Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Public changing table

Question Public changing table

Have you ever wanted to try to use a baby changing table but were too afraid it would break? Have you tried it anyway? How did it go?

I'm pretty sure it would break for me, i'm 6'6" and 260 lbs. I will use it for my diaper bag though if it is available in my stall.

This is one of those fantasies that, while I have it, is something best kept to fantasy unless you can find a private changing table, like one inside the stall. And even then it's one of those things you should probably be careful with.

Yes! Every time I go into a public bathroom, I always look at them with longing. It's a fiddly mess to change cloth standing up while leaning against a wall, and I can't do it on the ground... But I wouldn't ever trust a baby changing table to support adult weight. Even if it was rated to do so. That sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Over in England, there are "Public" Changing Places for the disabled where the facilities have "adult sized changing tables" for totally incontinent handicapped adults can have their diapers changed by their caregivers in "complete privacy".

It is not everywhere yet in England, but the number of these 100% accessible "Public Changing Places" is growing, because of the certified need for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh! Here is the URL link regarding these 100% accessible toileting/diaper changing facilities for the disabled.

http://changing-places.org/

Quote Originally Posted by caitianx View Post
    Over in England, there are "Public" Changing Places for the disabled where the facilities have "adult sized changing tables" for totally incontinent handicapped adults can have their diapers changed by their caregivers in "complete privacy".

It is not everywhere yet in England, but the number of these 100% accessible "Public Changing Places" is growing, because of the certified need for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh! Here is the URL link regarding these 100% accessible toileting/diaper changing facilities for the disabled.

i believe there is a movement to try and get that here in the US too

Quote Originally Posted by Ally View Post
    Yes! Every time I go into a public bathroom, I always look at them with longing. It's a fiddly mess to change cloth standing up while leaning against a wall, and I can't do it on the ground... But I wouldn't ever trust a baby changing table to support adult weight. Even if it was rated to do so. That sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
    Many public bathrooms are disgusting, to say the least.
    The Men's Room off the street-level public food court in the MBTA Transportation Offices Building in Downtown Boston last Thursday when I was there to meet with the Boston Chapter of ADAPT was massively filthy and covered floor to ceiling in the handicapped-designated toilet stall with "very bad words and pictures".
    ARGH!!!!!
    I simply had to stand in my leg braces, and change myself that way, which is difficult for me, since I have Cerebral Palsy.

Many public bathrooms are disgusting, to say the least.
    The Men's Room off the street-level public food court in the MBTA Transportation Offices Building in Downtown Boston last Thursday when I was there to meet with the Boston Chapter of ADAPT was massively filthy and covered floor to ceiling in the handicapped-designated toilet stall with "very bad words and pictures".
    ARGH!!!!!
    I simply had to stand in my leg braces, and change myself that way, which is difficult for me, since I have Cerebral Palsy.
    Yes, this! I hate public restrooms so I'm never in them to see or not to see a changing table. That's not a question for me! If I was handicapped, I can't imagine sitting bare assed on a table that others also sat, since I'm sure the table would never get cleaned. I'm happy to do all my changing at home. Even at home, I used bleach cleaning agents to clean our three bathrooms. Take that, germs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Yes, this! I hate public restrooms so I'm never in them to see or not to see a changing table. That's not a question for me! If I was handicapped, I can't imagine sitting bare assed on a table that others also sat, since I'm sure the table would never get cleaned. I'm happy to do all my changing at home. Even at home, I used bleach cleaning agents to clean our three bathrooms. Take that, germs!!!
    Yes I agree with you I hated every time I go in one I end up cleaning the toilet with the antibacterial soap before I can use it .
    All the P all over the seat and make a mess like they do they need to be in diapers
    They can't seem use the bathroom right.
    Feel sorry for those that are handycapped and have no choice but to try to take care of them selves in the filthy
    Restrooms.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SilentlySpeaking View Post
    i believe there is a movement to try and get that here in the US too
    I sure hope those come out in the U.S soon. I can really use that actually. I'm 6'6" and weight 250 pounds and if I was to ever injure my knee again there's no way in hell I will even be able to change in even a handicap stall unless it had a table or was a ADA bathroom that may not even be there. I'm so huge that I can't even use the regular bathroom stalls standing up as it is simply due to a lack of room. I do use the table in a stall (if available) to put my backpack on and to keep it off the floor.