lilkayden

Genuine Little
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Little
Sorry for another Windows 10 thread but I felt it was more relevant to start a new topic than put it in the other 2 Windows 10 threads.

So i've had a change to use Windows 10 now for over a week. So far I haven't had any major issues with Windows 10 however I'm noticing some funky situations happening and i'm not sure why.

The first issue i'm having is that i'm noticing programs are randomly disappearing. No joke. For example I just reinstalled Teamviewer yesterday and after I restarted the computer I didn't notice till this morning that Teamviewer magically disappeared from my programs. Also some programs were magically uninstalled after upgrading such as my Avast antivirus and Java and Shockwave player.

The second issue i'm having or noticed is that the start>all apps menu does not list programs installed on other hard drives. If I install a program to my C drive it's fine but if I install a program to my D drive windows doesn't know that it exists.

I'm not really sure what is going on. Also i've been hearing of this strange permissions bug going around but that doesn't seem to be affecting me in this case. So ya have anyone else been having strange issues after upgrading to windows 10?

I'm still on Windows 2000 (yeah I know right?) and anyway, I might upgrade to windows 10 but there seems to be a lot of bugs going around. In my experience all windows versions don't really like programs being installed on other drives; Mac OS X is one of the only OS's I've used that is fine with it and doesn't come up with wierd bugs if you disconnect the drive. Yeah not too sure what to suggest.

lilaznboy said:
The first issue i'm having is that i'm noticing programs are randomly disappearing. No joke. For example I just reinstalled Teamviewer yesterday and after I restarted the computer I didn't notice till this morning that Teamviewer magically disappeared from my programs.

That is weeeeird! I've only tried the Win10 beta, but didn't have such problems. Are you sure the programs are completely disappearing/uninstalling? What do you mean when you say they have "disappeared from my programs"? Do you mean the programs in the start menu, or the "Program Files" folders, or the "Programs and Features" control panel applet...?

lilaznboy said:
Also some programs were magically uninstalled after upgrading such as my Avast antivirus and Java and Shockwave player.

I think the upgrade process requires some software (mainly antiviruses, and anti-malware software) to be uninstalled. Maybe it uninstalled the programs for you automatically...? You should just be able to reinstall them (although you may well need new versions of the software that are compatible with Windows 10).

I'd also look into whether you need Java or Shockwave. Java is a massive security vulnerability and not many programs or websites require it. I'd definitely consider removing it, or at least disabling any Java browser plugins. And even fewer sites require Shockwave -- I don't think I've come across a single one in the last five years! Might be worth uninstalling unless you're sure you need it. (You can always reinstall later). The same goes for Silverlight, if you have it.

lilaznboy said:
The second issue i'm having or noticed is that the start>all apps menu does not list programs installed on other hard drives. If I install a program to my C drive it's fine but if I install a program to my D drive windows doesn't know that it exists.

That's also strange. I've never had a problem installing stuff on different drives in Windows. I might just set up a VM to test that. It sounds like it might be related to the "disappearing programs" you mentioned above...? Could it be coincidence that some disappeared programs are on D: ...?

I'm not sure if it would help, but have you heard of Classic Shell? It's a free program that allows you to customise the start menu, to make it look like the one in Windows 7 or Windows XP, and loads of other tweaks. It might make it a bit easier to manage the shortcuts to your programs...?

http://www.classicshell.net/

So I found out the problem I'm having with the start menu. Apparently there is a cap for the amount of programs in the start menu. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/29/windows_10_bug_alert_start_menu_breaks_512_entries/
I apparently have 766 apps concluding to that command I ran in powershell.

I'm not sure what happened to teamviewer. It's find now. I also did a reindex of my system which somewhat fixed Cortana. She became dumb after windows update.... like she had a memory wipe or something... Cortana was not able to find programs.

The greatest upgrade to make any Windows computer work like it should

Bought a 27.5 inch iMac with dual displays that solved all my windows problems!

Tetra said:
The greatest upgrade to make any Windows computer work like it should

Bought a 27.5 inch iMac with dual displays that solved all my windows problems!
Then you have problems with games and other programs. That are not made for iMac. Ya good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back