Windows 10 upgrade error fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Little
This is a fix for 80240020 error. This is the error I encountered.

This error means one of the download files is corrupted.

solution:

1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 will start downloading again.

The deleting of the files will not damage your operating system!

Here is the source to the solution

Hope this helps and saves some time searching Google.

mine downloaded ok and working fine :biggrin:

Last edited:
I had to use the method twice, the first time the upgrade failed on the installation prep.

did the same method again and it worked fine.

i did not change the language.

I advice that people to do the custom installation.

Mine still says it's not ready :/

Baxton said:
Mine still says it's not ready :/

when you install windows 10 chose the custom set up and not the express. The express set up will have all the data sending options on. With the custom setup you can disable them.

TonyTonyChopper said:
when you install windows 10 chose the custom set up and not the express. The express set up will have all the data sending options on. With the custom setup you can disable them.

Okay! Thanks for the tip!

Be careful when upgrading. The upgrade caused my computer to blue screen on start up. I had to do a clean install of windows 10 via USB.

Well that's really scary. I'll just wait it out then. Hopefully they'll fix their bugs.

kinda feels like we're their test subjects on these. You'd think they'd find these major issues like these during their test runs.

Last edited:
So far I have yet to encounter any errors when upgrading. I've upgraded 6 computers to windows 10. That being said if you're trying to upgrade an older computer or computers with specialized hardware, I could imaging there being driver problems. The oldest computer that i've upgraded so far was my desktop which I didn't have any driver problems. My desktop was built in 2009, I7 920 processor, x55 chipset mobo, and a nvidia 570 gtx. I upgraded 1 computer via windows updates and the rest i've upgraded by usb stick. I was expecting my kinect to not work after the upgrade, however that was not the case. I use my 360 kinect as my webcam for skype and it's still working :)

I did find a feature to rollback to the previous os after install. It says it will give me 1 months time before I can't anymore. It was located under Settings>Update & Security>Recovery

The first thing I did after upgrading my desktop was turn off all the sync features because it synced all my preferences from my laptop after I signed in with my microsoft id >.< I didn't loose anything but I don't want my desktop to sync with anything, including one drive...

Anyways... for me this transition to windows 10 has been pretty seamless for me. Kudos to Microsoft for doing something somewhat right... I still find some setting either missing or clunky though... I guess that's a good thing they kept the feedback feature from the insider build... Then again the official release was the last provided insider build anyways xD, Build 10240

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back