Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fate

Misatoismywaifu

Default Fate

I have a question for you all. If you felt drawn to a higher calling but knew it would lead to your eventual demise would you continue to "obey" your inner voice or try to rebel against it and create your own path?

That depends on what the so called higher calling was, and who it was that judged this so. How would it lead to your demise? the answer to this may help you to determine the truth about the calling.

If I heard stuff like that from an "inner voice", I'd think it was messing with me, big time! The brain has a sneaky way of making us superstitious; seeing meaning in everything. Listen to the inner voice, but don't blindly obey it! Try to understand what part of you the inner voice comes from; why do you feel drawn to it; what dissatisfaction in your life has caused the voice to speak to you; what are you trying to accomplish when you consider obeying it?

It would be my guess that the inner voice is the way the unconscious mind tries to alert the conscious mind to some psychological/existential/moral/philosophical troubling. If you can unpick the rationale behind the voice/calling, then maybe you can figure out where your intellectual discomfort lays and what practical steps you can take to resolve the issue(s).

TL;DR: Look before you leap!

If I were truly fated to a higher calling, it would come about no matter whether I gave in to it or resisted it. Whatever action I took would be bound to be the one action that would ultimately bring about that which I was destined to do.

So, in the meantime, I choose to do what I wish. It will be a more pleasant path to wherever I'm going.

I believe we all have option in life, so if your called to do a higher calling we have the choice to take it or not to.
    for me I would have to weigh all options, and weather the good outweigh the bad. In the end what could be the true out come form doing it.

The inner voice is called intuition, not fate! Just our subconscious, based on experience, tell us where the right decision is. Depending on complexity of decision, you decide either you need to test your inner voice with logic, weighting all cons and pros, or can just "blindly obey" your intuition Xb

Edit: Sometimes our intuition is working even more accurately than our conscious mind, so I really doubt it can lead someone to demise.. I think, the only thing that would lead one to eventual demise is misconception that "we have no other choice" (
    Last edited by ScaredyCat; 26-Jun-2015 at 08:53.

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredyCat View Post
    Edit: Sometimes our intuition is working even more accurately than our conscious mind, so I really doubt it can lead someone to demise...
    I'm not so sure. Maybe the recent terrorist attack on church-goers in the US came about because the gunman felt a "higher calling" or intuitive reasoning that justified him killing all those people...?

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I'm not so sure. Maybe the recent terrorist attack on church-goers in the US came about because the gunman felt a "higher calling" or intuitive reasoning that justified him killing all those people...?
    Intuitive reasoning?! I think the gunman is just sick on head, and this "higher calling" is rather related to misconception, he thought it was his duty, or that he had no other choice but to kill those people (
    I heard about this incident from news, but I'm not from US, I don't really know what led him to such decision and can't judge about it :-/

You said: "..the inner voice is the way the unconscious mind tries to alert the conscious mind to some psychological/existential/moral/philosophical troubling. If you can unpick the rationale behind the voice/calling, then maybe you can figure out where your intellectual discomfort lays and what practical steps you can take to resolve the issue(s)".

In this case I just can't get how inner voice can force someone to kill innocent people? What about psychological/existential/moral/philosophical troubling? The gunman must have ignored his inner voice...
    Last edited by ScaredyCat; 26-Jun-2015 at 18:04.

I don't believe in fate (in a supernatural sense... I'm open to determinism). I don't believe in higher callings, as I don't believe in anything that would give you a higher calling. Any voices you hear in your head are your own thoughts. You're internally rationalizing your actions and/or you're mentally ill. e.g. the voices in my head are typically a mental representation of someone I know to use to bounce ideas off of. Or just thinking to myself conversationally for the same reason.

Given that though... I think this can be converted over to a not so simple question of: do you do something you believe is right/moral/etc if you know doing it will turn out badly for you... ?

And to that I'd say, you'd have to give specifics. It would be a case by case judgement.

I personally believe in God, and fate, really. Although I also believe that we have free spirits, and when he calls we can ignore him.