Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirmyboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
Hi Guys
I know I'm in the minority here but I find the really thick diapers very uncomfortable -- especially overnight and especially in summer.

In general, the thickness of the ABU Cushies seems pretty ideal. But I only have Bambinos on hand right now and I just can't take the heat in them. I picked up some Depends briefs, because, honestly, I find them very comfortable and wouldn't want anything thicker...if they worked.
How would you describe the Tena Slips? Are they much thicker than the Cushies?

I wind up wearing a diaper to bed for the comfy feeling and taking it off in the middle of sleeping because I get too hot. Does anyone else have this problem?

Aside from the sweating and discomfort, I am also concerned about the ambient temperatures down there. There's some research demonstrating long-term reduced fertility due to diaper wearing in infants...and I am sure the same is true of adults. Even worse, increasing the ambient temperatures could increase risk for testicular cancer.

Switching to cloth like is also an option, but who wants to do that? What do you do to stay cool?

Thanks!
Squirmy

There is certainly short term (male) fertility issues but I don't know of longer one.

I actually do use cloth from time to time (though plastic pants sort of obviate the advances). You might try some of the ones like the attends breathables. While the absorbant area is still impermeable, there are the ventilation in the sides.

willnotwill said:
There is certainly short term (male) fertility issues

Citation badly needed.

Fire2box said:
Citation badly needed.
Here's a link that shows the effects of heat on mice:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17474098

Here is a quote from a report on occupational stressors on fertility:
Source (PDF):http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.410.5826&rep=rep1&type=pdf
Heat
Active production of sperm requires a temperature about
3–4°C lower than normal body temperature. This fact is
supported by the decreased sperm count seen in pathologies
such as varicocele and cryptorchidism, as well as in cases
of prolonged sauna exposure and in paralyzed patients
restricted to wheelchairs39, 40). The effect of chronic
occupational exposure to high temperatures has been
examined, in addition to in the welding profession, in the
ceramics industry41). Impairment of spermatogenesis has
been found in a high prevalence among professional drivers,
as well42, 43). Velez de la Calle et al.44) investigated infertility
risk factors in a French military population and found heat
exposure as an independent risk factor for male infertility
(OR 4.5, 95%CI 1.9–10.6), using a multivariate analysis

I personally don't get uncomfortable from wearing a diaper in warm weather. The only time it's an issue is when the heat is generally uncomfortable anyway. I don't live in an area that gets unbearably hot too often though so YMMV.

Yeah summer is certainly not the optimal season for diapers. It's not fun to wake up with certain things sticking to certain other things. Eh... I need better air conditioning.

I recommend Tena Slip :) They are my favourite diaper when I need to go outside diapered. They don't show trough pants and are not too hot. Nappies will always be stuffy though, just use enough baby powder!
I use Tena Slip for sleeping, too. They are SUPER absorbant for their thickness!

for me, a little thin is better for regular daytime wear. snuggies (daytime) are perfect.

Tena slips are good, the tena basic was great but it is no longer available. I also recommend Molicare comfort plus. Very thin (thinner than Tena), but still functional. They have cloth like breathable wings/side panels with plastic in the center. They work well, hold 2 decent wettings or more, and aren't that expensive either.

bambinod said:
for me, a little thin is better for regular daytime wear. snuggies (daytime) are perfect.

I know I've disagreed with you a lot on the Total Dry Plusses, but I think you're right about the Snuggies. I wish they had an all white version in case of workplace peekage, but I guess you can't have everything. The price is right and they're pretty thin while still holding a fair amount.

Note said:
D: Thinner diaper? Are those two words even allowed to go together in this culture? (jk)

Tena Slips are very good, remarkably thin considering how well they bulk up when wet. If you're not worried about capacity and looks then most other generic pull-up and tape on brands should suffice for functionality.
Thinner diaper=Military Intelligence

Depends can be good for thinner, if not much usage is planed for them.
Tho I would prefer a cushie over a depends.

Have you tried to use a fan at night?
Maybe less covers, if you use them.

Tetra said:
Thinner diaper=Military Intelligence

You saying both of those words are a oxymoron? :p

Am I the only one still wearing Dry 24/7's? Only reaching 105F around here this summer.

Trevor said:
I know I've disagreed with you a lot on the Total Dry Plusses, but I think you're right about the Snuggies. I wish they had an all white version in case of workplace peekage, but I guess you can't have everything. The price is right and they're pretty thin while still holding a fair amount.

Actually, there IS a benefit from peekage. They are lower cut in the front and back, and I've found on a few occasions my shirt was untucked and I reached back and was surprised to find my snuggies wasn't peeking out from the back of my pants. (TDP would have for sure, by a few inches most likely)

Also... on another occasion of a "wardrobe malfunction" (shirt untucked again... arg, friday we have to wear the company logo shirt and they didn't have Tall when I got mine!) I was surprised again that while my snuggies WAS showing in the back, it was only an inch and the rear elastic made it look identical to the back elastic on white boxers!! The smooth white plastic of a diaper like the TDP that has no rear elastic is unmistakably a diaper, even at a distance.

Re: the fertilty thing-

A while ago (as a potential "donor" to a lesbian couple who wanted a kid) I looked into this. The best-known story on the Web is that diapers (especially disposable) might be correlated with infertility. The idea is that since the testes are designed to shrink and sag to regulate temperature, trapping your balls against your body could make them too warm for heathy sperm. Another story is that chemicals in disposable diapers are the cause. Another story is that the other stories are urban legends...

So, I managed to have the balls (pun intended) to ask my doctor. AND to tell her the sordid details of my habits (not merely into diaper,but in reality: usually ridiculously thickly diapered for very long periods of time. . .

To her credit, she had no immediate answer, said she would look into it. A day or so later, her answer was that "my habit" probably had no long-term consequences, but if I was planning on procreation I should avoid thick/long-term diapers (and hot-tubs) for 30 days before "contributing". Occasional casual diaper use probably had no effect on fertility.

TLDR: Just don't cook the shit out of your balls, and you'll be fine. If you wanna/gotta wear in high temps, leave some room so you balls can sag.

- - - Updated - - -

Re: best diaper to keep your nuts from overheating-

Least fav, but best bet: AIO PUL pull up or snap-on. (Translation: a pull-on or fitted cloth diaper with a sort-of-breathable, mostly-waterproof top layer).

Best cloth option: single-layer cloth under plastic pants. Will require frequent changes, and you shouldn't wear anything on top.

Tena Maxi (if you can find them) are probably the ultimate disposable for this- super light, super absorbent.

The Molicare "Comfort Super" are another great option, very light with totally breathable side panels.

My favorite diaper suggestion for you: https://www.abuniverse.com/Cloth-Backed-Cushies_p_46.html. Very comfy, you can put them on-take them off-put them back on again, very comfortable and functional

I just wear my Dependeco AIO without the doubler when I know it will be a warmer night. The secret to beating the heat is just wearing a lighter diaper.

I just got the 4 pack from Snuggies (2 regular Waddlers and 2 Waddlers Overnights). I'ma see how I like the normal ones for daytime. :)

I have a fan in my window and stay mostly cool. If I leak the bed pad can heat me up. During the day I tend to go a few minutes bare bottom under my skirt to allow breeze to get to my skin. In winter though, I need all the heat I can get. I'm glad my husband doesn't wear since I like his contribution to stay alive. I'm sure we'd manage if he did though.

Last edited:
I'm 60, so my fertility is no longer an issue :)

Jeremiah said:
Am I the only one still wearing Dry 24/7's? Only reaching 105F around here this summer.

Still wearing Dry 24/7's here to :) tried the Abena air plus for a few weeks but am now back in the Dry 24/7's 24 hours aday :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back