Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Universal bathrooms in schools

Default Universal bathrooms in schools

I saw this story on the news last night and thought I'd post it here. It's really nice to some institutions being so progressive.

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/transitioni...tion-1.2513957

Several local schools in Ottawa are converting some of the single use bathrooms into what they are calling 'universal bathrooms.' This means they can be used by anyone, but primarily they are for students who are transitioning or questioning their sexual identity. A number of students in transition have identified public washrooms as places where they most commonly encounter bullying and harassment. The goal is to accommodate the special needs of these students and ensure that everyone feels safe. Unfortunately, it also demonstrates that we still have a long way to go until people are fully accepted for who they are.

Yeah one of those things where I don't not like them being made but I sometimes feel annoyed that they have to be made at all. Yeah we really do have a long way to go for full acceptence of these things. It's especially sadenning to see such descrimination from the younger population because our future lies in the youths of today.

Doesn't it seem like a rather large expense to accommodate a minor issue for a very small number of people when many school districts are already in dire financial straits? Priorities, people, priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Doesn't it seem like a rather large expense to accommodate a minor issue for a very small number of people when many school districts are already in dire financial straits? Priorities, people, priorities.
    There's no expense at all.

The Ottawa Carleton District School Board says as it was looking at converting some washrooms to help with accessibility issues, it decided this was a good time to look at how it could also provide access to single stall bathrooms for children who may be questioning their sexual identity.
    They're simply changing the signage on the gendered accessibility bathrooms that they are already converting in the schools to be gender neutral. Those bathrooms are single occupant anyway. They'd be getting new signage anyway, now the new signage will just indicate that they are gender neutral. Frankly, it's always struck me as silly as to why single occupant bathrooms are gendered at all. You don't have a mens and a womens restroom, you just have TWO restrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyAshes View Post
    There's no expense at all.

They're simply changing the signage on the gendered accessibility bathrooms that they are already converting in the schools to be gender neutral. Those bathrooms are single occupant anyway. They'd be getting new signage anyway, now the new signage will just indicate that they are gender neutral. Frankly, it's always struck me as silly as to why single occupant bathrooms are gendered at all. You don't have a mens and a womens restroom, you just have TWO restrooms.
    My bad. Actually a good idea.

You do need the obviously recognizeable signage though. The stick figures are universally and easily recognized as indicating "bathroom", as opposed to "dean's office", "janitors closet", or "place where the closet monster lives <recalling Stifler and Jim's grandma>".

Semi offtopic rant... I hate places like Bass Proshops where the place is visually busy to begin with, then they get creative with the restroom signs too. Not good if you're desperate, or having a bifocal malfunction.

I think this is a good idea but I think it will take some time to see how it works. My fear, is that the bullies that were in the restrooms will just move to bully anyone who uses one of these restrooms. I guess it will be up to other students and faculty to make sure that doesn't happen.

You do need the obviously recognizeable signage though. The stick figures are universally and easily recognized as indicating "bathroom", as opposed to "dean's office", "janitors closet", or "place where the closet monster lives <recalling Stifler and Jim's grandma>".

Semi offtopic rant... I hate places like Bass Proshops where the place is visually busy to begin with, then they get creative with the restroom signs too. Not good if you're desperate, or having a bifocal malfunction.
    I agree, there is a reason the signage was standardized. Changing away from it is confusing and customized signs are just annoying when things become chaotic.

Quote Originally Posted by arcituthis View Post
    I agree, there is a reason the signage was standardized. Changing away from it is confusing and customized signs are just annoying when things become chaotic.
    Yes, you would need some team of graphics design super geniuses to come up a gender neutral way to indicate a public restroom.

Nope, wait a second, you totally wouldn't. It ain't rocket science, guys.

When I was a kid at school, they had to make a special bathroom for me. It had a picture of a dog on the door, so I could feel comfortable using that one. More seriously, when I worked as the accompanist at a 3200 member Methodist church, we had a camp on a lake and during the summer, we would take the choirs there for a week to get a head start on learning anthems for the year. We were short on bathrooms as it was a camp, so we made the bathroom for the adults at our dorm house uni sexual. It's surprising how well it worked out. People just announced they were in there. It actually brought us closer together. Oh....that didn't sound quite right.

I think the bigger problem for kids in school using a uni sexual bathroom is that it would still stigmatize them as being transgender rather than the sex they identify with. That said, I think it's a better solution than a biologically identified male who identifies as female, using the female bathroom. Kids aren't adults and I think they would lack the maturity to deal with two different genitalia using the same bathroom. Hell, even at my house, I use my own bathroom which has the sign, Toddlers Only!

I can't really understand why any single use bathroom shouldn't be gender neutral. I also think we should also be moving towards gender neutral bathrooms in general.

WTF is this ? ...OK, I think this civilization is really getting very stupid and comes to its death.