Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What heroes does your country have?

Error404

Default What heroes does your country have?

So, I was on the way home with my best friend today and we were discussing the 'heroes' of our country. By heroes, we mean people of myth and legend that were especially awesome, however, it was only after a short while that I realised that England doesn't really have all that many. After we'd shot off the few names we could come up with, we moved on to trying to call out of memory, other countries heroes...Suffice to say, we didn't get many other than the more publicisized legends such as Sinbad and the like.

So! Topic:

Who are your countries heroes of myth and legend and what's the story behind them?

Englands would be Sir Lancelot and King Arthur. The origins behind the 'Excalibur' myth.

Ireland would be the story of Caladbolg, the sword able to cut through mountains (Though from memory, I cannot remember who wielded such.)
    Last edited by Error404; 12-Feb-2009 at 19:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Error404 View Post
    Englands would be Sir Lancelot and King Arthur.
    Sir Lancelot? SIR LANCELOT!?!!?!? my apologies but Lancelot was more than likely a fake than an actual hero. although Arthur on the other was a real hero. you've seemed to have forgotten Winston Churchill, although he was an ass, he was a hero. And Stephen Hawking.

As for heroes for my country, all I can think of are war generals, martyrs, and Davy Crockett.

And I guess Richard Feynman.

Error404

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoToad View Post
    Sir Lancelot? SIR LANCELOT!?!!?!? my apologies but Lancelot was more than likely a fake than an actual hero. although Arthur on the other was a real hero. you've seemed to have forgotten Winston Churchill, although he was an ass, he was a hero. And Stephen Hawking.

As for heroes for my country, all I can think of are war generals, martyrs, and Davy Crockett.

And I guess Richard Feynman.
    Apologies. I guess I didn't make myself all that clear. I meant to say heroes of myth and legend.

There are legends of King Arthur, but none of Winston Churchill. He WAS a hero, but in that factor, there'd be far too many to name.

dprdinky

Well there are myths/legends of real people of history - for example Daniel Boone, some of our Presidents - i.e. George Washington has a myth about him cutting down a cherry tree when he was younger. St. Patrick was known for "driving out the snakes" of Ireland.

So I guess you are really wanting to know about are individuals who really never lived and also think of them as heros.

Well we do have some of those people We have many comic figures, like Superman, Batman and Spiderman. I could go on to point out many more.

Then we have many movie characters who have become heros to us in many ways as well.

Error404

Quote Originally Posted by dprdinky View Post
    Well there are myths/legends of real people of history - for example Daniel Boone, some of our Presidents - i.e. George Washington has a myth about him cutting down a cherry tree when he was younger. St. Patrick was known for "driving out the snakes" of Ireland.

So I guess you are really wanting to know about are individuals who really never lived and also think of them as heros.

Well we do have some of those people We have many comic figures, like Superman, Batman and Spiderman. I could go on to point out many more.

Then we have many movie characters who have become heros to us in many ways as well.
    I'm more looking for Cultural icons, perhaps even religious figures. Comic characters aren't really heroes of myth and legend. They're different, they're animated and aren't supposed to have taken part in any of our lives.

dprdinky

Paul Bunyon,

Since America doesn't really have myths, Chuck Norris. He is so awesome he does and does not exist.

dprdinky

Actually there are myths, among the Native Americans (Indians) of the USA. I couldn't really speak to you about them, as I'm not a Native American

Since there many immigrants from Europe and other parts of the world our myth and legends have been brought here from other areas of the world.

Are you referring to RL people like Abraham Lincoln, George Washington or Harriet Tubman, who faced almost insurmountable challenges in their lifetimes and succeeded, or characters that are larger than life (but may be/ are rooted in some real persons exploits) like Johnny Appleseed, Pecos Bill, or John Henry.

Also what about Rob Roy, and William Wallace in Scotland?