cost can range from $20 to $300 and I expect that you get what you pay for. That is, the cheaper ones cannot take as much use as the more expensive ones. The only way to know for sure what the washing instructions are (if not listed on website) is to contact the seller directly.

In ordering from Amazon, if Amazon fulfills the order (that is the item is shipped from an Amazon warehouse) the box contents are not listed on the outside, only Amazon's logo (and address information). If Amazon acts only as a website/order taker, then you need to check with the seller. Many places will make an attempt for discrete shipping but many do not.

Well.... I did some measuring. I guess I should give up...? Nothing cute is ever going to fit! I'm approximately 40-42 waist and same for hips... at least that's what it says. That's not even close to my 34x30 jeans size.... :frown:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back