Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Appeal of Donald Trump

Default The Appeal of Donald Trump

The appeal of Donald Trump... Where does it come from? Who are the people that support him?

Full disclosure: I am not American, I am a Canadian whose country borders on the north of the US. Politically, I would probably consider myself to be somewhat left of centre (although some of my friends keep telling me that I'm nowhere near as left as I like to think I am!). Being so close to the US, I tend to follow American politics since our close proximity has such an impact on both countries, particularly through trade policies. But enough about me!

I was hoping someone could help me understand the allure of Donald Trump as a presidential candidate. Recent polls have shown he has taken a commanding lead over the other candidates. After hearing so many of his comments, it's difficult for me to understand that he could be so popular or that he could be a serious contender. The media, John McCain, even his own mother have all dismissed him as a lunatic.

I found some of his recent comments to be horrendous, and in Canada, I think they would have sealed his fate or forced him to resign. In the US, however, his most outrageous statements have just made him more popular in the polls. Will this be a lasting trend or is he just providing entertainment until the time the primaries roll around in 2016? Is it because the real contenders have not yet declared their candidacies?

Here are some recent Trump gems:

"The concept of global warming was created by the Chinese to make the US non-competitive."

"I will build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me,, believe me, and I'll build them very expensively. I will build a great, great wall on the southern border and I'll make Mexico pay for it. Mark my words."

"When Mexico sends its people they're not sending their best. They're not sending you, they're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're bringing rapists."

"You know, it doesn't really matter what the media write as long as you've got a young and beautiful piece of ass."

"Laziness is a trait in Blacks... Black guys counting my money. I hate it."

"The only kind of people I want counting my money are little short guys that wear yarmulkes every day."

"He (John McCain) was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren't captured."

You can probably add your own quote to this long and growing list. There's many more of them out there.

In spite of these train wreck statements, a recent poll showed Trump in the lead with 24% support of Republican supporters. His closest rival, Scott Walker received 13% with Jeb Bush trailing in third place at 12%. How does this happen?

Questions to consider:
    Does Trump represent the silent majority of the Republican party? Are they just sick of business as usual and now looking for a 'straight shooter' who speaks his mind? Are people looking for an 'anti politician?' Would Trump's entry into the nomination race not just send more moderate Republicans over to the Democrats because they don't wish to be associated with such vitriol? Is Trump's campaign a gift to the Democrats? Is the media and reality television influencing our lives, with celebrities becoming our leaders and spokespeople for our causes (For example, Caitlyn Jenner representing the trans population with a new reality show and a big contract)?

As an outsider, I think there is a segment of the American population that is interminably angry, even more so during the time the Democrats are in power. They feel the government doesn't represent them, and they rally when someone like Trump comes forward. I still suspect that these people will not have enough clout to secure Trump's nomination. Even Republicans are realizing there is not much sense in pursuing divisive battles against same sex marriages or firing up the abortion debate, after losing badly in the legal courts as well as the court of public opinion. Divisive, inflammatory and racist politics do not win elections.Yet here comes a candidate who his not afraid to spew his racist venom and divide the country.

On the other hand, people were dismissive of Reagan in the early 1980's, an actor who made bad movies and got his facts wrong. At least Reagan served as a California Governor, whereas Trump has no experience to speak of whatsoever.

As much as I think that Trump is loud, obnoxious and divisive, I'd also have to acknowledge that someone in his position must be smart and that he didn't achieve his level of fame and wealth by being stupid. I'm sure he's not too worried about the opinions of someone like me,, who has found a lifetime of rewards and meaningful work in the non profit sector. Gasp!

I'm not looking for a huge debate on this topic, I sincerely just want someone to explain to me the reasons and rationale of supporting Trump and how his candidacy would benefit the Republican party.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 27-Jul-2015 at 09:30.

It's a republican plot. Having an insane, evil bigot as a possible contender for the presidency will give the rest of the republicans the opportunity to appear wise and saintly. When the republicans completely discredit and reject Trump the rest of the country will breath a sigh of relief, and it is only natural that some people will begin to think 'maybe the republicans aren't so bad after all'.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    As much as I think that Trump is loud, obnoxious and divisive....
    well, a trump is a fart

if he was Prez, the US would be the laughing-stock of the world.
    GO FOR IT!!!!

I think he has the exact same appeal that Ross Perot had back in 1996 (I hope I spelled his name right and that is the year)

He has the sound bites that the "common" person is thinking.

The problem I see is that he would run this country like a business. That is a great Idea, but with the current political structure it will never work. HE would never get any of the legislation he needs passed, and the government would become less functional/ more dysfunctional then it already is.

According to all the news-people I've heard talk about this(Literally all I hear about is Trump, Trump, Trump from my step-dad's TV), he's a source of entertainment to the American population. The Republican party actually has told him to tone it down, and he's responded by putting their cell phone numbers public and bashing the other candidates. There are some people who like him, but a lot of people don't. Also, if he's rejected from the republican nominations he stated he would go independent, which is really bad for his own party.

Although I agree with him on a few issues. Like the need to stop dismantling our military and taking care of our veterans... He is really out there. How our government works, the president does only have so much power. He is more a representative than anything. Look at Obuma! I am all for a Commander in Chief that will take care of our military and Middle Class, I don't feel Trump is the best candidate. He seems wishy washy. Then again I'm from Ohio and our Governor of Cincinnati was once Jerry Springer and Ronald Reagan was a movie star before becoming president. It's happened before so he may have a decent chance.

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    well, a trump is a fart

if he was Prez, the US would be the laughing-stock of the world.
    GO FOR IT!!!!
    Aren't we already, I kinda thought we were, anyway I can kinda see both sides of this really, For one thing, yes he is a businessman, and he is a celebrity, and knows how to make a profit, another thing is he has the same sanitity levels, as the people in congress, and 90% of Hollywood. Also, he disregards John McCain's Military Service, and said a lot of things I really don't like, which considering I come from a military family, and am part Jewish, I don't really like. The main thing is that people are tired of business as usual in the government, and our politicians not caring about us, and are massively fed up over the way things are going, but don't know what to say or do, oh and the parodies of politics, there not exactly wrong, In fact there is a lot of truth in them really, But still, If it were him and someone else, I'd vote for someone else.

Personally, I think Trump is a psychopath. He exhibits a lack of self-control and that's not someone who should have control over the nuclear launch codes. I wouldn't doubt for a second he'd try to send one just "to show who's boss" in response to a minor incident, and end up causing WWIII.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfox View Post
    Personally, I think Trump is a psychopath. He exhibits a lack of self-control and that's not someone who should have control over the nuclear launch codes. I wouldn't doubt for a second he'd try to send one just "to show who's boss" in response to a minor incident, and end up causing WWIII.

Odds are Chris Christie will do that too, considering he shut down a bridge, because of a feud between two governors, I would hate to see him as president.

What, Bridgegate? Doubt he was the one who came up with the idea, most likely one of his PA buddy-buddy suggested and he went along with it. He's still a politician, and good at manipulating hot air during election. His popularity in the Garden State is in the gutters right now, something that is rarely mentioned.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and shutting down the GWB was supposedly to "get back" at the democratic mayor of Fort Lee, which is where the NJ side of the bridge is located. It only became a scandal because people couldn't get their cover story straight.