Rear Wicking Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evo19

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I've searched for this in the past, but I haven't been able to find an answer to it on here.

I've used some higher end diapers like Ballisimos and Tena Maxi's and I can never seem to wick up the rear. I am a guy so I think my male placement has something to do with it, but the front tends to leak before anything happens up the rear.

What could I be doing wrong?

The SAP distribution may not be uniform. If the SAP is applied separately from the wood pulp material, it would most definitely be focused in the front of the diaper where liquids originate. Solids and semi-solids (in exceptional cases non-solids) originate in the rear where there is substantially less fluid, therefore SAP is all but useless back there. Wood pulp is not as it would absorb any stray liquids as well as keep the wearer more comfortable. Non-premium diapers use less sophisticated and therefore cheaper manufacturing processes which would probably premix the pulp and SAP before application to the diaper backing. Recounting one of Bambinos much earlier "improvments" was the announcement of the "double-drum" process or some nonsense like that. That to me is an indication that the machine applies the absorbent material in more than one stage, which would mean you can control exactly what goes where and how much.

Both Bellisimos and Tena Maxis are high SAP diapers, which aren't known for their wicking properties. You want to try either the Molicares Super Plus or NorthShore Care Supreme to get the whole thing wet.

Your body is applying pressure on the padding, that will slow the process. Male or female doesn't make a lot of difference. Awhile ago northshore was getting complaints about poor wicking and leaks out the back corners while the back padding was dry. They responded by posting instructions on how to "prep" your diaper before going to bed. It basically involved folding the crotch so there was a "channel" down the middle for liquids to easily flow to the back where the crotch transitions to the back. There, it needed to be able to pool while the padding worked on wicking it under your weight.

That's a problem with almost any diaper, though the higher the SAP concentration, the worse the problem. If your diaper is stiff, that makes it harder to "get lucky" and have the diaper fall into that correct shape when you're taping up. The northshore supreme has both of those issues, the diaper is very high SAP and is also very stiff (mostly as a result of the high SAP) so you really need to do this to get good capacity out of it overnight. Also, high-sap diapers swell more when wet, so any channel you happened to have will get quite a bit smaller once wet, so you need to start out with a larger channel.

I've personally been doing this with my diapers for years. The bambino bellissimo are also poor wicking and require a channel to avoid leaks. The other thing of course is if you don't spend all night on your back, you need to roll onto your back to wet, and stay there for several minutes while the wicking does its magic. Turn back onto your side too soon and the wicking will work against you, sending liquids instead to the back corners, causing a leak. Also, with a higher-SAP diaper, once you have the back about 1/2 wet, you need to avoid floods, because it just can't wick that much rearward before you start leaking out the back corners. No amout of tightness on the lower tapes seems to be able to help much with that.

I personally know it's time to stop wetting and maybe think about getting up to change if the padding in my diaper is wet to within 1 to 2 inches of the end of the padding in the back. That's also more-or-less what I aim for most nights, a "properly used diaper" by morning.

Well i do not know if you care to double up your diapers, but i get great saturation front to back. Go buy a package of Depends (Maximum) Protection with Tabs as they wick really quite well, and use a knife, diaper pin or other pointy thing and perforate the plastic shell from the top in a triangle pointing down in the front, where the tip of the triangle ends right about 6"-8" down (right at the beginning of the narrow between the legs section), and in then do the same in back about 10"-12", then put your favorite diaper on over. What this does is not allow the inner Depends diaper leak out into your favorite diaper until between the legs get completely saturated, and as it starts to wick back and front it is gradually allowed to leak into the outer diaper more and more as it reaches wider points in the triangular perforations.

This really makes a lot of sense. I knew the higher diapers had a lot more SAP, but i assumed a higher end diaper would have enough wicking to use the entire thing. I'll try folding them a little more and create that channel and see what happens with it.

Now I'll have to order some more :l oh well can't have too many!

Thanks for all of the answers and suggestions.

Wetting lying down uses the back much better. One reason why thick nappies you've worn to bed feel better than the same ones when you're up and about the whole time...

Evo19 said:
This really makes a lot of sense. I knew the higher diapers had a lot more SAP, but i assumed a higher end diaper would have enough wicking to use the entire thing.

It's a bit ironic that way, most of the "higher end" diapers tend to be high percentage SAP and so they wick poorly. You have more capacity, but it's harder to use safely. If you had a diaper with no SAP and 1/2 the "theoretical capacity", you could flood that to capacity pretty safely, because pulp is what does the wicking. Try to flood a premium to the same amount and you'd probably get a leak.

Most of the premium diapers don't drop the percentage of pulp too far and still wick fairly well. Northshore and the original Dry247's are the biggest exceptions recently. (the new 247's "confidry" wick well but are slightly lower capacity than the originals)

bambinod said:
It's a bit ironic that way, most of the "higher end" diapers tend to be high percentage SAP and so they wick poorly. You have more capacity, but it's harder to use safely. If you had a diaper with no SAP and 1/2 the "theoretical capacity", you could flood that to capacity pretty safely, because pulp is what does the wicking. Try to flood a premium to the same amount and you'd probably get a leak.

Most of the premium diapers don't drop the percentage of pulp too far and still wick fairly well. Northshore and the original Dry247's are the biggest exceptions recently. (the new 247's "confidry" wick well but are slightly lower capacity than the originals)

You are correct! I think it makes sense though...
We need to keep in mind that the majority of the products on the market are aimed at our friends who have to deal with incontinence. For those individuals flooding is probably less of a concern. More frequent smaller dribbles, or short sharp squirts are probably the more common scenarios the diapers need to deal with. Therefore the extreme-speed wicking is less critical. You are looking for increased SAP content to keep the diaper performing longer and keeping the skin feel dry for longer. The smaller volume wetting is not too much for the SAP.

Well, just my thoughts. :)
A.

Well, a lot of people with urge incontinence will let go of a full bladder all at once, therefore need a full nappy... that's more in line with typical AB/DL usage, but I suppose they probably can't hold as much in the first place, or have the urge wettings too frequently to allow the bladder to fill close to capacity.

here is another trick; before putting a fresh diaper on rub a very thin layer of vaseline (or other petrolium jelly) throughout the crotch on the inside. This will prevent the diaper from being able to suck in all the wetness there and it will have to migrate back into the bottom.

randy1959 said:
here is another trick; before putting a fresh diaper on rub a very thin layer of vaseline (or other petrolium jelly) throughout the crotch on the inside. This will prevent the diaper from being able to suck in all the wetness there and it will have to migrate back into the bottom.

Have you tried that or are you theorizing? Seems like that's setting up for major leaks at the thighs.

From changing position to Vaseline to …, it never ceases to amaze me the effort folks put into making disposables function. Probably because I was raised in them, cloth and plastic pants seem much simpler.

I think you'll find the most effective advice for overnight leakproofing a disposable is sleep on back, point down, fold channel in crotch, tape lowers around legs, in that order.

Yet to find a diaper that wicks well to the back.

dprdave said:
Yet to find a diaper that wicks well to the back.

any of the higher pulp diapers should work well. XPMedical's Absorbency Plus for example. Bambino are a good wicking medium-sap diaper. (NOT bellisimo, go with the regular sap teddy, classico, or bianco)

Tungsten said:
Have you tried that or are you theorizing? Seems like that's setting up for major leaks at the thighs.

i have tried it.. admittedly not in a long time ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back