is this cloth or plastic backed? i can't tell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexia

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
so i have a stash of iD expert super slips in size small, and i just can't figure out if it's considered a cloth, or a plastic backed diaper. here's why i'm confused about it: on every review about the iD expert super slip that i've read online, it was said that it's plastic backed, really crinkly, and comes with double tapes (blue and white tapes). but every review was for a size medium, and i have them in size small, so i figured that there could be other differences between them than just their size.

anyway, my small sized iD has almost no crinkle sound when compared to my plastic backed attends S10, which are REALLY crinkly, and does not have those double blue and white tapes, but just one, single use tape.

photo 1.JPG

i cut the tape with scissors to see if there's another tape there, but it wasn't. also, when the tape is used, it can't be removed without ripping the backing of the diaper, and losing almost all of its stickiness. (so, no double tapes)
the backing looks, and feels like cloth, so i checked by ripping a bit of it off, and to me, it doesn't look like a piece of ripped plastic, but more like paper/cloth.

photo 2.JPG

then there are the front wings, which are see through, feel like a piece of thin cloth, breathable (didn't make my butt sweat, unlike plastic backed attends) and not water resistant. i already had a bad leak through the front wings.

photo 3.JPG

so i messed around with the diaper to see what else i can find, and i found out that the cloth sheet can easily be peeled off the diaper, and when it's peeled off, it reveals a nice, smooth plastic backing underneath.

photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG

so, the thing i want to know: is this an example of an ordinary cloth backed diaper, or is this just a plastic backed diaper with a cloth sheet over it?

i'm still on my first stash of diapers, and i had no idea what kind of backing they all had when i ordered them, and now i'm thinking about enhancing my stash with some cloth backed abenas, so i want to know if they are similar to those iDs, which i really like so far, putting that one and only bad leak aside.

sorry if i was too long, but i love writing long texts, and i really like to get into details, so i don't fail to explain anything

Hello there!
They would be classed as fabric-backed... But as you can see they have just placed another layer over the plastic... I have seen that in other brands, and also several baby diapers too. I guess it reduces the sound a little, by insulating the crinkles that plastic would make. It also allows them to have a decent waterproof back sheet. On the other hand it is another layer of fabric that could end up making it a warmer product to wear.

I did experience that removing the fabric, as you have done, does often leave the plastic backsheet quite vulnerable to tears and piercing. Not sure how those ID Slips are. Just be a bit careful perhaps.

Enjoy!
A.

Soakingboy said:
Hello there!
They would be classed as fabric-backed... But as you can see they have just placed another layer over the plastic... I have seen that in other brands, and also several baby diapers too. I guess it reduces the sound a little, by insulating the crinkles that plastic would make. It also allows them to have a decent waterproof back sheet. On the other hand it is another layer of fabric that could end up making it a warmer product to wear.

I did experience that removing the fabric, as you have done, does often leave the plastic backsheet quite vulnerable to tears and piercing. Not sure how those ID Slips are. Just be a bit careful perhaps.

Enjoy!
A.
hey, thanks for the explenation :)
i think i get it now. basically, my diapers are plastic backed, covered with a fabric sheet, and the purpose of the fabric is to supress the crinkling.

by the way, if you haven't already, you should really try the iD super. it can take a flood, it fits great, is really comfy, and it almost doesn't crinkle. well, at least my diapers are like that.

again, thanks for the explenation :)

Personally, I've never seen an iD Expert slip that is cloth-backed. I receive iD Expert Super slips via the NHS here in UK, and so far (ever since they switched from Euron a couple of years ago) the ones I receive have always been completely plastic-backed. The ones I get are large as opposed to the small, but so far there's no sign of them switching to cloth-like backing. I am due a fresh delivery shortly, so if they do change to cloth-like backing, I will let you know. And for what it's worth, I personally think that the double tape system is a complete waste of time. Maybe it's just me, but they just don't seem to stick properly the second time around. However, as Cuddlekitty said, the supers can take a fair bit and handle a flood quite well, and in my opinion, they are pretty reliable and compare well with Tena Slip Maxis.

That is a cloth backed diaper. Plastic backed diapers only have the plastic sheet without the fabric layer over it. Cloth backed has an extra layer over the plastic water-proof layer. Often, the plastic layer is extra thin or somehow breathable.

That is odd that others say they are plastic backed when yours are obviously cloth backed. Perhaps the smalls are made differently than the mediums and larges. There also could be regional differences.

Jeremiah said:
That is a cloth backed diaper. Plastic backed diapers only have the plastic sheet without the fabric layer over it. Cloth backed has an extra layer over the plastic water-proof layer. Often, the plastic layer is extra thin or somehow breathable.

That is odd that others say they are plastic backed when yours are obviously cloth backed. Perhaps the smalls are made differently than the mediums and larges. There also could be regional differences.

if that's really what a cloth backed diaper is, then i'll only try to get cloth backed from now on, and i don't understand what's with all the hate towards them (i don't believe in "remembering wearing crinkly plastic diapers as a baby" theory). i love those iD diapers.

i was reading discussions about cloth backed, and almost everyone said how they leak, but i only had two leaks with them, which were a result of not being careful. the leak through the front wings happend while i wet it laying on the side, and the other leak happend around two hours before i wrote the post. it leaked through the back a little and i got up to a wet spot on the bed, but the spot was really small, and my diaper was completely soaked to its capacity and needed changing.

by the way, are you positive that my diapers are cloth backed? i mean, did you ever had cloth backed, that were made exactly like mine, with a fabric sheet over a thin breathable plastic, and plastic free wings? i'm asking because i wanna buy abena xplus cloth backed diapers next time i'm ordering, and if they're anything like those iD, then i think i'll love them

I have tried Abena, Molicare and Northshore supreme cloth backed diapers. I like all of them even ordered a case of the Molicare premium super plus. It will be here tomorrow. I haven't had any leaks with them so far. They feel cooler in this summer heat then the plastic back version. Though I do like the plastic backed because they slide around more when moving where the cloth back stick more to your clothes. The Abena and Northshore run smaller size then the Molicare in the medium. Plus you can refasten the tapes on them because they are a hook style tape and not sticky back. Only problem I can really see is them stretching when wet. I have always worn compression shorts over my diapers to keep them in place and quiet them down to be more discreet. Though I will mention that the Abena has regular tape tabs and not the hook tabs. They stick good just can't refasten them as the cloth fibers stick to the tape.

Draventhedark said:
I have tried Abena, Molicare and Northshore supreme cloth backed diapers. I like all of them even ordered a case of the Molicare premium super plus. It will be here tomorrow. I haven't had any leaks with them so far. They feel cooler in this summer heat then the plastic back version. Though I do like the plastic backed because they slide around more when moving where the cloth back stick more to your clothes. The Abena and Northshore run smaller size then the Molicare in the medium. Plus you can refasten the tapes on them because they are a hook style tape and not sticky back. Only problem I can really see is them stretching when wet. I have always worn compression shorts over my diapers to keep them in place and quiet them down to be more discreet. Though I will mention that the Abena has regular tape tabs and not the hook tabs. They stick good just can't refasten them as the cloth fibers stick to the tape.

is cloth backed abena x-plus lvl 4 worth the money? i really want a diaper that is as thick as it can be. i only wear at home when no one can bother me, so discrecety is not a concern. i mostly wear them to bed, so i'm looking for something thick and comfy that doesn't leak easily and lasts through the night.

so do you think spending more money on abena would be worth getting a bit less diapers? or should i refill my stash with a lot cheaper iD diapers? i really don't have a lot of money, and i'll soon get to my only chance to buy them, so im buying a lot and i want to be happy with my purchase

Ok, so further to my post (#4 above); this I think is quite interesting, at least to some in the UK who get nappies issued by the NHS.

I recently received my quarterly batch from the NHS, and as usual they are completely plastic backed. But simply out of curiosity, I ordered a couple of samples from a UK site (Incontinence Choice - check the site out, they have a huge range, are reasonably priced, and they ship very promptly and very discreetly). Anyway, it appears that most of the iD Expert items they stock are cloth-backed, although there are one or two of the smaller sizes (no good to me!) that are PE backed.

It will be interesting to see if the NHS issued ones remain plastic-backed (is it cheaper for the manufacturer to produce them and therefore more attractive to the NHS) or whether at some point in the future they will go over to cloth backing as well.

Incidentally, the samples I bought performed equally as well as the plastic-backed ones I normally use. I really cannot find any difference, they both keep my bed dry which is all I ask, so it will not bother me in the least if they do go cloth-backed.

Goodnites are that way too. From what I've found...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back