Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gender Attire: Males in Skirts, Kilts

Question Gender Attire: Males in Skirts, Kilts

A post in the AB/DL Secret Code thread about large pins on the front of kilts sparked a thought train. What do you all think about current restrictions on what men wear. Women can wear skirts, dresses, pants, shorts, or whatever. However, heaven forbid a man wear anything resembling a dress or skirt. The colors may even be restricted for men. Only recently are some straight men considering the color pink.

Now, I can understand in certain situations a bit of uneasiness. A dozen men wearing Scottish kilts and impersonating a scene from Braveheart in London could either be really funny or really bad. Viking warrior outfits are generally not accepted anywhere except by NFL football fans. Most of them just go for the helmet. Granted, these are some extreme examples.

In my opinion, people should be allowed to wear what suits them within public decency standards. We should stop worrying about specific gender expectations. If a man wants to wear a skirt or kilt or dress, allow it and worry about more important things. A company now makes a utilikilt with cargo pockets out of denim. Sure, why not? Other than price and possible harassment where I live, I would consider one.

The color thing is a different matter. I will not consider more colorful clothing choices, but also do not support bias against. Bright pink hurts my eyes, resembles red which I also avoid, and will not be a color I would consider wearing. Purple is similar. Did own a dark purple Ford truck for a while. It was nicknamed "Barney" after a popular children's show purple dinosaur. Drive a truck, the color didn't matter; wear a tie, the color matters. A double standard, I know.

So, we know my location is conservative and my opinion. So what do you all think about the possible double standard on clothing choices between men and women?

I definitely agree with you. It's all a bunch of crap. Now I've actually never really thought about wearing a skirt, but I couldn't care less if a guy wanted too. There are so many stupid constraints on men's gear .... guys stuff is really boring. My partner can go and by truckloads of really cute and colourful stuff and she looks awesome in it, but ah well jeans and tees for me...haha.. Oh I do have variety in my wardrobe (50 shades of grey lol)

In Nova Scotia, a student was bullied and beat up when he wore a pink shirt to school. His classmates responded and organized a Day of Pink which has since become an annual tradition in the school and also across the country. It was a way to show support for their fellow student, and help break down the walls of gender discrimination.

I believe that any lifestyle based on gender identification is harmful to our society. It influences the fields of employment where men and women can work (for example women still make up the majority of workers in the helping professions), and it continues to oppress the advancement of equal rights in our society for the LGBT populations.

I do agree with your observation, Jeremiah, however I think it's a broader issue than simply accepting a greater choice of colours in a wardrobe.. It's the indoctrination of our children from the time of their birth that reinforces these roles in later years. I still see so many young parents dressing their children in pink or blue depending on the gender. Why are we not past this way of thinking in 2015?

I believe people should be free to wear what they want, regardless of 'traditional' standards. A cross dressing male should be free to dress the way he wants in public. A woman should be able to wear a business suit without fear of being called butch behind her back.

Just look at the covers on the magazine racks in the stores. We are flooded with images of women with voluptuous breasts, immaculately dressed in seductive clothing. I'm sincerely grateful for Caitlyn Jenner for doing the same thing, but with a real twist. The men's magazines don't fare much better with their macho covers either.

I think it's incumbent on all of us to challenge role gender discrimination whenever we see it. It's harmful to our society and oppresses a large segment of our population. And, yes, I have several pink shirts, along with matching ties.

As a transgendered person I heavily agree. There shouldn't be any gender restrictions on clothing, and people should definitely be able to wear what they want without any stigma or harassment. Unfortunately, even though we are in the 10's, some of these restrictions still remain in most areas, so there is likely a long way to go before people can wear what they desire. Though, in public, I still believe there should be a standard of decency and such.

i can understand where you're coming from, but there are some practical issues, and which are for why i don't consider some 'men's' clothing to be manly at all.
    shirts, for one, are dainty and flimsy and cannot stand up to the rigours of manliness. and try taking one off, with all their stupid buttons, when your hands are tired or mangled from work.
    and then there's those supid 'blazers' with inbuilt shoulders pads, only fit for those lacking manly form; no real man would be seen dead in them.

so, when it comes to skirts and dresses, well, there's good reason why men don't traditionally wear them (yep, not even Scots) and without going into too much detail as to why, just hop on a horse whilst wearing one.
    and while women will wear pants/trousers/kecks for horse-riding, they continue to be better suited to skirts and dresses for hygiene and practicality's sake.

Now that it is normal for women to wear pants women have more PC clothing options than men, but both men and women are still seen in a negative light when they drift too far from gender norms. If enough men wanted to wear skirts I'm sure that would become socially acceptable but there would still be gender differences in clothing. You will be noticed if you wear anything that leads people to question your gender identity.

And isn't it time to get rid of white shirts and ties? It amazes me as to how we as men are slaves to 100 year old fashions. I do wish they would make younger looking clothes for men, like toddler looking clothes.

100% agree with everything said.

At every award show it's so entertaining to see the variety in womens outfits but for men its it a black suit or a grey suit.....*yawns*

Runways these days show crop tops are becoming fashionable, and I've seen a few proud men wear them. Its a slow change, but I believe this quiet fashion revolution is in full swing, especially with the growing acceptance of the trans community.

Those who are too close minded to accept this are gonna have to get used to it. Wear what you absolutely want with not a dam given about what people say. (as long as its stylish...)

This is part of Sociology that has intrigued me for some time (since my early twenties).

Basically it breaks down to stigma vs. ambition vs. acceptance.

If our personal ambitions are paramount then we will risk social stigma or acceptance. If our desires lay in being socially accepted then we tend to parlay this against stigma or even ridicule. If we search to fit a stigma there is little available variance to deviate from.

Each of these categories offer a different area of risk. Equally they each offer a unique element to express ourselves'.

In this way sociology offers little solace in repercussion to our choices in how we dress publicly. If we want to stand-out or express ourselves' in a certain way, we must expect the stigma attached to it. Ambition and acceptance are not paramount, nor do they trump societal norms.

I despise wearing formal wear myself. I find suits, collars, cuffs, buttons, ties, and dress shoes extremely stifling. In this way I tend to avoid any scenario where I am expected to dress in such a way. I find that men's formal wear is a non-value added reserve and because of this I refuse to mitigate such circles that judge me in such a way. I don't have the ambition. I wish to avoid the stigma and I do not need the acceptance in such a way. Instead I choose a different circle.

Adversely, I have also admired women for their array of clothing options available in most situations but am equally happy with being able to wear a t-shirt and gym shorts.

Societal judgement will always be there. Just be comfortable with how you feel and how you are representing yourself and you will have nothing to recompense or apologize for.