Status
Not open for further replies.

nikthewerelion

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Incontinent
I recently saw my urologist, who is OK with my diaper use to manage my oab and bedwettings. I thought it would be wise to get a note saying I need to use the bathroom at least every 2 hrs while at work. I'm a grocery bagger and while I kinda have the freedom to use the bathroom whenever. Sometimes it's really busy and I can't alays just run to pee since is way at the other end of the store. HavING to do this 3,4 or 5 times a day makes me feel weird plus I do have random leaks from urge and bending, and at that points it's like why bother trying to get to the bathroom since I'm diapered anyways. Should I give my work this vague dr note and mention the oab and that I wear protection?

Personally - and this is just my opinion - it seems like it would be better to use the bathroom when you have the chance, and just use your diaper when it's busier and you can't get there. It's probably better to keep to yourself what's not absolutely necessary for your employer to know.

When I worked retail I often wore and used diapers. It's just easier that way, and no one ever said a word. Your doctor is aware, and there's no need to go to your boss. If your boss causes a problem, then you can refer your employer to your doctor. Otherwise, just keep it discreet and do what you need to do. No one should have a problem with it if you handle yourself in a mature way. Hydrate well so your pee doesn't stink. Change every 3-4 hours so your diaper doesn't smell. Discreetly dispose of your wet diaper in a plastic bag in the trash. Wear clothes that hide your diaper well. In other words, be mature and responsible and do the right things. Should your employer take issue, then send them to your doctor. However, I don't anticipate this would happen. To your employer, wearing diapers should be no different than wearing glasses or a wrist or knee brace. You are doing what you must to perform your job duties at your best.

I agree completely with the "discretion principle" above. There no advantage to disclosure if you don't need accommodation, and you open yourself to the possibility of discrimination. If you do need accommodation, then read up on the American's with Disabilities Act. Then ask, ever so demurely--and without reference to the ADA--for whatever you need.

If you can stay dry with a brief restroom break every two hours, then you can probably get it under the protections of the ADA. But if you are likely to have an accident anyway ("random leaks from urge and bending") then is it really worth disclosure? Personally, I just wear a good diaper and change at lunch time.

At one point I was very sick. It was obvious to everyone, and people kept asking about my health. I needed other accommodations, and my neurological issues were such that I couldn't always "release" when having unpredictable and incredibly painful bladder spasms. I needed leave to do intermittent catheterization. So I disclosed to my immediate supervisor. Otherwise I've never told a co-worker or superior. It's not really a secret; people close to me know. So if someone notices and asks, I'll tell them. But they don't ask, and I really don't think many of them know.

Get your self some good diapers like Dry 24/7's and change when needed, since you have random accidents and don't make it to the bathroom any ways why worry about it. My OAB releases when it wants to I some times gone to the bathroom went pee then to minutes late I would pee with out warning. Now I use my diaper 90% of the time As I get verry short warnings or none at all so now I just don't worry about it and stay diapered 24/7 except for #2 I still make it to the bathroom most times for that.

OK guys, thanks, I'll just keep doing what I do. I won't disclose anything at this point. I wear abena or dry 24/7, I usually change on my break or lunch if I have one. I'm sure some Co workers know as changing in the bathroom is not so quiet, and I've been been in there at the same time as Co workers I've worn from day 1 at my job and I've had this Job since may so I'm sure people think I need them. Nobody has said anything to me yet.

Last edited:
nikthewerelion said:
OK guys, thanks, I'll just keep doing what I do. I won't disclose anything at this point. I wear abena or dry 24/7, I usually change on my break or lunch if I have one. I'm sure some Co workers know as changing in the bathroom is not so quiet, and I've been been in there at the same time as Co workers I've worn from day 1 at my job and I've had this Job since may so I'm sure people think I need them. Nobody has said anything to me yet.
Providing a Dr.s not for a real or perceived disability is an option, but generally if it does not effect your job duties it only gives your employer "ammo" if they ever want to fire you for some reason.disclosure of a disability or disclosure of non recreational drugs taken is always a gamble. I have seen many cases where months or years afterwards a person is persecuted by the HR department.

For future refrence though if you want a new job sometimes disclosing a disability is a deal sealer because the potential employer can get tax write-off and such for hiring a person with a disability,so it's a sword that can cut both ways.

Yup I know cuz I'm visually impaired so I'm already disabled, I'm not gonna disclose my need of diapers unless it becomes an issue.

When I left the Fire depertment for compassionate ss disability I was stupid.

Did not believe I could fly a desk and be happy meanwhile I could have worked a desk and let my pension vest and had a better life,the stupid decisions we make oyy veah.

My advice would be to get them a diaper note simply saying that you need to have a "higher allowance of bathroom breaks to due medical issues that can come suddenly and unexpectedly"

Use the diaper when you can, but have that as the backup since you never know when you're going to get a diaper that just leaks on first wteting (it happens sometimes, rarely, but still does) or a tape pops that you need to go take care of, or something like that. Always good to have a backup option if possible.

Another thing to note. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act your employer is not entitled to know any information about your medical condition or it's cause or what-not. The only thing that they are legally entitled to know is what, if any "reasonable accomodation" needs to be made for you. You have every right to tell them it is none of your business if they ask about what the medical condition itself is. They are also not entitled to know that you wear diapers or need diapers, they only are entitled to know what accomodation needs to be made for you.

If your employer doesn't say anything about it I would keep quiet. They will let you know if they think this is a problem. But then be ready with the note from your Dr.
I worked with Thirty different supervisors over 45 years and only about ten ever knew about my incontinence or asked about it.
Like was said before you need to manage your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back