How often do you hang out with your parents after you have moved out?

How often do you hang out with your parents? (Anonymous)

• Once a day

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Multiple times a week

• Once a week

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Multiple times a month

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Once a month

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Multiple times a year

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Once a year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whenever I can travel there

• Pretty much just phone calls

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • We don't really associate

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyger

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
I'm curious about this, I always feel guilty because I don't do that much with my parents anymore, my interests and lifestyles have changed enough that sometimes it is hard to relate with them. I still go most Sundays to their house though and have dinner with them, which I feel like is a lot. What is the normal probably, especially when you live close to them?

Well i still live with my parents but when I move out I'd think probably every day for the first bit and then maybe every few days or every week. I've always been really attached to my parents even though I often don't feel they love me that much but I still get upset when they leave for extended periods of time.

I'm in a strange relationship with my parents. My mother and I aren't on speaking terms so we never associate. My father and I run a business together so if we go more than about 8 hours without talking something is wrong. Even then, we don't really do or talk about 'family stuff'. I also live with him but were closer to roommates than anything and have our own separate spaces and share expenses and the like.

It's kind of strange but 'hanging out with my father' fits into both categories of 'Once a day' and 'We don't really associate'.

Edit: I guess I was tired when I wrote this and didn't see "after you moved out" tagged on the end. anyhow, I don't think my response would have changed much.

Last edited:
I am estranged from my parents. I have not spoken to them since November of 2013 and I probably will never speak to them again in this lifetime.

Feeling guilty is normal. Normal sounds like kind of a stupid thing to be. I don't feel overly overly guilty about not seeing my parents a lot before they died, but I do regret some of the conversations that never happened. I have the old photo album from before I was born (yeah, they had cameras back then), but no one to provide the story behind the images.

I guess it's kinda age dependent, besides that every parent-child relationship is different so as often as it's acceptable to all the parties concerned, I'd say.
No need to feel guilty for just being different and not exactly finding something to spend time with together. Visiting once a week is pretty often. As long as you're fine with that, it's okay.

In general, when you typically moved out as a late teen, or even in your twenties it's probably pretty normal to visit them once a week. Whereas I think if you're getting older and try to start your own family, or have one and are kinda busy anyway, then it may cut down to the typical birthdays, easter, xmas and so on. So several times a year, except some surprise visits.
If there is no problem that may keep you from seeing them, whether it's being terribly busy, living a big distance apart, or actually having a serious reason to avoid them.

As far as our typical western culture works.
In other cultures, such as Italian, it’s normal for extended families to live under one roof anyway. They’ve done it for centuries and they’ve kind of keep this tradition. Since it can work obviously.

As long as both sides feel fine, so not overrun and annoyed or ignored if it's the other way around or keeping someone away from their own family/friends it's pretty much okay.

I usually tend to visit my mother once a week. Otherwise I couldn't taste her wonderful cakes and pies... or I'd need to bake them by myself... Well no, then I rather visit her. The cake is worth it. :)

Varies... sometimes I go several weeks, sometimes I see them every day for a week... depends on what's going on and such. I'm on good terms with my family, we go out to dinner/lunch a lot and we're big into watching movies/TV together. My mothers got bad knees/arthritis and such so my sister and I take turns mowing the lawn in summer/shovelling the driveway during winter and just general household stuff, so that also gets me over there quite frequently as well.

I moved across the country from my parents. We talk on the phone every few weeks. I've seen them in person maybe once a year for the past few years.

My parents are deceased.
Mom in 2008.
Dad in 2011.
Being profoundly mentally-ill for decades, my Mom and I had a stormy relationship with each other.
Not so with my Dad. Dad and I got along well with each other.

My parents are deceased as well, so I'll turn it around and say my wife and I probably see two of our kids once a month. The whole family is coming to our house this weekend to celebrates my wife's mother's birthday. She will be 94, and she's quite remarkable considering she flew from Florida to Virginia to be with us for a couple of weeks. Our other son and family lives a couple miles from us so we see them often.

My dad moved out of the country several years ago, so I haven't seen him since.

I live in the same town as my mother's side of the family though. I tend to see my mom about once a week. Sometimes less. Rarely more. For awhile I was seeing my grandparents about once a week as well, but that's died down quite a bit this year. We have different ideas of what an ideal visit is like. I generally prefer at night during the week. Like dinner out. They seem like to like doing things on the weekend (despite being wealthy and retired) that start in the afternoon and go on late in the evening. For me, being ridiculously introverted, that effectively takes up the entire day.

That being said, I see my family way more often than I see my friends >.< I mostly just prefer to be by myself. I actually live like a half mile at most away from an aunt, but we rarely ever see each other. (Helped her move some furniture yesterday actually.) She's a lot like me. We very much like each other, but very much like being alone.

I lived across the country from my parents last year. I'd call them once every few days to chat briefly, but I saw them in person only during the holidays. I'm living near them now and I go over for dinner once a week because my mom is a great cook.

I lived in the same town as my parents and I went over once a week for Sunday dinner. I would usually fall asleep afterwards. :) But I spoke with my mom on the phone several times a month and then there were always holidays. Good times!

When I moved out I would call Mom once a week. AS I was 70 miles away and on call a lot it was hard to get "home". I did make a point to see her at least once a month. As a widow the first question was did you bring your tools. There was always something to fix at the house.

After I was married we would see her about every two or three months. She and my wife got along great.

I see mine every three-four months, which is a lot less than I'd like :(

My parents are 87 now, (I'm 56), based in Florida and traveling the US of A in their motor-home. I live in New England and detest travel due to an excess of it growing up. Every spring for the last six years my parents say they are on their way up to see me, convince me to alter my summer plans to accommodate them and then never show up. It looks like I gave up my summer plans for nothing again.
I have awful parents!

When I was in college I flew up to visit my parents around 4 times per year, generally during Thanksgiving and Christmas, and at least once or twice during the summer for about a week each trip. Other times I traveled to visit relatives abroad which was in lieu of visiting parents. Now that I am no longer a student and about to enter the workforce it remains to be seen how often I will be able to visit them.

Recently at at least once a week. This is a concious effort after a few years of being distant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back