Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids vs. Adults night wetting dynamics

Default Kids vs. Adults night wetting dynamics

I was recently thinking about how goodnites or even tape-on overnight baby diapers manage not to leak when worn by kids in the appropriate age range.

So what makes adults different? Kids can roll around all night and wet in all different positions and not leak but adults have to be careful to only wet on their backs, etc. Etc. Lest they leak. What gives? What's the different dynamic?

I think it'd be awesome to snuggle up with a plushie into a ball on my side and wet without fear of leaking but I'm positive that's exactly what would happen. :/

This link might help: http://understanding.infantilism.org/leaks.php

It seems to be physics and "because babies are babies". It would be awesome to not have to worry about leaks no matter how I twisted, turned, or rolled; but that probably wouldn't happen.

Seriously, I don't get where the problem of leaks might be. Just use a mattress protector. That way there's no need to think about leaks and you can sleep all safe and sound without a worry.
    Two nights ago, I made the very bad mistake of going to bed with a nappie I had on all day. Although it wasn't 'used', I leaked all over the place. Even my blanket and Harvey (I'm so sorry about that, I had to drown my plushie in soap water ) got wet, we had to throw it in the washer. However I had a protector in place, not a drip on the mattress.

Babies and kids do have leaks and blowouts. Parents complain about them from time to time. I don't think we have any way to know whether it's more or less than what we experience.

I don't even use diapers myself, I've got a top quality mattress protector (After going through 12 mattress's in my life time) a fitted sheet over that and an absorbent mattress pad on top on that. If an accident happens I usually just watch the mattress pad and the doona cover. Not even worth getting upset about. Give it a try.. you may enjoy the alternative??

Quote Originally Posted by perlFerret View Post
    I was recently thinking about how goodnites or even tape-on overnight baby diapers manage not to leak when worn by kids in the appropriate age range.

So what makes adults different? Kids can roll around all night and wet in all different positions and not leak but adults have to be careful to only wet on their backs, etc. Etc. Lest they leak. What gives? What's the different dynamic?
    I think a lot of it is "pelvis shape". Infants have essentially a round pelvis area, and so one tape on each side works fine for them. Adults have a more boxy, wide pelvis, and so four tapes are necessary. Two for the lower area to seal around the legs, and two for the top area to hold up around the waist. Basically on adults, the diaper's back needs to be pulled up and down at the same time, making it really tricky for just one pair of tapes to do the job. Some people can pull it off, but it makes the size of the diaper a lot more critical to a good fit. Baby diapers are also available in a much wider variety of sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by arcituthis View Post
    This link might help: http://understanding.infantilism.org/leaks.php

It seems to be physics and "because babies are babies". It would be awesome to not have to worry about leaks no matter how I twisted, turned, or rolled; but that probably wouldn't happen.
    I liked the explanation on that site. Thanks for the link!

Trevor is right. I've looked at the Amazon customer reviews of Goodnites, and there are a lot of complaints that Goodnites leak. If I was a parent with an older, nighttime incontinent child, I would really want Goodnite to improve their product.

I think it depends on how much the bladder can hold and the amount of flow a baby can produce vs a adult.

Oh god. Having put two kids through diapers, I can personally--well, as "personally" as is possible through an anonymous web forum, anyway!--assure you that diaper leaks of all kinds happen with babies and toddlers, and they happen very often. I don't think a day went by where an article of clothing or a bed sheet didn't acquire at least a small urine spot. We struggled a lot with nighttime diapering solutions as well.

I guess the other thing to keep in mind is that, unlike adults who are trained to save up their urine over the relatively vast spans of time between visits to the toilet, babies are indiscriminate with their urinating. They urinate when their bodies are able to, which is inevitably more often than an adult would. On the other hand, the majority of us are recreational diaper-wearers, using our diapers when our bladders reach the same (or similar) thresholds of fullness that would otherwise suggest a trip to the toilet. In other words, we are prone to "flooding." Most diapers can't keep up with that.