Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Election just called

Default Canadian Election just called

There's always talk about US politics on this forum, but rarely any discussion about Canadian politics. It's just the numbers of the membership I guess. I wanted to start a discussion about the Canadian political scene now that our Prime Minister has just called an election which will span eleven weeks (I'd hate to be volunteering for the whole thing!). Anyway, I just thought I'd throw this out here and see what people are feeling about the political parties and if there's any speculation on the outcome.

Just to start things off, I'm throwing in some of my recent rants with friends. Feel free to comment on them or start your own rant for discussion. Remember, we're Canadians, so let's keep it respectful.

Rant 1
    It amazes me that people see Harper and his team as responsible 'fiscal managers' when they have been spending like drunken sailors in a bid to buy votes, with more money being given to ridings right up until the day of the election call.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...ttawa-projects

Here in Ottawa, Pierre Poillievere just gave $120,000 for a dehumidification system at the Jewish Community Centre. Then it was off to Manotick, to give $880,000 to renovate an arena.

We also got $1.5 million from Health Minister Ambrose for CHEO to develop a mobile app so women can make 'healthy choices’ during a pregnancy.

The city of Ottawa has received six funding announcements in five days. According to Pollievre, these announcements are not political and the timing is just a coincidence coming so close to a election. Umm, sure.

Federally, the Conservatives just added millions to their childcare benefit and sent out retroactive cheques to families just in time for the election call.

In the past week, the Conservatives have also announced close to 4 billion in communities across the country since Monday. Probably just a coincidence, too.

Rant 2
    I really believe it is an abuse of power to call an eleven week election. Harper is doing this for his own political advantage. Campaign spending for parties is capped at approximately 24 million per party during a standard 37 day campaign. When Harper passed the “Fair” Elections Act, it included a little known clause that the amount could be increased for each day the campaign is extended. Since the Conservatives have more campaign revenue than the Liberals and NDP combined, the extended campaign will allow the Conservatives to spend all the money in their war chest, and outspend the opposition parties. The other problem is that taxpayers will have to pay for Harper's political strategy to get himself re-elected The extended campaign will cost 162 million dollars which will be paid for by Canadians (Canadian Taxpayers Federation). It will also cost taxpayers more since each party receives a rebate of the campaign costs which is also paid for by taxpayers. In short, taxpayers will have to pay for the Conservative's strategy to win the election.

Rant 3
    As the election goes on (and on and on!)and there is less certainty of a Conservative government, Harper will invoke the fear of a coalition government and that the only thing that can stop such a hellish nightmare is a majority Conservative government. What rubbish! In a multi party system, coalition governments are common around the world. After four years of Harper rule, we tend to forget the number of minority governments that were previously delivered to us through the current first-past-the-post-system. These governments barely last a year or so, and they keep all parties in perpetual campaign mode without accomplishing much of substance.

What is really undemocratic is the first-past-the-post system we currently have which allows a government to win a majority dictatorship while only receiving forty per cent of the vote, thereby allowing the leader to impose his will on the sixty per cent who didn’t vote for him. I believe that coalition governments would be more representative of the population because they involve compromise of all parties and can better represent the views of the greater majority. Both Trudeau and Harper make me sick with their fear mongering of coalitions and demonstrate a poor understanding of the electoral process, the constitution, and the role of MP's in forming a government.

Harper actually benefited from the threat of the coalition in 2008. After proroguing Parliament to save his own skin and avoid the budget vote that would have lead to a coalition, Harper came back in January 2009 with a budget that included his "Action Plan” for the economy, a multi-year plan for infrastructure spending designed to create jobs during the global recession.. This met the demands of the Liberals. As a result, the budget was passed with the support of the Liberals and the talk of a coalition died. (I won't mention the millions of dollars spent by the government to promote themselves with their action plan!). Now as we head into an election, Harper is taking the credit for stimulus spending as if it was a Conservative initiative. Talk about revisionist history.

Rant 4
    Trudeau should be fun to watch. Out of the three leaders, I would vote him as 'most likely to flame out in the middle of a campaign.’ He's had so any gaffes in the past several years it amazes me that people would think the guy has half a brain. Nor has he taken a strong stand on foreign policy or the economy. His wishy washy opposition of BillC-51 while at the same time supporting it, is a prime example of this. On the other hand, if expectations are low for him going into the debates, then all he has to do is turn in a mediocre performance that is relatively gaffe-free and he will have surpassed people's expectations and may yet rise again in the polls.

These are just some of my thoughts. What are yours?
    Last edited by Starrunner; 03-Aug-2015 at 03:29.

Let the games begin or should that read let the side show begin. Ans that's all I have to say.

Your politicians are just as bad as my Uk conservative & Labour party for sweeting voters !

for me it about the economy and how the conservative are trying to say were are not in a recession even though it only a mild one it still a recession. and I haven't really heard any long term plan from them. I expect the next Ottawa 2015 budget to show a deficit

All I have to say is that I absolutely cannot stand Harper. I have never liked him, never will. When he pushed Bill C-51 through Parliament he lost any sense of credibility in my eyes. Trudeau has ridiculous policies that make absolutely no sense, to his "opposition" of Bill C-51 then turns around and votes for the Bill to be passed. He's flaky and for once I agree with the god awful conservative attack ads, he's not ready for Parliament. Maybe in 10 or 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    We also got $1.5 million from Health Minister Ambrose for CHEO to develop a mobile app so women can make 'healthy choices’ during a pregnancy.
    I really don't see an issue in spending money on research and constructing an app to assist pregnant women with their pre-natal care. Spending like this translate into savings elsewhere in the healthcare system. You'd basically have to hate pregnant women and babies to think that such a small expense for something that can be deployed nationally is a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyAshes View Post
    I really don't see an issue in spending money on research and constructing an app to assist pregnant women with their pre-natal care. Spending like this translate into savings elsewhere in the healthcare system. You'd basically have to hate pregnant women and babies to think that such a small expense for something that can be deployed nationally is a bad thing.
    I don't mind the app, it's just the fact that it's coming from a Conservative government trying to pretend it supports women in order to buy their votes. Anything from this Conservative government that purports to support women I suspect to be disingenuous and self serving to get re-elected. Harper and his team have voted against a National Strategy to End Violence Against Women, cancelled the Court Challenges Program which helped disadvantaged groups, primarily women in test litigation cases, cancelled a National Daycare contract and replaced it with miniscule payments to families (which they raised just in time for an election). My cynicism is based on the fact that this government has shown itself to be anti-women, and it has provided no actual help to the real issues facing women. Coming up with a cheap app now doesn't make up for the damage and hardship this government has caused women.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 03-Aug-2015 at 01:07.

Stay on-topic, please. Arguing about phones, technology, and such really isn't the topic here.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    I don't mind the app, it's just the fact that it's coming from a Conservative government trying to pretend it supports women in order to buy their votes. Anything from this Conservative government that purports to support women I suspect to be disingenuous and self serving to get re-elected. Harper and his team have voted against a National Strategy to End Violence Against Women, cancelled the Court Challenges Program which helped disadvantaged groups, primarily women in test litigation cases, cancelled a National Daycare contract and replaced it with miniscule payments to families (which they raised just in time for an election). My cynicism is based on the fact that this government has shown itself to be anti-women, and it has provided no actual help to the real issues facing women. Coming up with a cheap app now doesn't make up for the damage and hardship this government has caused women.
    It seems strange to be opposed to something the government did, just because you don't like the particular party that enacted it. Shouldn't you be opposed to specific actions of government rather than painting them all with one brush just because which party took the action?

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyAshes View Post
    It seems strange to be opposed to something the government did, just because you don't like the particular party that enacted it. Shouldn't you be opposed to specific actions of government rather than painting them all with one brush just because which party took the action?
    I will explain this again, for the last time, I am not opposed to any government's efforts in supporting women. I am, however, opposed to the hypocrisy of a government that has consistently worked against the interests and rights of women over the past nine years, and now attempts to buy their vote by throwing a few dollars at them for a cheap app..

In its nine years of power, the Harper Government has:

-cancelled the Universal Daycare Program

-cut funding to the Status of Women

-eliminated the Court Challenges Program

-introduced the Public Sector Equitable Compensation Act, which emptied the right for pay equity

-left abortion out of Canada's G8 maternal health funding

- Voted against a National Strategy to End Violence Against Women

-Appointed fewer women to cabinet than previous governments

-The party is overwhelmingly anti-abortion and several of its caucus members have attempted to bring in private member's bills widely viewed as a 'backdoor' attempt to bring in new laws to curtail abortion rights.

I think everyone on this forum who knows me knows that I am a feminist and that I have supported women and opposed the Conservative agenda to set back women's rights while they cut women's advocacy programs and implemented legislation that removed their rights.

After nine years of this government, I find it sickening to hear them talking about 'healthy choices' for women, and hypocritical to see them throwing a few measly dollars at them for a cheap app simply to buy votes so close to election time.. Women are smarter than that and will not be manipulated by Harper and his government. If they gave a damn about women's health, the government would reverse the cuts and the damage they have done over the last nine years and stop marginalizing women with their anti-woman agenda..
    Last edited by Starrunner; 03-Aug-2015 at 22:52.