Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I finally did it... I came out.

Default I finally did it... I came out.

I just came out of the closet a little bit ago on Facebook. I stared at the Post button for like 10 minutes before my finger would click it lol. Here's the message.

"I know I'm going to get some backlash for this, but here goes.

I'm transgender. Simply put, that means that I'm actually a girl inside a boy's body. I've been like this for as long as I can remember, even though I didn't know this was a thing until I was 13. Looking back, I can remember so many things from when I was a kid that backs this up, from wanting to wear Easter dresses like the girls in church, to feeling out-of-place in the boys' locker room when we started wearing uniforms, to making a comic about a world where gender roles were suddenly reversed. I often fantasized about being in that world. And that's only a small number of things I remember.

I am still Christian, though. I don't know if God made me this way or not, but I do know that He's trying to use this for some sort of plan. The suicide rate for transgenders is 31% (and 50% of transgenders attempt it before they're 20), higher than any other group in the world. I want to show other transgender people that they can still be loved, even by Christians, and that they are worth something. I want to reach out to every other transgender person to help them avoid suicide. How I'm going to do that, I'm still not sure, but I'll think of something.

That being said, I have not attempted suicide. I have thought about it many times, though, which is why I want to help others. It's scary being in a place where suicide looks like the only way out. One of the reasons I'm still here is because of my faith in God. It's my belief that He'll make things better in the end that keeps me going.

Some of you already know all of this. Most of you who know have been so supportive of me, and made me feel loved even when I didn't love myself. You made me feel like I was actually allowed to be myself. You're also part of the reason I'm still alive. Thank you.

I'm telling the rest of you because I'm sick of hiding. I'm sick of pretending to be someone I'm not. Some of you might think that sounds hypocritical, but you don't realize just how much I have to focus on not revealing who I really am when I'm around you. Apparently I'm not very good at it, though, because a lot of people think I'm gay when they first meet me.

If you're in denial about this, think back to when I was a kid. Were there any moments when you thought, “He's not like the other boys”? I can remember several.

That's all I have to say for now. Thank you for reading."

So far, the comments have been positive. But, they're from people who I knew would take it well. I'm still concerned about the "iffy" people...

As someone who is also transgender, I applaud you for that first step. It takes a lot of guts to come out with that like you have and I hope that life brings you happiness and that you can become comfortable just being YOU.

Don't worry about the "iffy" people. Your happiness and being comfy with who you are is YOUR life, not theirs to nitpick. So often, people like that are jealous of another's bravery.

Your real friends will support you, and that's how it should be. I think you've chosen a relatively decent time to come out as there are so many more positive things being said in the media concerning being transgender. Perhaps "I Am Cait" will be helpful for a lot of transgender people. People tend to fear things they don't understand, and now people are gaining a lot of information, and for the first time, it's turning positive.

I applaud your courage and wish you good things. With something this important, it can be necessary to be one's self, otherwise, it's possible to live with sadness for a long, long time.

That seems an extremely hard thing to do, I admire you for being so brave.

I am not trying to derail the thread but you might want to delete some of those periods in the title:

Congrats! Sounds great. I have not been in your place sexually. But being a woman and feeling called to be a pastor since I was a kid made being a boy very appealing. In the end I have too much fun in Easter dresses to get serious about it though. I doubt I will ever have to come out on Facebook as DL. Nobody's business i suppose. I would certainly do it if I could save lives. I think I'll take another path of service though.

Holy crap... I was not expecting this. My dad actually came downstairs, gave me a hug, and said, "I love you, hear me? I'm proud of you for standing up for your beliefs. I just want you to be happy. And alive. I love you."

Wow. Posting this to Facebook is without a doubt the best thing I have ever done. Ever.

Oh, and I threw away all of my boy underwear and bought panties. And bras. And a shirt. And a pair of shorts. Lol my poor bank account

Quote Originally Posted by BabyPandora View Post
    Holy crap... I was not expecting this. My dad actually came downstairs, gave me a hug, and said, "I love you, hear me? I'm proud of you for standing up for your beliefs. I just want you to be happy. And alive. I love you."

Wow. Posting this to Facebook is without a doubt the best thing I have ever done. Ever.

Oh, and I threw away all of my boy underwear and bought panties. And bras. And a shirt. And a pair of shorts. Lol my poor bank account
    Wow, what a great dad. When my parents learned I was gay, they sent me to a psychiatrist at a residential mental facility, but that was back in 1970, when people thought homosexuality was a mental illness, and it was illegal to practice! To be accepted by others can be a moving experience because it's liberating. When some politicians talk about giving us back Liberty and Freedom, I wonder if they know how we see those words?

I know how hard it was for you, i am proud of you for coming out, it was hard for me , but i made it, just remember be who you are and stand proud. we are the future next sex and the world had to accept that there has to be a place for the third gender, ..Amy