First time caretaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can gently pinch or squeeze the front of his diaper to see if it feels like a gel, which means it's wet. My caregiver just slips her hand inside my pants to check. It's pretty easy to tell if an adult disposable is wet; adult cloth diapers are even easier still. Have fun!

Hope every thing goes well. //As far as diaper checks I don't have any more data on that then sbmccue already inputed.

KittyKatM said:
Thanks everyone for your good advice and suggestions. I do realize that there's no way to plan out every single thing that we do, but I think I have enough ideas now to have enough to do to fill the time, and still have ideas for the future. We're actually doing this tonight, so we'll let you know how everything goes.

I have one question, though, if anyone happens to see this. What's the best way to check him for wetness? I've never even checked a real baby before so I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

It's something that very quickly becomes evident as you do it. The part where it becomes tricky is gauging how wet it is. A diaper doesn't need to be changed just because there's a bit of wetness but you probably want to catch it before it leaks.

You can do as described above, you can heft the underside to gauge the weight, or even slip your fingers inside the gathers and feel the padding inside for the level of saturation. It's often more about how playful and invasive you want to be than for any practical purpose, unless you're really adamant about getting the absolute most out of a diaper.

There are two general approaches to checking if he's wet. One is to ask. Check in once an hour maybe, just ask how his diaper is or if he's wet. If he says yes, obviously time for a change. He might also lie or fidget and lie, intentionally pretend he doesn't know or something of that nature. Should be clear from context. Wet babies need changing, of course.

The alternative is an unexpected check. You can feel the front or just quickly stick a finger in there to see. It will be clear.

The Snuggies Waddler overnight will tell you right off the bat. The poor Little thing may be scared to tell you until he trusts you. https://snuggiesdiapers.com/en/diapers/waddler-overnight The cute designs fade when wet. Not as intimate a check, but your fingers would stay dry.

Hi everyone! Thanks for all your advice and suggestions and everything. Last night went pretty well, I'd say. We didn't do too much, but I guess that's good because we were just starting out. Next time I'm hoping to maybe have more supplies for different things to do, and a little more planning done ahead of time, since there were a few minor hiccups. But for a first time, it was relaxing and enjoyable, and helped to get us more comfortable with how this will go down in the future.

KittyKatM said:
Hi everyone! Thanks for all your advice and suggestions and everything. Last night went pretty well, I'd say. We didn't do too much, but I guess that's good because we were just starting out. Next time I'm hoping to maybe have more supplies for different things to do, and a little more planning done ahead of time, since there were a few minor hiccups. But for a first time, it was relaxing and enjoyable, and helped to get us more comfortable with how this will go down in the future.

Great to hear! It's nice to have some closure on threadsb where people ask for advice. There's nothing wrong with taking things slow. I hope you'll both continue to have fun with it.

Out of curiosity, what were the "minor hiccups?"

Glad to hear things went well.

sbmccue said:
Out of curiosity, what were the "minor hiccups?"

Sorry it took a while to respond I haven't checked the thread. They were mostly technical things. Since we did it at his house, I didn't know how to work the TV or the AC so he had to break character to tell me. And the diaper was giving me a hard time too. I've never diapered a baby before, let alone an adult, so I guess I don't have the technique down just yet. But otherwise things were generally smooth.

To keep him distracted during a change let him play with a teddy bear or toy.
Glad it's working for you both.

KittyKatM said:
I've never diapered a baby before, let alone an adult, so I guess I don't have the technique down just yet.

You might try somewhat like this: Position him face up with his butt on the back half of the diaper, draw the front up and smooth it around the front of his body. Make sure front vs back are in reasonable ratio.
With your left hand, hold the left side of the front against him, and pull the back side up, opening and sticking the lower tape. Snug but not so tight that the tape is going to break loose. Then do the left side by switching hands. Right hand holds the front down, left tapes the lower tape. Do similarly for the upper tapes. If the diaper has 3 tapes on each side, do the middle one last.
This should get you started, and you may find variations that make it work better for you.
Hey, I really like the above suggestion about the distraction toy. Makes for realism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back