Furmeets, get togethers, and furcons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scifer555

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
I really want to be more active in the furry community and I know I could start by going to conventions, meets, etc. I am a very socially awkward person... or was up until a year ago. I have moments of social anxiety but I don't want to be a victim, I want to be free to be myself. Are furcons and all that... I guess... worth going to?

I've not been to any cons or meetups yet, as I'm still very new to the scene myself. But I will say that I've met some amazing folks on sites like FA and FW and we do a lot of chatting through Skype. Good way to get to know others first, and then when you do attend a con or a meetup you can connect with the folks that you've been conversing with online. They really sound cool and I look forward to attending one someday soon (and hopefully go to one of those parties that Deft Leppard holds). :)

Premetheus said:
I really want to be more active in the furry community and I know I could start by going to conventions, meets, etc. I am a very socially awkward person... or was up until a year ago. I have moments of social anxiety but I don't want to be a victim, I want to be free to be myself. Are furcons and all that... I guess... worth going to?

I'm socially awkward, shy, & don't like large groups of people. I had an amazing time at my first con. I was basically dragged to it. Was scared to death. Took me a few days to open up, but I had an amazing time. Wished I'd opened up more, & talked with more people.

The people I did meet were amazing. I even met some fairly close people to where I live.

Mattew said:
I'm socially awkward, shy, & don't like large groups of people. I had an amazing time at my first con. I was basically dragged to it. Was scared to death. Took me a few days to open up, but I had an amazing time. Wished I'd opened up more, & talked with more people.

The people I did meet were amazing. I even met some fairly close people to where I live.
I think I want to go... but I would not go alone.

- - - Updated - - -

shibapawz said:
I've not been to any cons or meetups yet, as I'm still very new to the scene myself. But I will say that I've met some amazing folks on sites like FA and FW and we do a lot of chatting through Skype. Good way to get to know others first, and then when you do attend a con or a meetup you can connect with the folks that you've been conversing with online. They really sound cool and I look forward to attending one someday soon (and hopefully go to one of those parties that Deft Leppard holds). :)
Thank you for your input, I very much appreciate it. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Note said:
Lucky you, you live in the one part of the world where those sort of social gatherings are plentiful. Deft Leppard (my furdad) holds meets at virtually every con, mainly MFF. He held one for Anthrocon this year, too, had a turnout of around 40 that attended the meet, about 1460 fursuiters, and nearly 5000 non furry locals all up. If you want to get involved with meets, he's the Leopon to talk to.

In any case, if you decide to do the whole "lone wolf" thing there is nothing wrong with that, there are a lot of activities to take part in and many things to buy and you'll make friends along the way, etc. It is a lot more fun and less nerve-wracking if you meet up with others you know, of course...
I am a lone wolf (Great Dane actually but I get the metaphor) who is tired of being alone all the time. I would want to go with someone.

Skype does help. I chatted with several on Skype & Teamspeak before I met them in person.

Oohhh I'm so envious of everyone near a lot of furcons! I have to travel to my neighboring country to attend Nordic Fur Con (Fuzz con? too lazy to check) and the next one nearest to me would be in Germany or UK :(The furry scene is pretty big in here, too so it could work in here! Like.. in every anime or popular culture con there is a moderately-sized furmeet, too!

On the topic now ehem.. I know a lot of furries have started out really socially awkward, but they have grown to be maybe not social but less anxious x)
I used to be a complete recluse, but now I have plenty of friends and have no problem making new ones! You are at the age now when I was the most awkward ahaha! So yeah, start by talking to ppl in skype and forums and whatnot. Make a little circle of people you know and meet up at a con with them?

Premetheus said:
I can't go to any furry conventions because I'm dirt poor, I live with my mom, and I live in the wonderful world of Akaska. So I can't really do large events. However since I love in a city of about 400,000 you get to know people and I have found a really good amount of furries and different furry groups locally even a handful of babyfurs. Right now my close babyfur friend is putting together an AB/DL observance event locally so that should be interesting. For such a small city we have a really high AB/DL population per capita and I keep finding more every year. I wish you the best of luck on finding other furs. They are out there you just have to find them :)

i'm back in ontario after being away a long time, so i'm excited to go to some furmeets finally

Mattew said:

I'm the same way. Going to a con is on my bucket list but I'd probably have to be dragged to it. My shy side would probably be screaming some form of bloody murder no matter how much fun it sounds. :D

The con was fun. Everyone was so open, friendly, nice, & accepting. TFF is a big cub furcon. There was a bunch there & most of the staff was cubs. I was too worried about it all. I wished I'd opened up sooner. It was an amazing time when I finally did.

Premetheus said:

My only interaction with the furry community for my first couple of years was online only, and in that time i found quite a few furs i really enjoyed talking to.
Then, i was invited by one to his birthday party, which was held some 450 odd kilometres away from my home town..
Coincidentally, i had that week already organised to have holidays from work, and,, had already booked my week away in the town where the party was! uncanny or what?
So i spent the first few days of my holidays deciding if i should go or not, my anxiety playing on me, and i was still debating wether to go or not until about 30 minutes before the party was due to start.
So i said to my old high school friend who i was visiting that day, "im going to a party" (me explaining to him i was going to hang with a bunch of peeps i had never met that wear tails is another story lol) and off i went!
To cut this already long story short, when i got there i was thinking "what am i doing here?", by the end of the day i had had the most fun in ages, made a pawfull of friends (one who was to become my partner for 3 years after that) and have since never hesitated going to meets or cons when time and my budget allows! :)

Yeah there's a good chance I will go furry in order to meet more people because it's rather easier for me then to go to like Colorado for that actually.

I've been going to conventions for years, mostly anime ones, and I went to my first furcon this year. It was the best experience of my life and I loved every minute of it! People were so open and friendly. They're so worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back