Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay marriage is now legal in the ENTIRE United States!

Smile Gay marriage is now legal in the ENTIRE United States!

This is a great day for America because now, after much heartache and sadness, gays can be treated the same as any other person. Even though I'm asexual, I still praise Mr.Obama for overturning the injustice laws that barred same sex couples from looking their lives as they want to.

I just heard, too!
    Hooray!

It's awesome to finally not have to worry about state-to-state uncertainty--to not feel compelled to consult a lawyer before my partner and I go on vacation, accept work in another state, or start a family.

I'm still wary that it's really over, but I suppose at this point it really is? No more half-assed rights and weird exceptions to keep track of?
    Wow, this is awesome.

Some detail on this story/ruling: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...-sex-marriages.

I expected it would go this way, but I also never quite believed it could happen. I'm a bit numb, but pleasantly so. Congratulations to all who have struggled so much for this moment! I suspect the greatest vindication of it will be how easily it becomes part of the norm, as it already has in those states that approved it.

My warmest congratulations to everyone. I think we live in a better world today because of this decision.
    Last edited by ArchieRoni; 27-Jun-2015 at 04:33.

cue those posters who will say this will be the catalyst for the downfall of western civilisation.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    My warmest congratulations to everyone. I think we live in a better world today because if this decision.
    We do in a better world, just not for those who are trying to throw religious bullshit in our faces "The lord is mad about this"

-_- Gay people are proud of this and are happy but they technically haven't won yet because now they have another mission, try to convince everyone it's not bad and just leave it all alone.

You know, I read through the statements some of the judges that didn't agree made, and oddly enough, I kind of support them. They disagreed on the grounds that it should of went through the legislature instead of the Supreme Court, because that's how our democractic republic works. There were really no hate in their words as far as I can tell. Still, really glad it happened. At least now we can start repealing local and state laws/ordinances that ban it.

Needless to say, the hate is already spewing around my area. Had to make a grumpface at mom and dad when they said some words I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Azie View Post
    You know, I read through the statements some of the judges that didn't agree made, and oddly enough, I kind of support them. They disagreed on the grounds that it should of went through the legislature instead of the Supreme Court, because that's how our democractic republic works. There were really no hate in their words as far as I can tell. Still, really glad it happened. At least now we can start repealing local and state laws/ordinances that ban it.

Needless to say, the hate is already spewing around my area. Had to make a grumpface at mom and dad when they said some words I didn't like.
    I prefer it as a mix with the court as the deciding factor. The votes mean that there will be more widespread acceptance, but to base it off votes alone means that it could be voted away as well, and I think that's the basic fairness issue under the constitution that made it fit for a ruling. Now, unless we want a discriminatory amendment, it's here to stay, as it should have been if we could have seen the rightness of it from the start.

This is a great day for equality in America. At long last, gay and lesbian Americans are first-class citizens of the United States.

Some people are going to characterize this decision as "judicial activism." To these people I ask: were you hoping for the Court to strike down a major part of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) yesterday? Were you happy when the Court struck down Washington, DC's gun control laws a few years ago? If so, it sounds as if you like judicial activism as long as the judges are on your side of the issue.

Though I'm delighted by Justice Kennedy's decision, I think the best explanation why the Constitution protects marriage equality was the Federal District Court's opinion in Perry v. Schwarzenegger, the first Federal court ruling for marriage equality.

http://documents.nytimes.com/us-dist...schwarzenegger
    Last edited by buridan; 26-Jun-2015 at 20:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Azie View Post
    I understand that the judges wanted this to go through as legislation instead of court cases, that would have been ideal. The problem was Article IV, Section 1 of the US Constitution (Full Faith and Credit Clause) was not being upheld, as states that banned same-sex marriages refused to recognize a marriage that was performed legally in another state. If that hadn't occurred, I think it would have been more than likely that this could have easily made its way through the legislative process. Couples that wanted to marry but couldn't obtain a license in their state would have been able to travel to another state and get married, then return home. The biggest hurdle that same-sex marriage faced in a lot of places was irrational fear that it would cause all sorts of problems. Once it happens and people realize it doesn't affect their life in the slightest, they stop arguing against it, and it would become legal in their area. Unfortunately, by refusing to recognize the legality granted by another state, federal courts had to intervene.