Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolphin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Short documentary on cloth diapering in the 50's. Does this bring back memories to anyone?

[video=youtube;-ZuO8hrRo54]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZuO8hrRo54[/video]

Well, this was certainly before my time, however, when they mentioned being able to buy cloth diapers at the grocery store... I remember seeing cloth diapers for sale at the grocery stores in my area until the mid 80s. Yep, pretty amazing. :)

Thanks for posting!

I saw this on You Tube great commentary. As far as memories, some would find this hard to believe, but I can actually remember my 2nd birthday party(Oct. 1960); yellow highchair, big chocolate cake with 2 candles. I can even remember my mom changing me on the floor after ripping open present packages, which is the funnest part of the presents for a toddler. Too bad that I pooped and had to have the fun interrupted.

Very nice. I like where she said cloth is more comfortable.

They are more comfortable, very soft. freshly cleaned diapers are wonderful if you take good care of them. I'm actually considering trying pre folds just to see how they are with the pins and all.

Prefolds work very nicely. The main issue is that they will be bulky when sized for an adult, so it would probably be better to wear them overnight. If you wish to have one on strictly for comfort, just take a toddler sized prefold and insert in regular briefs, as if it were a pad. A cloth diaper will breath, so it can be worn all day as long as incontinence is not factored in, mitigating the need for a cover. The primary reason disposables are used for both adults and infants, is that they are very discrete and easy to dispose of. Look at any full-dressed 18 month old, and you will not notice any bulk, because the diaper is so extremely thin.

I bed wet so pre folds would work great for me. I generally don't wear during the day.

I wear cloth prefolds at night with a booster. There nice and comfy. In the morning I wake up soaked.

I use toddler ones. I don't pin them so they just lay there soaking up everything and making any cheap disposable feel like it is top quality.

My parents used cloth and disposable for me and my brother in the 1970's
but their are some stores that cloth diapers for those people that feel disposable diapers are bad for the enviroment

I was buying cloth baby diapers and Gerber plastic pants well into the 21st century. They sold them in places like K-mart and the larger drugstore chains. I have seen them recently at Toys R Us in the infant section. But it's not like the '50s and '60s when you'd see them in lots of stores. There were a variety of plastic pants, some in different colors and of course, the rumba panties for little girls. How I drooled over all those diapers when I was a little kid, going shopping with my mom.

I have been considering getting a cloth diaper or two, i really want one but worry about the expence

SilentlySpeaking said:
I have been considering getting a cloth diaper or two, i really want one but worry about the expence

The most economical choice for a cloth diaper is a flour sack cloth towel. This was mentioned in the video towards the end. These towels can be purchased on the net for about a couple of dollars each. They are the closest I found that compares to the Curity cloth diapers of the 1950s to the 1980s.

dogboy said:
I was buying cloth baby diapers and Gerber plastic pants well into the 21st century. They sold them in places like K-mart and the larger drugstore chains. I have seen them recently at Toys R Us in the infant section. But it's not like the '50s and '60s when you'd see them in lots of stores. There were a variety of plastic pants, some in different colors and of course, the rumba panties for little girls. How I drooled over all those diapers when I was a little kid, going shopping with my mom.
Yes I was a cloth diaper kid too.
Even when mom cloth diapered me at 6 or 7 that was in 1966 or 1967 the plastic pants were playtex toddler boy did they have a smell to them.I was a small kid fit into toddler stuff.
I remember looking for plastic pants to fit me as I was older all kinds like you Dogboy.
Do you remember the super babypants they sold boy they were big fit me at 12 years old a little tite on legs.
Yes I wanted one's that fit right and still do lol.
And the baby pants were very big on babys poofy looking the only one's not so much were snap on ones.
Cloth diapers were easy to buy every were.
You had cute diaper pins too ducky pins and think there were clown ones too oh yeah bunny ones.
Those were the days.
On hot days we ran around in just our diapers and baby pants at all ages if we were diapered.

Oh man, I'm a 90's kid but I was definitely cloth diapered, too!
I have no recollection of this since I was potty trained veeeeery early. Nowadays I prefer disposables though :O

foxkits said:
Yes I was a cloth diaper kid too.
Even when mom cloth diapered me at 6 or 7 that was in 1966 or 1967 the plastic pants were playtex toddler boy did they have a smell to them.I was a small kid fit into toddler stuff.
I remember looking for plastic pants to fit me as I was older all kinds like you Dogboy.
Do you remember the super babypants they sold boy they were big fit me at 12 years old a little tite on legs.
Yes I wanted one's that fit right and still do lol.
And the baby pants were very big on babys poofy looking the only one's not so much were snap on ones.
Cloth diapers were easy to buy every were.
You had cute diaper pins too ducky pins and think there were clown ones too oh yeah bunny ones.
Those were the days.
On hot days we ran around in just our diapers and baby pants at all ages if we were diapered.

I still have an old pair of ducky diaper pins. I had almost forgotten the snap plastic pants. Those turned me on when I was a kid. I so wanted to be back into cloth diapers and plastic pants. And Hah! Now I am, so there are some perks to being an adult.

My first pair of plastic pants as an adult was 2 Playtex snap on plastic pants sown together. They were a bit tight but there was no internet in the 70s where you could buy plastic pants like you can now. I didn't think to look at Sears though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back