Diapers in an emergency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the case of emergencies such as discussed here, I am not worried about what the EMT's or ER doctors and nurses think. As people have said, their business is to treat injuries and disease, not to make judgments.

However, what does bother me is this. By the nature of an emergency, I probably have not de-ABDLed my bedroom (that is there are diapers, baby clothing, panties, etc around). Being in the hospital I very likely need a new set of clothes and having a neighbor or my mom go to my house and pick-up some clothes - now that bothers me!

I've admitted before on here that getting in some kind of (actual) emergency while also wearing diapers is sort of a thrilling idea for me. I don't know why. Maybe it's the exhibitionist in me. While I never would do something to end up in the ER or hospital while diapered on purpose, I do routinely find myself in public while also wearing diapers. If I were to end up in a car accident or something, the thought of having my diapers exposed is strangely appealing.

When I drive on the hwys for business trips wearing diapers, i often think of the possibility. The humiliation on one level and also the excitement of it.

My spouse works at a hospital and has routinely said that the medical staff would completely crack up and laugh at anyone wearing diapers on their floor or in their unit. Of course, to the patient's face, they would be totally professional...but behind the scenes, these are the kinds of stories they go home and tell their family members. Sure, it's against HIPAA but spouses at home know that too... I've heard more than my share of stories (sans names) -- and I'll say that there are a lot of weird behaviors.

Anyways, my point is an adult in the hospital who WANTS to wear diapers (or is brought in wearing an ABDL diaper) will very likely become the butt of jokes among the medical staff whether he/she comes to know it or not. This is my biggest actual misgiving about my little fantasy idea -- I live in a very rural region and almost everyone knows everyone else. Even if not, everyone certainly knows someone you know. Word will get around. Shudder...

Duality said:
They're legally bound to not disclose that information to anybody under rules and guidelines in accordance with HIPPA. If they break those rules, it is a felony and they can get crucified for it.

No, it's not a felony. Even in Texas and California, the two States with strict patient privacy laws, no one would be prosecuted for telling someone else you wore a diaper to the hospital.

Not a felony, but civil penalties could apply if that person could prove damage was done

I was in an accident a week or so ago. I was padded and unhurt so the fact I was padded never crossed my mind. I did end up in the back of a police car headed to Wal-Mart, but fortunately not frisked first. LOL

pampers4U said:
Not a felony, but civil penalties could apply if that person could prove damage was done

While HIPAA protects the health information of individuals, it does not create a private cause of action for those patients affected by physician or medical employee laxity. State laws, however, may provide other types of liability. As I said above, no one would be prosecuted for telling someone else you wore a diaper to the hospital. I'm not sure you'd want to sue a doctor on the point; you'd surely wind up in court where the "secret" would then be public knowledge.

BabyDenise said:
However, what does bother me is this. By the nature of an emergency, I probably have not de-ABDLed my bedroom (that is there are diapers, baby clothing, panties, etc around). Being in the hospital I very likely need a new set of clothes and having a neighbor or my mom go to my house and pick-up some clothes - now that bothers me!

I occasionally have friends over that bring their kids. ages 5-10 have no restraint and will get into anything if they get bored and their parents aren't paying attention. And since that sometimes happens, I consider my house free game for kids. Living on my own I can do as I please, and in my bedroom there's a large cabinet for my diapers. It's just a cheap small one with two wardrobe doors and no lock, so I added a simple lock, ON THE TOP. I always lock it, but I keep the key in the lock so it's more of a latch. This prevents snoopy kids that wander in from swinging open the doors and seeing a sea of diapers. I've just made it a habbit of mine to ALWAYS latch it when I close the doors, even if it's right before bed. Whatever the case, it's always locked so unexpected company is never a worry for me.

And if I ever ended up in the hospital and needed to send a runner for clothes etc, that should be sufficient to keep any responsible adult out. The lock is just above eye level, leaving just the key visible, but it's very hard to spot amongst the clutter on top of the cabinet. It's been spotted twice, and I just explain that's where I put things I don't want the cats getting into, and one of them knows how to open doors (true story) hence the lock with the key left in it. I've never been questioned further on that.

I threw up a quickie gallery here: https://www.adisc.org/forum/album.php?albumid=1472

(the pictures aren't in the correct order... can someone tell me how to change the order of the pictures in the album? renaming them doesn't seem to help?)

I don't worry about being in an accident or something while wearing a diaper so much as some emergency or other weird circumstances happening to someone else while I'm diapered and not able to easily become un-diapered.

As a non-emergency example that actually happened, I once engaged in some ill-advised diaper wearing to a restaurant with friends where everything ended up taking several hours longer than expected. Due to some longer than expected dinner conversation, a line for the one remaining stall in the bathroom, and hitting some construction traffic on the way home, I ended up with a full to the point of leaking diaper and a painfully full bladder during the drive home.

As a crazy hypothetical, what if I see someone drowning but I'm wearing a diaper under my clothes? I'm a strong swimmer and have all the water rescue training from boy scouts, there's no way I'd not jump in after them if the situation warranted it. There's no way people wouldn't notice a waterlogged dry 24/7 under jeans.

I also worry about something like an earthquake happening and stranding me away from home while diapered. Wearing a diaper (or even going commando) while hiking back over 20 miles of destroyed road, and then digging through rubble to get my clothes out, and then dealing with the rest of the earthquake aftermath with all of the bad chafing I'd probably get from it wouldn't be fun at all.

I was a paramedic years ago and I've come across diapered patients in their homes more than a few times.

As a truck driver, I've certainly come to terms with the possibility of waking up in the back of an ambulance, maybe with not much else on, other than my protective clothing. I realized long ago that I just have to accept that it could happen, and that its out of my control. I've resigned myself to the fact that I might be questioned about need, either by ER staff, or nurses, etc., and my response would be that I have "issues" (IBS, urinary leakage, etc.) that require a little protection, the diapers are my method of choice. If I was going under for any reason, I think I'd be asking for diapers, as opposed to a catheter & bag, since I had a horrific experience during my last surgery, and would NEVER want to replicate that (careful with those caths!). I do realize that in some circumstances, they need to measure volume, color, etc., post surgery, and that's not as easy to accomplish in diapers, as with a cath & bag, but unless it was absolutely necessary, I'd be asking for diapers, no matter the cost or quality, since the VA would just be taking care of that. It'd probably get back to my primary that I needed diapers, but the IBS is already documented, and the pee leakage I would just claim embarrassment as the reason I never divulged it, just using diapers / pullups to deal with it. If he/she wanted to "run tests", I'd just say I'm OK dealing with it using my own methods, and I'm not wanting to be on any additional meds, etc. Who knows, maybe I'd get the prescription???

Frankly in serious trauma all your clothes are going to be off in short order and tubes allover the place. By the time you wake up you'll be in a place where they didn't even know how you were dressed when you came in. Besides, even if you were incontinent, it's not a deal at all to the hospital. My son has some pretty bad neuropathy issues and is incontinent to some amount. He typically wears the depends men's realfits, but I picked him up from surgery one day and they had placed a diaper on his bedside table in case he wanted it as he was getting dressed to leave. I avoided asking him that if he wasn't going to use it I'd take it :)

willnotwill said:
I was a paramedic years ago and I've come across diapered patients in their homes more than a few times.

In your experience how do paramedics react to seeing someone in diapers? Like - is that observation part of hour overall evaluation on the way to the hospital? Or or is something like incontinence such a low priority relatively speaking that it just is ignored in the moment?

Did you ever have a patient about whom you were surprised to see diapered ? (Eg not a very old person or not someone with an obvious disability?)

I've never really thought about this since I generally like to think that I am not going to be in some serious accident. If something does happen where I need an ambulance and to go to the hospital, whether I'm diapered or not is irrelevant. Yeah, it might be embarrassing to be seen in a Bambino or something, but I think that in that situation, I'd be too concerned about my health to care.

cm90210 said:
In your experience how do paramedics react to seeing someone in diapers? Like - is that observation part of hour overall evaluation on the way to the hospital? Or or is something like incontinence such a low priority relatively speaking that it just is ignored in the moment?

Did you ever have a patient about whom you were surprised to see diapered ? (Eg not a very old person or not someone with an obvious disability?)

It's by and large entirely disregarded. Many times these patients are having cardiac events of some sort and nobody is concerned with incontinence at that point. Amusing side bar...when working in the ER as part of the latter stages of my training a helpful ER doc offered to show me how to insert a foley. I pointed out we didn't do that in the field, the patients could wait on that until they got to the hospital. I did one night however get hooked into helping the trauma resident insert a central line when all the nurses and interns were busy.

I only recall one time when a patient asked if her daughter (who was present) change her before we took her out (it wasn't that urgent of a transport so we did).

I would agree with what most people are saying here, as far as you are concerned as the patient we would all be very professional in any interactions with you, and for an age group/medical illness/other demographic that would explain wearing a diaper we would not think twice about it. The other side of that though is that if it seems that you have no reason to be in a diaper (we usually have a pretty good sense regarding this stuff in general) you will probably have a few jokes made among the staff caring for you away from patient areas. As far as HIPPA and privacy laws go they protect health information given with identifying patient information, so while you don't need to worry about a staff member giving identifying information to people not involved in the care of the patient, if we had a pt who had a particularly odd/amusing story that often will get told in a de-identified way.

Well as long as its on topic for once I actually did have a padded experience in a hospital, I got really messed up ( busted collarbone, cracked rib , collapsed lung, and dislocated knees, and top it off and M4). I got a redneck ambulance (bed of a pickup) and once admitted they didn't care about the
M4 at all, I was mostly conscious for the whole event even when they cut my motocross gear off except for boots and helmet (way too much $$ to cut off)I laid in an ER bed for 9 hours in that M4. Although the attending nurse did ask if I needed a new one to go on my out.

bdb2004; said:
while you don't need to worry about a staff member giving identifying information to people not involved in the care of the patient, if we had a pt who had a particularly odd/amusing story that often will get told in a de-identified way.

I think there is a lot of truth to this. My spouse works on a floor in a hospital and says routinely that this is the case. They'll be professional to your face, of course not expose private details publicly, but they're also human -- and will laugh at oddities all afternoon if they see them. I know I've had my fair share of funny/weird stories that while they don't contain any names or details, provided the two of us with hours of conversation and entertainment.

cm90210 said:
I think there is a lot of truth to this. My spouse works on a floor in a hospital and says routinely that this is the case. They'll be professional to your face, of course not expose private details publicly, but they're also human -- and will laugh at oddities all afternoon if they see them. I know I've had my fair share of funny/weird stories that while they don't contain any names or details, provided the two of us with hours of conversation and entertainment.

So this guy goes to the doctor's office for an unscheduled appointment. His regular doctor isn't in, so he has to see the only other available doctor on duty. She comes into the room and he's sitting on the table. She asks what's wrong, and so he stands up and drops his pants and underwear, exposing the absolutely smallest penis she's ever seen on a man. She realizes too late she's lost her professionalism and has spontaneously started laughing at the poor man.

After regaining her composure, she apologizes profusely and tells him it will not happen again. "So tell me what the problem is?" The man responds, "it's swollen."

The doctor covers her mouth as she quickly runs out the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back