Thread: When the cashier says something unexpected...

Default When the cashier says something unexpected...

I have a job in construction, which means I'm traveling all over the surrounding area. I've been working for a while at a job an hour from my home with a Walmart right along the way, so whenever the urge to stock up on my cheaper diapers hits me, it's right there. It's convenient and nobody I know shops or lives around there, so accidental encounters aren't a real concern (unlike the time a coworker got in line behind me at the self-checkout just after scanning 2 huge packs of Depends and didn't say anything before she came up behind me to spook me like friends do. Boy, that was nerve-wracking, but I think I got away without her noticing, and at this point I don't care if she did.)

So yesterday I stopped in because I was out of Depend Protection with Tabs, which for some reason, I still favor over the premium diapers I've started using. I ended up getting two packs of those, plus a bunch of other diapers, a big pack of womens panties, two bottles of personal lubricant, and some unrelated household goods I needed.

With the number of unusual items in my cart, I figured it might be best to go through the self-checkout lane rather than face a cashier while buying both Huggies and KY...

But when I got to the front of the store, the self-checkout lanes were packed and moving slowly, so I bit the bullet and got in the line with the least interested-looking and least threatening cashier, a short, tired-looking Hispanic woman in her 50s.

When she was ringing me up, I got a text message, so I wasn't looking at her for most of the transaction. But when she got to the Depends (S/M), she held them up slightly...

"Are these good? You like?"

I was put off guard for a second, and just shrugged and made a "meh, so-so" face.

As she bagged them, she said "I like the large, they work good."

For some reason, I got sheepish and said "Yeah, I don't really know, they're not for me."

"Oh," was all she said.

I ended up quietly suggesting she check out NorthShore Care, since they're pretty close to where I live and have free one-day shipping. I'm not sure if she really understood what I was saying, there was a bit of a language barrier, but I felt like maybe I had done a good deed by recommending a better selection of incontinence supplies to someone who needed them for medical reasons. Sometimes the cashier will remark on your purchase in a very unexpected way.

My guess is that she might have a relative who needs protection. She probably thought you were doing the same. Anyway, will you go back to her line next time?

Quote Originally Posted by tg4selfcheckout View Post
    For some reason, I got sheepish and said "Yeah, I don't really know, they're not for me."
    That's what we ALL say at the checkout, right? right? so yeah, they were probably for her.

Isn't it amazing how diapers are the one product that seems to get people's attention. It never fails!