Thread: Broken dvd player :(

Default Broken dvd player :(

My dvd player is broken. My grandmother wants me to throw it away, but I don't want to until I know for a fact it cannot be fixed. I have no experience fixing stuff... but if anyone can tell me how I'll be extremely thankful, here is a bad picture... I can take more if the lighting sucks too much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	326

What happened was, one day I was going to watch saw 5, but all of a sudden it made this weird noise and jammed, we ended up getting the dvd out, but it wouldn't work right after. My mom tried fixing it, by taking it apart, so I think she might've made it worse.

trash it.

new ones are really cheap (<$45).

these kind of devices aren't really user serviceable, so unless you have the schematics and an in depth knowledge of electronics, the bin is where it will go anyway.

Lil Snap is right. New electronics aren't meant to be serviced. I recently bought a new DVD player and found it's plastic case to be heat-fused together. There are no screws to remove, making it impossible to open the device even if I wanted to, without destroying it of course.
    While shopping the other day, I noticed that Target has a bottom-of-the-line BluRay player for $22. It was no larger than a paperback novel!
    It was very basic and had no bells or whistles, but it would certainly work better than a broken one.

Hope this helps,
    SDL

Trash it. If it were me, I would try and fix it anyway since it sounds like a loading issue, but the cold hard truth is it's just not worth repairing...

- New electronics (after the early 90's) are made with cheap plastic gears, a few IC's that do all the logic, and proprietary components that cheap as hell. Making it not only harder and more expensive to fix, but also less worth fixing.
    - The noise it made sounds like something mechanical is broken - the part will probably cost more than a new DVD player
    - Your mom tried to fix it and probably made it worse... 'nuff said
    - A DVD player from 2 years ago will get its ass kicked from a decent (~$50) DVD player that you can buy now when it comes to features and compatibility.

...such a shame, I used to love fixing home electronics (VCR's especially, when it was lucrative to repair them...)

Quote Originally Posted by sneakydl View Post
    While shopping the other day, I noticed that Target has a bottom-of-the-line BluRay player for $22. It was no larger than a paperback novel!
    It was very basic and had no bells or whistles, but it would certainly work better than a broken one.

Bluray player for $22??? I hate to call BS, but seriously hook me up with a link, or brand name, or something...it sounds like it was more than likely a DVD player (or upscaling DVD player)

$22 for a Blue-Ray player? I'm going to have to call shenanigans on that. If you can show some proof, then I'm going over to Target (whoot employee discount)

As for the DVD player, just toss it out. You can get them at Goodwill if you want to save some money. They are so cheap now (I remember when they were brand new. I feel old...)

Ok, I'll throw it out I guess. I just didn't wanna have to go without dvds LOL. In this stupid ecenomy it'll be a while before I get a new one, $40 isn't 'cheap'

I was back at Target last night and while I was there I took another look at the super cheap BluRay player as a gift idea. The price on the box (in bold print) was only possible after the buyer recived a rather complex series of manufacturer's rebates over a period of several months. This annoying little fact was in very fine print and would be easily missed by anyone who didn't perform a detailed examination. I certainly missed it the first time.
    Sorry for getting your hopes up about a $22 BluRay player. After adding up all of the rebates, the actual in-store purchase price would be almost $80! Even worse, some of the rebates aren't guaranteed. They are given at the "manufacturer's discretion". I can't believe that they can get away with pulling crap like that. They must think that most people will just roll over and buy it anyway. Not this time Target...Not this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    $22 for a Blue-Ray player? I'm going to have to call shenanigans on that. If you can show some proof, then I'm going over to Target (whoot employee discount)

As for the DVD player, just toss it out. You can get them at Goodwill if you want to save some money. They are so cheap now (I remember when they were brand new. I feel old...)
    Maybe it was a hidden promotion.

I.e There were 32" flat screens when I was working in a superstore. Normal price was about 300-500. But for an hour only... 10.