Plushies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozbub

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
There's a couple a threads currently exploring the joys of our favourite cuddly friends, and this got me thinking. Now I'm sure I'm not the first to recognise this and there's probably some psychological theses written on it somewhere, but I'll have a crack anyway.

Isn't it strange that almost all of our plushies are based on some of the most powerful dangerous and cunning animals in the world. Of course we carefully remove all of their ferocity by reducing them to their most vulnerable form. Sound familiar?

What are your thoughts on this, and what if anything does your plush or fursona perhaps, say about you.

Lol that's a great point. I think at least for me my fursona is in a way a representation of how I see myself/wish to be. Foxes are cunning and intelligent. They represent quick wit and outstanding smarts. For me I strive to, and possible are, that way. I want to be a lawyer I want to use my intellect to earn money and win cases, much like a fox uses its mind to win food. My plush on the other hand is a representation of safety and comfort. I don't know if it holds any extra meaning other than its my favorite animal, but if it did I would assume it has something to do with my self image and the comfort I find in it. Also it may relate to the brave and strong image associated with such animals that also gives us and me a feeling safety and comfort. Anyway good post and awesome question.

Rabbits are also pretty popular, although Easter is surely a factor. I think it's probably just a representation of animals that get attention or interest. Bears got a leg up from Teddy Roosevelt but they're still popular critters. I don't read too much into it.

Trevor said:
Rabbits are also pretty popular, although Easter is surely a factor. I think it's probably just a representation of animals that get attention or interest. Bears got a leg up from Teddy Roosevelt but they're still popular critters. I don't read too much into it.

Haven't you seen the Were-rabbit Trevor..............O.O

:giggles:

ozbub said:

Not to mention the rabbit from Monthy Python and the holy grail. *giggles*

Anyway, quite interesting, but I don't know. Removing all of an animals ferocity by reducing them to their most vulnerable form as a plushie... but what for? Of course it makes sense in making them seeming to be less dangerous as their realistic counterparts are... it appeals to a different side of them.
But wouldn't this take away the the kind of natural fear we have in hindsight? Then I'd rather say it's of course the portrayal of a dangerous animal (most of the time) so it's able to protect their chosen protégé... in a way. Who else could keep away all those monsters at night if not a fierce and brave (teddy)bear!
The Don't be afraid of the dark ad from Steiff kinda fits in context.
[video=youtube;hOrSrM03aTc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOrSrM03aTc[/video]

Nevertheless, I guess there is a aspect about it in trying to take away a negative image by making any plushie more or less appealing, at least for children. Even if it's a scary bug, mice, rats or anything else.
Or it's just a way of children being able to drive their parents crazy and showing them a thing or two about prejudices: "Oh he/she's is always carrying around this nasty spider plushie!"

Well, I have my plushie werewolf, a plushie cobra, and of course, my plushie sea snake along with my plushie box jellyfish. He's made out of that squishy plastic that feels exactly like a jelly fish, and it even injects battery acid, replicating a lethal dose the box jelly is capable of inflicting. But no, I don't see it.......dangerous plushies?

Okay, okay....I don't have those, but I do have a very large bear and yes, he's very friendly and cuddly. I also have a cute puppy plushie, but then there's Moose! He's pretty much a psychopath and late at night, I hear the soft pad of his paws as he roams the house. In the morning, I have to put all the kitchen knives away.

ozbub said:

daLira said:
Not to mention the rabbit from Monthy Python and the holy grail. *giggles* [snipped]

My days of receiving plush rabbits predate both of those. All I've got for dangerous rabbits is: [video=youtube;-XYa3RxWvvA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XYa3RxWvvA[/video]

You can read a lot into this if you want, in several different ways. On the one hand Ozbub is getting at the idea that by giving a young child plush versions of powerful animals, the child will grow to feel that he/she can control and is superior to those animals, which leads into the general species belief we have that we're above all other species.

On the other hand, one could just as plausibly argue that by rendering some of the most beautiful animals into plush form, we present them to children in a way that is safe, leading to the children seeking education about the real animals and creating a love and respect for the preservation of such wonderful creatures.

It's not so surprising that we make plush cubs, pups and kittens etc. I guess there's just something about the innocence of all things when they are young. There's no doubting how cute most animals are when they're babies, regardless of how threatening they may become....unfortunately that also includes us. I guess the realities of survival just force us to become wary and in some ways aggressive. Babies of any species apparently represent no threat. Actually I love to watch how baby animals of different species interact so freely and accepting of each other. Maybe the plushies are symbolic of our deep desire for that kind of innocence.

ozbub said:
It's not so surprising that we make plush cubs, pups and kittens etc. I guess there's just something about the innocence of all things when they are young. There's no doubting how cute most animals are when they're babies, regardless of how threatening they may become....unfortunately that also includes us. I guess the realities of survival just force us to become wary and in some ways aggressive. Babies of any species apparently represent no threat. Actually I love to watch how baby animals of different species interact so freely and accepting of each other. Maybe the plushies are symbolic of our deep desire for that kind of innocence.

That is true, and yes I personally think it is that in so many ways, I have a plushie named buster, who's a dog, Ironic sence my fursona is a cat, still that is true though.

I never thought about this and it is very interesting. When I was younger I remember my parents getting me a monkey plushi one time and another time I got a muskrat which was really cuddly and I also remember getting a turtle. I would think that the more popular plushies like teddy bears are popular the like they are because they are the most well known plushies and they appear cute in plushie form and it seems suitable for younger children.

Funny. I just posted on Tumblr a picture of the Chewbacca plushie that I want to get. Everyone knows that Wookiees are mighty ferocious - if not very cuddly at the same time :)

I remember having a Pound Puppies plush growing up, I don't remember what happened to it though but it was very soft and cuddly.

There were a few I had growing up, Like The Idaho Potato mascot, and a few others.

I have a few pony plushies, but the first one I bought was of a villain character; Nightmare Moon.

I have had a small research on this matter.

The choice seems to lie on either the human-like look of certain animals (ursine creatures) or in the idea that, by having an harmless and non-threatening-looking representation of a dangerous animal, we are protected from the terrors and dangers by the beast (lions and other great felines).

As little one, the variety was large, but no one of them appealed me, ever.

I had a duck billed platapus and a turtle stuffed animals, also pickahu, a wolf, bat and a unicorn and a seal!

I have Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Scootaloo, Princess Luna and Nightmare Moon, but the pony plushie collection keep expanding :)

I bought an Uglydoll Uglycorn from Amazon about a year ago on a whim and completely fell in love with him when he arrived. I named him Paul and have slept cuddled up with him every night since he arrived. I have no idea what that says about me. :hug:

This is an interesting topic. For me a lot of the plushies I own are based on animals I like and would like to own as a pet but can't (things like tigers and other big cats mainly, but also a few other things like foxes and bears) so having those plushies is like being able to own that animal in a way. There's probably more to it than that, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back