Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering...

Default Just wondering...

I am a 30 year old female adult baby and I have noticed that NOBODY bats an eye at me when they hear or see that I sleep with a Teddy bear (s) and stuffies. I always take one or two if they are small with me when I am in the hospital and all I have ever gotten are sincere compliments on how cute they are. I was just wondering if it is because I am a girl or what?? Any simular experiences????

Well, I kinda doubt anyone in a professional setting like a hospital is going to say something negative about it to the person, unless they're particularly rude. As for personal experience, I'm also female and if my memory is correct, I usually take a stuffed animal with me to the emergency room, and in the past have taken one to some doctor and dentist appointments. I can't recall any outright negative comments from the staff. At the dentist they told me they keep a teddy bear on hand for nervous kids :P

Absolutely. I have a medium-sized 6 inch stuffed animal I carry around with me for security. I cannot be outside without him. He helps me to cope with anxiety, and I find that I can fidget and play with him when I feel the need to stim. I don't make a special effort to be discreet, but I am also not trying to draw attention to myself.

The only comments I've ever (ever!) received were warm, playful. Someone saying how cute he IS. Where did I get him? A smile from an adult. Or a child asking if they could hold him. I feel that because I do not treat him as something secretive, people are more inclined to casually glance and dismiss this "oddity". Which is my goal.

For better or worse, us girls can get away with a lot more than men when it comes to being cute or juvenile. Especially if we are young or have a certain aura. And even if we do trip someone's "that's different" alarm, people aren't as likely to make the leap of "that's different and dangerous", like they may with a 6 foot, 250 pound man displaying similar behavior. And that is unfair, but it's what we have to work with.

As girls you can get away with it us guys cant sadly.

yes! all the time, i frequently have one while out and about and always when at the hospital I do think it is more acceptable socailly for females, they may also think you have a developmental disaolity too and or both

I think gender certainly does play a role in it. Girls have an inherent ability to do cute things in public without anyone really batting an eye (lucky...). For example, in the past when I've been on long distance field trips, almost all the girls brought stuffed animals and pillow pets with them for the bus ride. Or on the occasions when my high school had pajama day tons of girls would show up in footed PJ's. It was just expected. Try doing that as a guy and you'll probably have a pretty bad day. Consider it a blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by theQman View Post
    Or on the occasions when my high school had pajama day tons of girls would show up in footed PJ's. It was just expected. Try doing that as a guy and you'll probably have a pretty bad day. Consider it a blessing.
    Nah, I did that every pj day, I'd bring a teddy bear with me too. People just laughed and said "Niceeeeee." If you didn't treat it like a big deal, no one else would.

Women are able to get away with that more than men. It's just another societal thing that limits one gender. As a large 6'1" 260 lbs man, I just have to accept that someone like myself will have few chances to truly show off myself in a public setting. Really, I'm just limited to Halloween and being baby new year lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Chanch0 View Post
    Nah, I did that every pj day, I'd bring a teddy bear with me too. People just laughed and said "Niceeeeee." If you didn't treat it like a big deal, no one else would.
    Respect Maybe my school was just particularly judgemental then lol. I remember lots of guys did wear footed pj's and the anti-preppy kids would always roll their eyes and mutter any number of gay slurs behind their backs. Whatever, I thought they were adorable

these days it doesnt seem like that big a deal anymore. Society changes constantly for example same sex marriage being legalized so given enough time gender double-standards could be a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally View Post
    The only comments I've ever (ever!) received were warm, playful. Someone saying how cute he IS. Where did I get him? A smile from an adult. Or a child asking if they could hold him. I feel that because I do not treat him as something secretive, people are more inclined to casually glance and dismiss this "oddity". Which is my goal.
    I think this is key for mastery over people's interaction. If you have something out of the ordinary happening, act like it is ordinary, and people will act like it too, most of the time. It is most likely because you keep it in the open. A little while ago, I decided to fly in a plane with my stuffed tiger on my lap, and people who might have noticed, never commented, luckily nobody sat next to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally View Post
    For better or worse, us girls can get away with a lot more than men when it comes to being cute or juvenile. Especially if we are young or have a certain aura. And even if we do trip someone's "that's different" alarm, people aren't as likely to make the leap of "that's different and dangerous", like they may with a 6 foot, 250 pound man displaying similar behavior. And that is unfair, but it's what we have to work with.
    This is the other thing, I really thing this helps a lot. Unfortunately I don't have this luxury, being a guy, it is tough to get away with being an AB sometimes, and I'm a 6'6" 260 pound man, lol.